Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

reseeding ground with rock in it?

• 19-05-2012 9:20pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭

i have one field which is only about half an acre which is on its own as its divided by a stream and the bounds ditch. there is a rock in the middle and the soil gradually gets deeper going out from the rock. it is slow growing grass and was wondering what can i do with it. i cant plough it or power harrow it as it might brake my plough or power harrow. dont have a chain harrow either. i have a spring harrow though and was wondering if i gave it a few rubs of this and spread the seed along with 10.10.20 and a bag of gran lime and roll how would it work out. wasnt going to bother burning off first for fear that the seed wouldnt come in places and it would stay burnt off. only really want to reseed this field as i can see it from the house and it annoys me to see poor growth there compared to the fields next to it which are even out. sont want to be getting in a contractor either.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

Ah you poor creatur, personally I think it a waste of time reseeding without spraying. You could spray off graze bare, use spring harrow if possible, then spread grass seed and as it is only 1/2 an acre and then put 2000 gallons of slurry on it however it is getting a bit late to do it now as if it is very dry the grass might die when it comes up. I wait until early august to spray off. you be planting around the late Aug. No harm if you could geta couple of kgs of slug pellets as well. You could spread granlime on it any time during July. There would be no need of 10.10.20 either. And you might be luky you might be able to source a chain harrow to borrow in the maebtime.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

i also have one of those zig zag harrows that you pull after that tractor but would that serve any good either before broadcasting seed or afterwards. no one i know around here has a chain harrow. i dont take the slurry tanker across to this field either as its too awkaard to turn as the field is narrow but long so i sread bag p+k in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

I am with FP on this one.... spray it off.
    your approach sounds just fine otherwise.
    get is scratched up with whatever implement you have at you disposal with as many runs as needed.
    dont forget to follow up spray, weeds post emergance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

We plan to rejuvenate a few "difficult" fields later in the year.
    Called a number from DD and I can get a new 6ft drag harrow for €450. This should allow us to overseed ourselves so should be a good investment.

Does €450 sound ok for a 6ft drag harrow?

Advertisement