Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unlock Vodafone Mobile Wifi (Huawei R201)

Options
  • 19-05-2012 6:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Anyone any ideas on how to use another SIM card with this device?

Apparently it's not SIM locked in the traditional way with a unlock code to make it sim free. The SIM lock is part of the firmware. Vodafone says that generic firmware would do the job but I haven't been able to locate any online.

Any one able to help?

Cheers in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Hi guys,

Apparently it's not SIM locked in the traditional way with a unlock code to make it sim free. The SIM lock is part of the firmware. Vodafone says that generic firmware would do the job but I haven't been able to locate any online.

Any one able to help?

Cheers in advance!

You have to put in new internet settings into the device with the new settings

If you go to http://192.168.1.1/ you should be able to find that somewhere. Google around. Its like a phone when you switch the network you need up switch the new network settings too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

You have to put in new internet settings into the device with the new settings

If you go to http://192.168.1.1/ you should be able to find that somewhere. Google around. Its like a phone when you switch the network you need up switch the new network settings too.

192.168.0.1 brought up the router screen. logged in as administrator and turned off the requirement for the SIM PIN and put in the meteor details. worked at treat. Cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Skippie

Hmmm, it appears vodafone has lied to me, they said this wasn't possible.

Can you please give me a more detailed explanation like a step-by-step of how you did this?

For example in order to disable the SIM PIN a password is required isn't it?? Where will i find my password as i haven't changed it. I'm guessing it's 0000?

What other details do i need to change?

I'd very much appreciate some help

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

Hi Skippie,

I'm away from home (and the modem) at the moment. As far as I can recall the details for logging in as administrator are in the booklet that came with the modem. Otherwise a google search might throw something up. If you are still having problems drop another post late next week (i'll be back home) and i'll work out the exact steps. :cool:

Hi Skippie,

I'm away from home (and the modem) at the moment. As far as I can recall the details for logging in as administrator are in the booklet that came with the modem. Otherwise a google search might throw something up. If you are still having problems drop another post late next week (i'll be back home) and i'll work out the exact steps. :cool:

I able to log in as administrator, and i know my SIM PIN. But after that i don't know what i'm supposed to do.

Thanks for the reply :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Oceans12

Hi guys,

Any one able to help?

Cheers in advance!

these units are not locked. i just tried an o2 sim in mine, and it worked fine and registered on the network ok, you just have to configure the correct apn information and you are good to go..

Oceans12 wrote: »
    these units are not locked. i just tried an o2 sim in mine, and it worked fine and registered on the network ok, you just have to configure the correct apn information and you are good to go..

What do you mean by configure the apn information?

I brought mine into meteor and they said it couldn't be done, they messed around with it for ages trying to get it to accept the meteor sim :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Oceans12

Skippie wrote: »
    What do you mean by configure the apn information?

I brought mine into meteor and they said it couldn't be done, they messed around with it for ages trying to get it to accept the meteor sim :confused:
    put in the meteor sim, with the pin code disabled, to disable the pin code on the sim, put the sim in a basic nokia phone, and disable the pin that way..

then put the meteor sim in the R201, and power it up, you should see signal bars, and the METEOR network name on the screen,

have you tried this?

once you know it works on the network by seeing it register on meteor network , configuring the apn is easy part

Oceans12 wrote: »
    put in the meteor sim, with the pin code disabled, to disable the pin code on the sim, put the sim in a basic nokia phone, and disable the pin that way..

then put the meteor sim in the R201, and power it up, you should see signal bars, and the METEOR network name on the screen,

have you tried this?

once you know it works on the network by seeing it register on meteor network , configuring the apn is easy part

I didn't buy the meteor sim when they told me it couldn't be done, but i'll get one tomorrow and give it a go

Thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25 bgraham1

Any joy on this ? I'm hoping to put a Vodafone Portugal sim in mine when on holidays..
    Any idea if this could be done ?

• Advertisement

Yes i was able to get the meteor sim working.

As above, i just had to enter the correct APN settings for meteor.

But unfortunately the coverage was terrible so i'm still using a vodafone sim :mad:

You might be able to select vodafone portugal setting from the drop down list in "settings".

Thanks for all the help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Stretch4eva

Does this method work on any Vodafone R201 modem? Mine doesnt seem to work. I get SIM invalid when i put in a different sim card.. Any help will be much appreciated.. thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭rollotomasi

Bump
    I'm in the same boat. I have this device Huawei R201 - anybody have any experience with popping in a Tesco mobile sim and will it work?

I contacted Vodafone and they said that they cannot (will not) unlock this.

Advertisement