Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pet autopsy

• 19-05-2012 5:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 806 ✭✭✭

Hi just wondering how long it takes usually to get the results back from an autopsy. My sis sent her 5 month old kitten off to find out the cause of death .The breeder she got her off said in the contract that the results have to be back within 2 weeks but the vets in ucd said it is inpossible to get them back that quickly that infact it takes 6 weeks.has anyone ever got a pet outopsy done and if so how long did the results take?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

Unfortunately it takes weeks, 6+ weeks. I would be concerned that the breeder is backing out of any agreement.... The breeder should be just as concerned as your sister as to why the kitten died. Is it a breed that has known health issues?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

It takes 6 weeks at a minimum to get a Post mortem result back, unless its a very obvious cause of death. It can take 4 weeks + with humans so this isnt an unusual amount of time.

With animals, samples are taken for parasitology,histology,toxicology and microbiology etc and it takes a long time for the analyses to be compiled for a complete result to be given.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

How sad: I'm sorry for your sisters little pet ; she must be feeling dreadful. She really dosnt need this extra stress.
    About the contract; I was googling there last week & I think it was on the National Consumer Association Advice website where they spoke of unfair contracts & contracts where the bias was in favour of the seller or was deemed unfair or unreasonable; and that in a claims/small claims court situation this was typically judged in favour of the consumer. If this helps. Might take a bit of pressure off your sister. If the 4/6 wks is normal the breeder should know this ; particularly as s/he is a " professional" & so in a position of authority ; and also as s/he knew enough to insert the clause in the first place.
    Hope this ishelpful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 86 ✭✭kimberworth

My dog died in February, I'm still waiting for post mortem results from UCD. Got initial report very quickly (no obvious cause of death) but still waiting for toxicology results.

Advertisement