Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photo on the company internal intranet

Options
  • 19-05-2012 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I'm a lad working for a large corporation, they have offices worldwide and I'm in the Irish branch.
    I'm in Dublin but they have offices in Cork too. An office drone :)

In work I do be constantly calling other offices over issues and they call me. Nothing strange.

HR want to put a photo of everyone on the company intranat, put a name to a face.

Photos were taken on Thursday but I dodged it, made myself unavailable.
    On Friday morning, HR asked me to come into the office to get my photo done and I just said no, I didn't wish to. I was polite but I refused.
    Got asked again that afternoon and said it wasn't something I want to get involved in

Now HR wants to meet me on Monday over this.

I get on with everyone in office, I'm not anti-social and I do play five a side football with the lads or head for drinks after work and go for lunch with others.

But I'm a private person, I don't want my photo uploaded somewhere for thousands to see.
    I will never ever have a facebook account and I have a linkedin account but I'm not putting my photo up there.
    Lots of posters put their photos on boards.ie, I'm never doing that.

Am I being awkward and unreasonable here?
    It's just something I realy don't want to do.

Could HR call in management and try to push me over it?
    I just feel very uncomfortable having my photo up on a worldwide intranat. They don't need it, I'm good at my job and I work well with anyone

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I dont think you can really get out of this. Its done where I work too, but its a face to face service position. The head of each dept's photo is taken and displayed at the door and online.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I dont think you can really get out of this. Its done where I work too, but its a face to face service position. The head of each dept's photo is taken and displayed at the door and online.

Do you have photo id in work? You also are most likely on cctv every day in work.

I suppose best thing to do is see Ian anything like this in your contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

photoshy wrote: »
    I'm a lad working for a large corporation, they have offices worldwide and I'm in the Irish branch.
    I'm in Dublin but they have offices in Cork too. An office drone :)

In work I do be constantly calling other offices over issues and they call me. Nothing strange.

HR want to put a photo of everyone on the company intranat, put a name to a face.

Photos were taken on Thursday but I dodged it, made myself unavailable.
    On Friday morning, HR asked me to come into the office to get my photo done and I just said no, I didn't wish to. I was polite but I refused.
    Got asked again that afternoon and said it wasn't something I want to get involved in

Now HR wants to meet me on Monday over this.

I get on with everyone in office, I'm not anti-social and I do play five a side football with the lads or head for drinks after work and go for lunch with others.

But I'm a private person, I don't want my photo uploaded somewhere for thousands to see.
    I will never ever have a facebook account and I have a linkedin account but I'm not putting my photo up there.

I just feel very uncomfortable having my photo up on a worldwide intranat. They don't need it, I'm good at my job and I work well with anyone

I really can't see the point in refusing..
    It will be on a work intranet??
    Is there so little going on worldwide that they'll all be browsing the company employee photos looking for a giggle??
    Surely the only people who may have an interest in seeing the photo are those whom you deal with on the phone, so they are dealing with you already and seeing a static photo is no big deal.. Many have to be involved with F:F video conference calls and I've never seen anyone with a bag on their head cos their photo shy..:cool:

Man (or woman) up, have your photo put up and keep your stand against the company for something worth being brought to HR over.. Your just making your self known, in a bad way, over nothing !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Statistician

photoshy wrote: »

Well I believe you are right to make a stand. However, it will not make you any friends in your job.
    Too many people freely give away personal information without even thinking about it (myself included - my gmail account contains a scary amount of information). It is good to see that there are still people out there that value their privacy. It seems that privacy is shot to pieces these days.

Has your company considered data protection issues with this request? Are they able to keep your picture secure? Why do they need it in the first place? They are becoming a data controller with this request and that has certain ramifications that they might not be aware about. I would regard a photograph as being Sensitive personal data. It may be possible to deduce other information from such an image.

http://www.dataprotection.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

Unless you have a better reason than "I don't want to" refusal of a reasoanlble request like this to HR will make you seem like bit strange or uncooperative. These are not traits that get people promoted and HR have long memories.

Frankly to me this is an issue not worth causing waves in the workplace over.

I know of a similar case recently when a manager requested that his team get together to have better ID photos taken and he requested that the staff dress "smart casual" for the photos. Two members of the team made a big deal of being asked to dress nicely and the rest of the team were laughing at them for making fools of themselves by refusing to be photographed. The manager did not care much either way, it had been a staff suggestion that they needed better photos and he just cancelled the professional photographer that he had booked. Those that had objected, just brought themselves in the line for ridicule over nothing.

HR may even think that you have something to hide :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Has your company considered data protection issues with this request? Are they able to keep your picture secure? Why do they need it in the first place? They are becoming a data controller with this request and that has certain ramifications that they might not be aware about

If they've employed him (and thousands of other people) they already are data controllers undoubtedly so that point would be pretty moot.

OP - you're being massively over-sensitive in this case. While I don't think they can make you do it, as said, it's not a something that makes you look like a team player, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭not even wrong

Yes. Of all the personal and sensitive information your employer has about you (CV, salary, job performance, home address, bank details, references, ...) a simple face photo is the very least of your worries.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

So in your job you are interacting with colleagues worldwide by phone.

HR want to make the place seem more human by putting a face to a name - but you don't want to look like a human being?

Really???

How are you going to react when their network gets a bit more sophisticated, and all calls have video-con capability too?

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭micdug

I've been responsible for the process in a number of organisations and to be honest I find the OP's position tiresome as we end up spending an inordinate amount of time with a couple of holdouts over what is a simple request.

In any case, the legal advice I have gotten is that a Company can require you to have a photo for the intranet in order to maintain efficient and effective working enviornment (the principle being that people can recognise you by checking the staff directory) and security. Hence none of the unions I have dealt with have spent any time trying to defend not putting up a picture. That said, nobody has ever been fired for it though I know a US firm that started down the disicplinary route.

Anyway, my advice, get over yourself (unless you are in PWC nobody is rating your photo). It's a simple aid to let people recognise you. Your workplace is not an anonymous space. If you refuse you might get away with it but make yourself supremily unpopular with HR, Mgmt and your colleagues who will consider it slight weird if everyone else has a photo up. Expect some consequence at annual appraisal time - they are well within their rights for knocking you down in under "teamwork".

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭MajorMax

they tried the same thing in my job. The way I got out of it was every time they tried to take my photo (it was a workmate taking the snaps) I held up a sign that said "FCUK OFF" when HR complained to my ops manager, he told them that I was a "Character" and to leave me alone :D

Still not sure what to make of the character remark :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭bridgepeople

Unless you have a better reason than "I don't want to" refusal of a reasoanlble request like this to HR will make you seem like bit strange or uncooperative. These are not traits that get people promoted and HR have long memories.

I agree with this. If you continue to protest about this I think you will be marked out as an oddball in the office which could affect your potential to be promoted in the future.

What is your reason for not wanting your photo on the intranet? I'm sure that is the first question HR and your manager will want to know and I don't feel you've answered it well in your post.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I refused to do it.

There was a situation were people used to try and find the hotest birds in offices outside of Ireland and the sh1t hit the fan. As a result it came optional for women. I opted out on these grounds

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

MarkR wrote: »
    Do you have photo id in work? You also are most likely on cctv every day in work.

I suppose best thing to do is see Ian anything like this in your contract.

Yep, and I'm on cctv every second that I'm in work everywhere except the toilet cubicle.

OP, I dont think you can get away with this one without leaving yourself open to a talking to from HR.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

I don't think the OP is being unreasonable. I wouldn't want a picture of me with my name ad where I work anywhere where I don't know. Even internal internet are not secure. Stand up for your principles OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

wear a burka

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

I refused to do it.

There was a situation were people used to try and find the hotest birds in offices outside of Ireland and the sh1t hit the fan. As a result it came optional for women. I opted out on these grounds

wow. I'm surprised your work place allowed this. Gender descrimination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

It's only gender discrimination if it's the male who gets the break. I am with the OP on this one. He should be entitled to refuse unless it is in the terms of his employment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Whilst I don't understand the OPs reasoning, (s)he absolutely has the right to refuse and can't be forced to do it.

I'm actually surprised that they didn't accept the refusal and are wasting time on a meeting about it to be perfectly honest.

We're all saying it's no big deal to have the photo up, but turn over the coin, it's also no big deal if someone makes it clear they don't want to participate, and that wish should be respected, and for all they know, there could be any number of reasons for it, and they shouldn't force the issue.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

Raise the case around the big accounting firm recently...
    Tell them you feel uncomfortable with the situation and it causes you stress and endangers your mental well being.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

It's only gender discrimination if it's the male who gets the break.

thats not correct. In the post godtabh got a dispensation from having her photo displayed as she was female. All males were required to post a photo.

That is discrimination against males.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

I think you may have missed the facetiousness in the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I guess I would equate refusing to get your photo taken as akin to refusing to give a presentation because of a fear of public speaking or refusing to meet clients because you are shy around people you don't know. You may be allowed to get away with it but it will do nothing for your career progression promotional prospects, bonuses or even pay rises if you are viewed as unco-operative or a team player or your views clash with company ethos. If none of this bothers you, then go ahead and stand your ground but I personally think you are foolish resisting this.

I don't like having to wear a stuffy shirt and tie in hot weather but I have to as it part of the company standard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Opticom

ongarboy wrote: »
    I guess I would equate refusing to get your photo taken as akin to refusing to give a presentation because of a fear of public speaking or refusing to meet clients because you are shy around people you don't know. You may be allowed to get away with it but it will do nothing for your career progression promotional prospects, bonuses or even pay rises if you are viewed as unco-operative or a team player or your views clash with company ethos. If none of this bothers you, then go ahead and stand your ground but I personally think you are foolish resisting this.

I don't like having to wear a stuffy shirt and tie in hot weather but I have to as it part of the company standard.

You got it, working for another man is kinda like being a pleb / hooker, you have to suck it up for your money no matter what it is. He likes that. Now get back to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭The_fever

To your own self be true. Fair play to you OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

ongarboy wrote: »

You knew about the dress code when you made the decision to take the job in question. The OP didn't know that he would be expected to sacrifice his personal privacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

I think the PWC expose showed the downside of having peoples photo's everywhere in a company.

I think there is a good side to pushing back against a company policy or HR occasionally. There is no point to being a doormat over something if you feel strongly about it.

Not many people stay in companies for life these days , and i think its unlikely you would miss out on a promotion because of this.
    In the unlikely event that you did , there are plenty of other companies out there esp in you are in a job when you go looking.

I'd aim be assertive about it though and try not to be defensive or aggressive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

InReality wrote: »
    I think the PWC expose showed the downside of having peoples photo's everywhere in a company.

I think there is a good side to pushing back against a company policy or HR occasionally. There is no point to being a doormat over something if you feel strongly about it.

Not many people stay in companies for life these days , and i think its unlikely you would miss out on a promotion because of this.
    In the unlikely event that you did , there are plenty of other companies out there esp in you are in a job when you go looking.

I'd aim be assertive about it though and try not to be defensive or aggressive.

I think its very likely that this will go against the op and he will be viewed as being uncooperative.

Its not a big deal and the op is fighting the wrong battle.

Jaysoose wrote: »

Its not a big deal

It may not be a big deal for you, but it clearly is a big deal for the OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

It may not be a big deal for you, but it clearly is a big deal for the OP.

Its not an issue for most people, and if the op is happy to draw negative attention to himself in this situation then obviously thats entirely up to him but as i said there are some battles worth fighting and this certainly wouldnt be one of them.

• Advertisement

Jaysoose wrote: »
    there are some battles worth fighting and this certainly wouldnt be one of them.

Or to be more specific, it wouldn't be a battle worth fighting for you. But it clearly is a battle worth fighting for the OP. You're quite right to point out the risks of going to battle, but it is the OPs decision.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement