Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The origin of procrastination and guilt ?

• 19-05-2012 11:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭

If you have 10 positive interactions with other people in one day and one negative experience , why does the later fill and occupy your mind with posionous thoughts when it clearly shouldn't

Why does this happen ? No other species of animal reacts in this negative way

Are school teachers to blame for this sense of guilt? Would getting frowned upon at a young age for getting a question wrong in front of a group of people be the origin?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

The Catholic Church obviously.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 265 ✭✭unclejunior

sounds like it may be just you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

After Hours was good tonight until this thread came along :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Jernal wrote: »

Do non Catholics not suffer from guilt?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Pherekydes wrote: »

Protestant Work Ethic. Protestants worry if they don't work enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

I'll think of a good reply tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Experience guilt? Yes. Suffer from it? No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

It's a good question OP. Where does procrastination come into it though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

That'd be the perfection, not the origin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Guilt is a normal response, it is incredibly useful in so far as it points to the conscience, and it convicts us of when we've done wrong rather than good. It's a wholly irrational thing to condemn guilt and to say that it should never exist. Guilt is a good sign that you have a decent moral compass irrespective of belief.

What does this even mean?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

This soppy thread is my one negative experience for today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭.same.

this experience is suffering, is it not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Is guilt a bad thing? If it is, then everyone who experiences it suffers from it. If it isn't why blame it on the catholic church?

How can you categorically state that non catholics don't suffer from it? Surely it's a subjective thing down to the individual?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

sxt wrote: »
    Are school teachers to blame for this sense of guilt? Would getting frowned upon at a young age for getting a question wrong in front of a group of people be the origin?
    How would getting something wrong make you feel guilty? Ashamed or embarrassed maybe but definitely not guilty.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Jimmyhologram

sxt wrote: »
    If you have 10 positive interactions with other people in one day and one negative experience , why does the later fill and occupy your mind with posionous thoughts when it clearly shouldn't

Maybe it's natural to mull over the negatives, to consider how things might have gone better, and whether anything can be learned from a bad experience. Doesn't necessarily have to entail poisonous thoughts, although in dispensing that advice I should also admit that I don't always follow it ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Is guilt a bad thing? If it is, then everyone who experiences it suffers from it. If it isn't why blame it on the catholic church?

How can you categorically state that non catholics don't suffer from it? Surely it's a subjective thing down to the individual?

Any human being that has ever walked the earth, I'm fairly sure has been convicted by guilt in their lives.

Personally, I think it is a good thing if people do things that are clearly convicted that they are truly convicted in their heart that it is wrong, and strive to put it right.

What's disturbing isn't so much the fact that we feel guilt, that's normal and that's healthy, what is more disturbing is when people do what is clearly wrong and feel absolutely nothing at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Although I find it uncharacteristic and am a bit confused by it, I think his post may have been tongue-in-cheek mocking of the usual "Blame it on the RCC" response that you'd expect on threads like these.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

wut :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

Might be because its past midnight but I cannot see where the procrastination and guilt part comes in OP. Or are you talking about anger or am I just lost?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Battered Mars Bar

Procrastination + negative experience = guilt?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

It has come to my attention a high number of youths spent a lot of time procrastinating over the word procrastination. sure I did it meself; just wasn't as vocal about it... was no internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭marty1985

Guilt is a good thing in many ways and serves a function and served an evolutionary purpose I guess.

Catholics do seem to have a lot of the market share of guilt, mainly because Protestants sold their shares when they moved away from the confessional aspect with the reformation, and a lot of Asian cultures focus on shame rather than guilt, leaving Catholics with a big chunk of the guilt pie, even though it's not a hot commodity with the public these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Ruralyoke

OP come back - what's the big procrastination fixation and where does it fit in?

Hang on - "you have ten positive etc etc " I heard some self improvement/life guru on about this on Matt Cooper a few weeks ago.

C'mon - is it you?

Advertisement