Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

standalone pir

Options
  • 19-05-2012 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

I see a large retailer selling standalone pir for 27 euro.

seems mad money for a simple thing like that

I see them on net in uk for 9 euro. Its just to wire into a

porch light at front door to come on as we pass as I enter house

I use side door and this light would be handy to come on for minute or two

anyone recommend a particular one?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

You get what you pay for. IMO, the Bosch Watchdogs are the best but they're about €50. Might be too expensive for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭minder2009

Quite true Fred. Thks. I have 2 very reliable lights with pirs both 24 euro each no problems with them. It just seems redo rediculous that for separate pir it's twice the price of one light. Cheers

minder2009 wrote: »
    Quite true Fred. Thks. I have 2 very reliable lights with pirs both 24 euro each no problems with them. It just seems redo rediculous that for separate pir it's twice the price of one light. Cheers

A lot of it is down to the quality of the components and how it operates in less than ideal environments. The Bosch have a number of different settings too. I only use the Bosch and have had little or no problems with them over the years and even ones that are installed over ten years are still operating perfectly. For the sake of an extra €20 - €30 they're well worth it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Except for that one famous batch.....;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Robus outdoor PIR,12 euro.Used for switching on 2 outdoor LED Porch lights.

Grand bit of kit indeed.

• Advertisement

Hi paddy
    Yeah that's what I am looking for ... Where did you get it? It's just for a porch light. I wonder if you wired it yourself ... Does the live just go thru it ? Like a switch or do you have to run live neutral and earth thru the pir? Thks
    Minder

minder2009 wrote: »
    Hi paddy
    Yeah that's what I am looking for ... Where did you get it? It's just for a porch light. I wonder if you wired it yourself ... Does the live just go thru it ? Like a switch or do you have to run live neutral and earth thru the pir? Thks
    Minder

I got it in a local electrical wholesalers.

I dont know what way its wired,as a sparks wired it for me.It switches on 2 porch lights from a 6 meter distance.

He was wanting to charge me 25 euro for the same Robus PIR,so I picked it up myself for a mere 12 euro.:)

Regards,

Sound paddy Thks. I should be able to wire it myself. It's only to have light cone on in porch at front door as I pass by to back door ! Don't use front door. I live in Meath can travel to city. If you bought near me would you mind pm me what shop.i asked at one wholesaler and was more expensive than where I saw it in one of the major retailers ... Thank you
    Minder

Picture of Robus PIR.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Generally those sensors have 3 connections. Live neutral and switched live.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 rjr2

fred funk, could you tell me where to buy these bosch watchdog pirs. I've had issues with two different pirs i've installed, thanks

Most electrical wholesalers stock them. Ring first as they often need to order them in. There's two types, the 90 degree and the 220 degree. Not much difference in price.

got pir from electrical supplies naas ...19 euro

works grands rebus;)

Advertisement