Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What home alarm to install

Options
  • 19-05-2012 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

I wanted to install home security alarm, but have no idea about alarm at all. can someone direct me, what to install and from who. thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Really depends on the type of property. Is there or has there been an alarm before?
    Is it a house that's prewired?

I have attached a few data sheets/brochures for you to look at.
    The Visonic is a fully wireless system . Even the eternal bell can be wireless.
    The Siemens & Securewave are hybrid systems that can accommodate both wired & wireless devices.
    The Siemens would be the system we sell the most of. Partly due to th brand being so well known & trusted & partly due to the amount of features it has over other systems in the same price range.
    Have a look over them & come back to me with some information on the type of property and what your interested in.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Offer_asking

I have no idea if the house was pre wired or not. It is a duplex house with 6 windows and two doors. No alarm was install before. will prefer the wireless one. Is there away i could get a quotation.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

There is some good information in this thread
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056242435
    there is also a link to the PSA Register of licenced installers.
    There is also some installers listed here.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055956748

If the property is prewired (There will be cables at all windows & doors) you are better using wired.
    The best way forward is to get at least 3 quotes & make sure you compare like with like. Insist on a site visit. This will ensure you are getting the best advice & best system to suit your property & your needs.
    Get all quotes in writing & ask what's included & what's not, particularly when it comes to maintenance contracts. Some company's charge you annual maintenance & may still charge you for callouts & labour as well.
    If your looking at monitoring make sure to ask what phone providers your monitoring will work with. They all work but some installers try to tell you otherwise.
    Hope this helps, if you need any more help let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

I wanted to install home security alarm, but have no idea about alarm at all. can someone direct me, what to install and from who. thanks

If the system is wire free I would also consider the HKC Quantum 70 wire free system. It is a fully wire free system including wire free external bell. With this system if you decide to self monitor it will give you an indication of the zone that has activated, e.g. back window plus if an internal PIR has being activated it will also indication this. The older systems will just give you an alarm message of say alarm activation at your address, the Quantum will tell you the zone at which the trigger of the alarm was. It also does this with UPC or any other phone provider that gives an analog line.

@ offer asking.
    Don't get confused ask for information on all quotes.
    All systems can be self monitored and all system work with all home phone providers .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 Offer_asking

Thanks will have open mind.

That's the best way. Lots of company's have ways of making offers out of what's included as standard. Especially when it comes to service contracts.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

Make sure you get everything agreed in writing also.
    That way you know what should be installed what other services are included if there are any differences after an install.

Advertisement