Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Force unbroken iPhone to use 3G and not Edge signal

• 19-05-2012 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭

Have moved to an area where the Edge signal is stronger than the 3G one and my iPhone keeps switching to it. The problem is the Edge network speed is crazy slow (<0.01Mbps) compared to the 3G network (>1 Mbps). Please tell me there's a setting or trick I can use to force the phone to use the 3G network, without having to jailbreak it and edit some files?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,327 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Can't be done, scumbag iphone. Trade it in for a droid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭vinnycoyne

Ignore the troll, folks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

Dont think it can be done on an iPhone another apple limitation,

Both my droid phones and other phones i had always had a 3G only option on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

MrThrifty wrote: »
    Have moved to an area where the Edge signal is stronger than the 3G one and my iPhone keeps switching to it. The problem is the Edge network speed is crazy slow (<0.01Mbps) compared to the 3G network (>1 Mbps). Please tell me there's a setting or trick I can use to force the phone to use the 3G network, without having to jailbreak it and edit some files?

Nope, unfortunately not.
    You can disable 3G but you can't disable EDGE.

What network are you on?

vinnycoyne wrote: »
    Ignore the troll, folks.

I think that phrase went way over you head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭vinnycoyne

I think that phrase went way over you head.

No, I don't think you understand the rules very well.

I've been looking for the same solution for ages now too, it's the most annoying feature of the iPhone....but IMO the only annoying feature :)

A friend sent me the following link...I haven't tried it yet, you would have to be comfortable enough that where you are / go on a daily basis always has 3G signal....I'm still weighing up the options.

http://planet-iphones.com/2011/04/01/iphone-4-3g-lock-disable-edge/

Actually that totally throws it into no service if your out of 3G range for example in some shopping centres....prob best to scrap that idea

The search continues...

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭MrThrifty

I've been looking for the same solution for ages now too, it's the most annoying feature of the iPhone....but IMO the only annoying feature :)

A friend sent me the following link...I haven't tried it yet, you would have to be comfortable enough that where you are / go on a daily basis always has 3G signal....I'm still weighing up the options.

http://planet-iphones.com/2011/04/01/iphone-4-3g-lock-disable-edge/

Came across this alright but was hoping for a simple switch setting somewhere! I'm with Meteor. I used to have an O2 mobile broadband dongle that suffered from the same issue but there was a simple option in the aplication to use 3G over Edge when there was a choice. Wish Apple would be less narrow minded and include advanced settings rather than limiting it to a one size fits all approach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

What's everyone's problem. If there's sufficient signal the phone will use 3G. If you disable edge you won't get signal in low 3G areas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭matchthis

Anytime I need it, I just turn on airplane mode for a few seconds and it pics up 3G when airplane mode is switched off.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

matchthis wrote: »
    Anytime I need it, I just turn on airplane mode for a few seconds and it pics up 3G when airplane mode is switched off.

You shouldn't need to do that. Which network are you with?

vinnycoyne wrote: »
    No, I don't think you understand the rules very well.

I underdtand them all right and your name calling directly at me is bang out of order.
    I don't think you've ever heard of scumbag iphone(steve) before or you would't have given me one of the lamest infractions ever. You jumped the gun with the name calling and infraction, i'd like you to retract both as you didn't get the joke.

Advertisement