Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pitched roof/ceiling Insulation

• 19-05-2012 6:22pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 250 ✭✭

I live in a dormer Bungalow and am considering adding insulation to the Roof
    The roof is lined and also forms the upstairs ceiling . so I'm wondering what are the best cost effective options (either DIY ro Pro)I'd prefer something which doesn't need to be put behind drywall and skim .if its DIY I'd favour some kind of fireproof Insulating tiles as seemingly the easiest option, but cant seem to find such a thing anywhere.

any wisdom?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭wayoutwest

DuPlex-what is your roof 'lined' with?.Is there insulation [what type and how thick?], and is there a vapour barrier behind your plasterboard and skim?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 250 ✭✭DuPLeX

To be honest I'm not sure what it is. its not plasterboard but its not the bare rafters either .My guess is its chipboard or ply nailed over the rafters. whether there is insulation behind it is anybody's guess.. the house is 70s vintage ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭wayoutwest

I think that you need to find out what you've got ,before deciding on what to add.To increase your present insulation level,you are either going to take down or cover up the present ceiling - so cutting a hole[drill +keyhole saw],so you can inspect the void,should'nt be a problem.

Advertisement