Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Batteries for CI

• 19-05-2012 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi All,

Could you suggest where to buy "type 675" batteries for Cochlear Implant at reasonable price and conditions for the shipment to Ireland?

Particular parts are:
    ZeniPower A675P,
    Rayovac 675 Cochlear Advanced Battery,
    Power One P675i+ High Power (Implant plus),
    Energizer C675 Cochlear Implant Battery.

For today I have found only
    http://www.deafhear.ie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Fat Robot

Update.

- long list of the batteries suitable for Cochlear Implant:
    ZeniPower A675P Cochlear
    Power One P675i+ High Power (Implant plus) (or Varta P675i+),
    Energizer C675 Cochlear Implant Battery
    Toshiba ZA675SP
    I Cell Tech 675 Cochlear Plus Implant

CI batteries at DeafHear are not mercury free (Rayovac Cochlear Advanced in red-black-white package). I don't think that idea of constantly having something that contains mercury by the head of my child is good.

- I found http://www.microbattery.com/ as a good source for different type of batteries with several shipment options.

- I had no chance to find out if Hidden Hearing Battery Scheme covers CI batteries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭shaydy

Fat Robot wrote: »
    Update.

- long list of the batteries suitable for Cochlear Implant:
    ZeniPower A675P Cochlear
    Power One P675i+ High Power (Implant plus) (or Varta P675i+),
    Energizer C675 Cochlear Implant Battery
    Toshiba ZA675SP
    I Cell Tech 675 Cochlear Plus Implant

CI batteries at DeafHear are not mercury free (Rayovac Cochlear Advanced in red-black-white package). I don't think that idea of constantly having something that contains mercury by the head of my child is good.

- I found http://www.microbattery.com/ as a good source for different type of batteries with several shipment options.

- I had no chance to find out if Hidden Hearing Battery Scheme covers CI batteries.

I asked about this yesterday, I was told you can buy straight from the maker 26 Euro for 60 batteries. Not sure if that's good or bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Fat Robot

Thank you for your information Shaydy,

This is not bad.
    Moscow prices for batteries (PowerOne) are approx. twice higher.
    Rayovac Cochlear Advanced (Not Mercury Free) batteries form DeafHear are 20 Euro for 60 pcs + 7 Euro for the shipment.
    Batteries from microbattery web-shop are in the same price as in your post.

For some reason as a temporary substitute of her own Nucleus 5 our daughter has to wear Freedom processor which came with the holder for 3 batteries. In our case it "eats" 3 batteries every 1.5 days. Batteries lifetime is dependent
    - on their type
    - on current consumption of the implant which differs from person to person.
    - slightly on ambient temperature (child's body temperature stabilizes this factor)

Personal tuning parameters from Nucleus 5 were downloaded to Freedom without additional adjustments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭shaydy

Fat Robot wrote: »
    Thank you for your information Shaydy,

This is not bad.
    Moscow prices for batteries (PowerOne) are approx. twice higher.
    Rayovac Cochlear Advanced (Not Mercury Free) batteries form DeafHear are 20 Euro for 60 pcs + 7 Euro for the shipment.
    Batteries from microbattery web-shop are in the same price as in your post.

For some reason as a temporary substitute of her own Nucleus 5 our daughter has to wear Freedom processor which came with the holder for 3 batteries. In our case it "eats" 3 batteries every 1.5 days. Batteries lifetime is dependent
    - on their type
    - on current consumption of the implant which differs from person to person.
    - slightly on ambient temperature (child's body temperature stabilizes this factor)

Personal tuning parameters from Nucleus 5 were downloaded to Freedom without additional adjustments.

Yowzer thats a lot of batteries every week, cost is a big issue with that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭zbluebirdz

I've brought loads of boxes of p675 powerone implant plus batteries from cochlear.co.uk. These batteries are made from zinc air.

Quoting from their email to me in Nov 2011:
    "The batteries come in 1 pack (6 cells) - they cost £2.02p (VAT included),
    most customers order 1 x box of batteries (60 cells), which cost £20.16p
    (VAT included)."

- I don't think they charged anything for delivery. Takes a few days to be delivered to Ireland.

PM me for the email address to buy the batteries as they don't have an online order shop for batteries.

PS: I have a Nucleus 24 Freedom BTE and it uses 3 batteries every 2-3 days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Gizmo41

Have been given the email address to order the Powerone CI batteries from the hospital and am slightly nervous of putting my credit details just into an email - it's been okay for you? Roughly how long was delivery?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Gizmo41 wrote: »
    Have been given the email address to order the Powerone CI batteries from the hospital and am slightly nervous of putting my credit details just into an email - it's been okay for you? Roughly how long was delivery?

You're right to be nervous. Don't put a credit card number in an unencrypted email. You don't want your number to be exposed in transit, or to be hanging round in someone's email archive folder for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭zbluebirdz

Gizmo41 wrote: »

Delivery was within a week.

Regarding putting credit card details into an email, if you don't feel good about it, either yourself or a trusted person can ring CI in UK. If you do put it in an email, you could request the other person to delete the email when order is completed. You'll need to delete your sent email as well. (Do this to prevent virus/hackers from finding the card details in your saved emails).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

zbluebirdz wrote: »

Regarding putting credit card details into an email, if you don't feel good about it, either yourself or a trusted person can ring CI in UK. If you do put it in an email, you could request the other person to delete the email when order is completed. You'll need to delete your sent email as well. (Do this to prevent virus/hackers from finding the card details in your saved emails).

While these steps are helpful, they don't address the entire problem. An email sent from your laptop to a UK provider will pass through a set of servers that you can't control. With any encrypted online form ('https'), the credit card number will be encrypted as it passes across the net. With a standard email, the details are not encrypted, so you just don't know who sees it, or who sniffs at it.

Don't do it.

Advertisement