Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Point ID Wiring Query

Options
  • 19-05-2012 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi Folks,

Just checking a couple of points on the wiring of Point ID devices and linked contacts:

1. When you're using Point ID devices, do you need to wire a tamper circuit or does the data wire carry tamper signals as well as alarm signals?

2. If I wire additional contacts into a Point ID sensor, do the sensor's electronics pick up tampers on the contact circuits or do I need to wire those tampers separately?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

DartryK wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

Just checking a couple of points on the wiring of Point ID devices and linked contacts:

1. When you're using Point ID devices, do you need to wire a tamper circuit or does the data wire carry tamper signals as well as alarm signals?

2. If I wire additional contacts into a Point ID sensor, do the sensor's electronics pick up tampers on the contact circuits or do I need to wire those tampers separately?

Thanks in advance.

Point id sensors just need a 12v supply and the a data core.
    If you wire additional sensors from the sensor alarm and tamper input on the id sensor then the sensor will do the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 DartryK

Thanks Altor, much appreciated. I thought that was probably the case but no harm in checking.

Rgds

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

DartryK wrote: »
    Thanks Altor, much appreciated. I thought that was probably the case but no harm in checking.

Rgds

Your welcome, no hard in checking first :D

My electrician didn't follow my wiring instructions properly and I now have a problem with the wiring for tying in additional contacts to my ID sensors. In summary, I have a 6 core cable of which 3 cores will be used for the ID sensor power and data, leaving me with only 3 cores available to wire both contact inputs and tampers (inputs 1+6 and 3+4 on the ID sensor).

Can I double up on the return lines for contact and tamper, ie can I use 1 core for output to contact, 1 for tamper output and the remaining core as a common return for both circuits? I know ideally there should be two wires for each but this seems a logical alternative assuming that both contact and tamper circuits are NC and operate on similar voltage and standby current.

If I can get away with this configuration, then which terminals on the sensor do I need to loop together so that the sensor can tell whether the contact or tamper circuit has been broken (options would be 1 and 3, 1 and 4, 6 and 3 or 6 and 4)?

Thanks again in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

You only need three cores back to the panel. Power and data. The alarm and tamper inputs are for wiring additional detectors into that.

• Advertisement

Thanks Fred Funk, but that's not quite answered my question. I know that I only need 3 wires for the ID sensor. I am talking about wiring in additional contacts as you mention. The problem is that my electrician has run the cables in such a way that I only have 3 spare cores available to wire the additional contact and tamper circuits instead of the usual 4 cores.

What I am trying to find out is if I can use one of the three spare cores as a common return for the contact and tamper circuits and if so, how should I wire it back to the ID sensor.

Thanks.

Has he wired them all in single cables? Don't think the alarm and tamper inputs share a common negative. Can you not use an expander if they are wired singularly.

Hi Fred Funk,

I asked the electrician to loop from one ID sensor point to the next and leave tails for each of the additional contacts. So I should have had 6 cores available for each contact to tie back to the relevant sensor.

What he actually did was to run a single cable from the sensor point through each of the contact locations before continuing to the next sensor point, so I am forced to use 3 of the cores for the ID sensor power and data all the way through. This leaves me with only 3 cores everywhere to wire the contacts back to the sensors.

As you say, normally the contact and tamper inputs to the sensor would be separate (terminals 1 and 6 for contact, 3 and 4 for tamper), but I'm just wondering if you could link them so the two circuits have a common return. If the two circuits operate in a similar way then it should work (just the same way that you would link up neutrals in a mains circuit), but I'm only guessing here...

Why can't you put the ID sensor on at the first point on the cable run? then you'd have a six core back to the sensor.

Most other systems use a common negitive on one side of the zone input but I don't think HKC works that way.

Advertisement