Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metal paint for boat in salty environment

• 19-05-2012 5:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I am looking for metal paint for a boat which is located in a fairly harsh, salty environment with strong prevailing windson the west coast. I was intending to put a zinc-based primer on first and then put metal paint on top of this. Can you recommend any products that might be suitable? I used two-pack Hempel paint previously. I found this to be hard to use in that once the hardener is added, it has to be used right away. This led to lots of wastage. I also found that the paint was not very good. It former a very thin rubber membrane which peeled quite easily. So this time round I hope I can avoid the whole two-pack paint system and just use something like Hammerite. Do you think this would be durable enough? Anyone know of any deals? It's pretty expensive stuff. Is there equally good but cheaper alternatives available? It's a pretty big boat so I really need to find a cost-effective solution.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

I'd be interested in reading answers to this OP too. Although our hull and decks are wood, we have a few metal parts that have been painted, tend to peel after exposure to the Pacific, and are in need of a solution.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

You can't beat the two part epoxy paint for protection but I'm sure you will get a year or two from Hammerite or Triflow metal care paint. If you don't mind the look of it you could also try red oxide "cheep as chips"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

Is Red Oxide a brand or is it a type of paint/primer? I did a search and I see Hammerite do a red oxide primer.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

That's a good question and I'm not sure of the answer, it's been around along time and used to paint farm barns and steel beams it might be a replacement for an older paint called Red lead but again I'm not sure, maybe the ingredients are open for anyone to use. Watco also make it http://www.watco.ie/watco-red-oxide-primer.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

Thanks for the info FergalB. I have decided I'm going to go with the red oxide for the primer on very exposed surfaces and I'm going to use a metal paint which already has the oxide primer incorporated into it for general coverage. I have priced the quantities I need at B&C paints Galway. I think I will get it here but I suppose before I do, does anyone have any reccommendations for paint shops, as in good value and service? It may be worth my while to travel if there are good savings to be made :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement