Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I ask for a week's rent back?

Options
  • 19-05-2012 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

I'm paid up until the 5th of June in the house I'm currently renting and am moving out. The person the landlord has gotten to replace me wants to move in next weekend and I agreed to this seeing as how there's no point the room just being empty when I'm not going to be there. Presumably the new housemate will start paying as of next Saturday so am I entitled to ask for a week's rent back from him? I don't think it'd be particularly fair for him to either be getting two lots of rent for the week or for me to be paying for this other person for the week. I could use the money too!

Any help appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

You can ask the landlord, not the incoming tenant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭barleybooley

Oh, yeah! I meant the landlord! But do you think I should? I suppose there's no harm in doing so...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

I would if it was me; you can be sure that if you were a week late moving out then they would be looking for an extra weeks rent money! No harm in asking at least; whether or not you are entitled to it is another question.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

...But do you think I should?

Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

A week's rent could be 200 euro easily. Of course ask for it - its a lot of money. If as a result they don't want to move in early then thats their choice but do not give a week's free rent to someone unless you are rich and money is of no concern.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Elvis_Presley

Ask for it - and if he won't give it, don't move your stuff out for another week. It's your room as long as the rent is paid for it.

Advertisement