Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Baby delivery tragedy [Caution advised]

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

This is my new biggest fear now!
    I was already terrified that my baby would be too big for me (I'm short and have a narrow frame).
    Now I'll be terrified of this!
    God the poor mother.
    No amount of sueing will ever even come close to helping her get over this.

Biggins wrote: »
    I came across this morning, the Mail's version of the story - which of course spelt everything bluntly out in the headline. :mad:

I am genuinely glad that they spelled it out bluntly in the headline. Otherwise I would have had to read the article and be as horrified as everyone else was. So for once in my entire life and I really never thought I'd ever say this, the Daily Mail gets a +1 from me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Funny enough it wasn't Galway or Mayo. They were the first places to enter my head.

Ah now. I know it's fashionable to insult Mayo in this forum but come on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

Abi wrote: »
    They tried for six hours to deliver -

If she attended all of her antenatal appointments, they would have had some estimation as to what size baby they were going to have to deliver.

I can't see how doctors wouldn't approach a birth with that size of a baby with extreme caution. So traumatic for the family, and what a horrendous death for that baby.

Sue like fúck I say.

Absoloutely horrific story the poor baba and the mother will never get over it:( She should definitely sue. But never trust a doctor when they tell you what weight a baby is going to be, they usually get it completely wrong.
    God today is not a good day for my nerves. Seen a picture of a dog with its ears infested with ticks and haven't been able to eat since and now this terrible story. Sometimes it's just better not to click:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I am genuinely glad that they spelled it out bluntly in the headline. Otherwise I would have had to read the article and be as horrified as everyone else was. So for once in my entire life and I really never thought I'd ever say this, the Daily Mail gets a +1 from me.

You have a valid point.
    Me with my four kids though that are just learning to read, I'd hate them to come across a headline like the Mail had.
    (Thats all.)
    Had I bought the paper (it was on their website I saw it), I would have been hiding it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 152 ✭✭Cailleachdubh

Do people not realise that horrible birth stories like this happen around the world every day? Childbirth is a very dangerous process in many countries, for both the mother and child. We are really lucky to live in a part of the world where the dangers of something going badly wrong are practically negligable. Horrible tabloid reporting all the same. Who the hell reads these awful papers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

That's fairly grim.

Oh well, off to the pub I go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭PK2008

So you really think that deVore, one of the co-founders of this very site, would create a thread to openly mock depression?

Next time read something before jumping to conclusions.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Oh Jesus Christ I just read it. Woman is going to need therapy for the rest of her life. That is just way messed up. Poor woman.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

christ almighty!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

hondasam wrote: »
    I think it might make some women opt out of giving birth naturally.
    I agree, all because of a hospitals incompetence.
    Biggins wrote: »
    I'm not telling my wife of this article.
    I know how it would effect her.

I'm not telling her because I love her.
    Totally understandable Biggins. Though hypothetically speaking, if your wife was due to give birth in THAT hospital theres no way you'd hear of it.

Thats the reason why the public need to know. Horrific as it is, people need to know about it.
    phasers wrote: »
    Jesus, what kind of force must have been involved for that to happen!?

Someone seriously incompetent and not willing to admit when they're in trouble.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

...Thats the reason why the public need to know. Horrific as it is, people need to know about it.

True, very true...
    Lord knows I know of cases where things have been covered up myself (and later exposed - but thats a topic for another thread) - but your right, such things to happen and I suspect more so than we will ever know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

I decided to read that link as I have an Obs/Gynae exam in a few weeks. Seriously wish I hadn't now.
    Can't begin to imagine how everybody involved must feel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

He should be struck off. Horrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

They pulled the baby's head off while delivering it.

I was hoping for a lot worse ;-D

• Advertisement

ziggy23 wrote: »
    But never trust a doctor when they tell you what weight a baby is going to be, they usually get it completely wrong.
    I completely respect what you're saying Ziggy, but all they can do is estimate. Antenatal will weigh you before the birth, feel about to try estimate the size, but thats all that it is. An estimate. A lot of water weight etc carried.. all they can do is judge as best they can to decide how best handle a birth. Taking the mothers height and weight into account, there are a lot of variables.

But I'll tell you this much, a 12lb kid was coming out with it's school bag on, how you could judge that so badly just baffles me.

God today is not a good day for my nerves. Seen a picture of a dog with its ears infested with ticks and haven't been able to eat since and now this terrible story. Sometimes it's just better not to click:(

As awful as it is, its reality. We can stick our heads in the sand, but it doesn't stop it being any less real.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

cgarrad wrote: »

Really what could possibly be worse?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭KamiKazeKitten

I worry for you if you did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Horrible story but what weight is your average baby boy?

7 or 8 lbs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Ive tried to maintain that for the sake of optimism and the human spirit being unquenchable that humour can be found in the most difficult and tragic of situations. I was wrong. You crossed the line dude.

7 - 10 pounds or thereabouts...10 would be considered big though.

Even if you are joking, I worry for your mentality. Perhaps you should seek professional help?

But I'll tell you this much, a 12lb kid was coming out with it's school bag on, how you could judge that so badly just baffles me.

It should never be natural birth with a baby this size. If I were pregnant now that story would traumatise and haunt me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

Zillah wrote: »
    Its tragic and all but people are being completely hysterical about it in this thread. Read the article, it's not that bad.

It's horrific and very sad but it was seen as being fit to print in a daily newspaper and it's not like there were graphic photos of it so I don't know why there's hysteria about it being linked to on this website as long as a warning is given that it will upset some people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

That doctor must feel some bad. I've made mistakes in the past where I just wanted the ground to open up and swallow me whole but to pull a new born child's head off........ I dunno how you'd deal with that.

Thats not to ignore the death of the child or the mothers grief now, that goes without saying.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

i think the mother should sue,how the hell can that happen..there is no way you can live that down after going through such a needless trauma like that..im just totally beside myself after reading it how horrific that is,i just cannot believe it,absolutely one of the worst case scenarios when thinking about birth..

7 or 8 lbs

How come the baby got so big?

I don't know! I wasn't there!
    Maybe she was overdue, or her dates were wrong?

Maternal or gestational diabetes can cause foetal macrosomia (overlarge foetus) if not controlled or if it goes unrecognised.

• Advertisement

Some babies are bigger that's all. 12lb is unusual.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

Wow, that really is an awful story. But these sorts of things do need publicity instead of being swept under the rug.

7 or 8 lbs

Could be maternal/gestational diabetes or simply constitutional macrosomia.

What?? :)
    (We aren't all midwives here! :)

Times have changed Panda. I weighed in at just over 5lbs. babies these days are double that. My 7st aunt had a 11lb baby by section. There was no fúcking way that was coming out the natural route.

7 or 8 lbs

Actually now that you say that it reminds me of a girl I worked with that had a large birth to maternal diabetes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭branbee

Without being graphic i cannot see how it actually happened. I know that occasionally a child's arm can be broken during a difficult labour but this...?? Off? God love everyone involved. Horrific stuff for all involved. That poor family.

And hopefully any expectant parents can see that as real as this tragedy is it is a rare freak accident. It is a horrible thing to think about and it relays fears that all parents have but every day perfectly healthy babies are delivered with little problems so please don't dwell on this. I know easier said than done.

What?? :)
    (We aren't all midwives here! :)

Sorry, constitutional refers to a large baby secondary to large parents to put it simply.
    I'd imagine that constitutional factors wouldn't be responsible for such a large baby though.

I'm not familiar with the standards of prenatal care in Brazil but you would imagine the large size of the baby would be evident on Ultrasound scan + physical examination???

Granted, this should never have happened in a hospital and it certainly raises some serious issues about the establishment concerned.

On the other hand, if the woman had been nowhere near a hospital she almost certainly would have died in labour herself, trying to give birth to such a big baby naturally. This unfortunately still happens all over the world in places where women have no access to good medical services. It's a horrible tragedy but an ongoing reality for many people :(

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

im grossed out after that euch it sickening i cant even imagine the horror of the exepectant parents and all involved its just so tragic

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

hondasam wrote: »
    I think it might make some women opt out of giving birth naturally. Nightmare story for mothers to be.

I have no intention of having babies but it certainly wouldn't put me off. It's a one in a billion freakish occurrence. It might put me off giving birth in that hospital if I was there, but certainly not in any Irish hospital. When did you ever hear of something like that happening here? exactly. Thankfully!

And natural birth is statistically much safer than cesarean except in a small number of situations and the recovery rate is much faster. A c-section is major surgery, I don't think a lot of women think about that when they opt for an elective C-section.

Advertisement