Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dider Drogba

• 20-05-2012 12:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭

One of the real oldschool Chelsea signings, alot of countless players have joined since hes been there, Shevchenko, Anelka, Mutu, Kezman, Crespo ( thanks Oranage2 ) you could probably end up adding another 3 or 4 players to that list, plus he pushed out Hasseilbaink and Gudjohnson. He got what he deserved tonight, Chelsea had only 1 corner and he scored from it, and the penalty he took he barely even took a walk up to it.

What a player, and even though I'm not a Chelsea fan, this guy can really go down as one of the best, he has made mistakes like getting sent off in previous finals, but who can doubt the character of the man. I never thought for one second he would miss the penalty, and at the same time I couldn't believe the sheer force of that header.

An absolute legend.

He donates all of his sponsorship money to Charity aswell building hospitals. He just has this x-factor about him, something thats been lacking from the premierleague since Ronaldo left.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

I don't think he deserves his own thread though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

djPSB wrote: »

He deserves his own forum imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Crespo as well, beast of man.

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Crespo as well, beast of man.

yeah forgot about that one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Tigerbaby

I totally agree. He has single-handedly helped Ivory Coast out of a potential civil war. He is a class act. Chelsea should retire the #11 jersey now when he finally stops playing. His charity work is astonishing.

a true blue LEGEND!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

6 foot somfin pussy who dives at the slightest contact, disgusting player.

one of those disgraces to football type players.

But fair play was rewarded for it all tonight.

man for the big occasion.

Some header tonight, bullet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

nuxxx wrote: »

He donates all of his sponsorship money to Charity aswell building hospitals. He just has this x-factor about him, something thats been lacking from the premierleague since Ronaldo left.

Certain players seem to get a lot of praise on here for things like this. They pretty much all do it though, it'd probably be hard to find a player that doesnt do charity work, most just do it quietly.

Certain players seem to get a lot of praise on here for things like this. They pretty much all do it though, it'd probably be hard to find a player that doesnt do charity work, most just do it quietly.

Fair enough, but hes from Africa and any thing outside of Chelsea wages he gets goes to building Hospitals. If you could name some other players who donate there entire sponsorship deals to charity I`ll gladly change my view on it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

This get's overlooked all too often in favour of his antics on the pitch. He's such a legend. I'll admit I wanted rid of him after the last CL Final but fook me has he redeemed himself and then some in the past few seasons. I can't imagine us winning any of the trophies we have since then without his contribution.

Legend. Tonight will be a fitting end if he does leave too.

Essien wrote: »
    This get's overlooked all too often in favour of his antics on the pitch. He's such a legend. I'll admit I wanted rid of him after the last CL Final but fook me has he redeemed himself and then some in the past few seasons. I can't imaging us winning any of the trophies we have since then without his contribution.

Legend. Tonight will be a fitting end if he does leave too.

It was just perfect :) I love how he ran to Cech too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

As an Arsenal fan I put him in the same bracket as Henry. He brought a new style of striker to the league and does what the best do - Deliver on the biggest stages in football standing up for his club with pride and passion.

Definitely one of the players I will think back to the 00's as one of the best in the world.

Also he is a true Gent with his off field activities. Much man love for the big man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

djPSB wrote: »

Ha ha....do you really think Drogba gives a f**k?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I'd love if he stopped all that diving but when he plays like he did tonight it doesn't matter. That header was outstanding. It reminded me of Ronaldo's against Roma a few years ago. It was almost unstoppable with the power he created.

Fair play to him as well with all the charity work he has done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

I've been a big fan of him for years. All the way back to Fifa 09 in fact. :pac:

Fair enough, but hes from Africa and any thing outside of Chelsea wages he gets goes to building Hospitals. If you could name some other players who donate there entire sponsorship deals to charity I`ll gladly change my view on it

Not building hospitals but Craig Bellamys foundation runs a charity soccer school type thing in africa to help kids and he's not from Africa so doesnt have any connection or need to help unfortunate people "back home". Thats off the top of my head. I dont know what else without checking.

At the end of the day, theres no obligation on footballers to spend any of their money on charities but Id say most do. Again, the majority is probably in the backround.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

And who can forget that goal vs Everton?

Not building hospitals but Craig Bellamys foundation runs a charity soccer school type thing in africa to help kids and he's not from Africa so doesnt have any connection or need to help unfortunate people "back home". Thats off the top of my head. I dont know what else without checking.

At the end of the day, theres no obligation on footballers to spend any of their money on charities but Id say most do. Again, the majority is probably in the backround.

Fair enough man, I'm just glad certain players do it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Thought he would never come good when he first joined. What a player though despite his antics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

was only having a laugh nutxxx.

Look, well done Drogba, he has an unsavoury side of course, diving, rolling about, etc, but at the same time, he's a great forward, and scored some crucial goals for Chelsea in the CL this year and he's a real leader.

Well done Chelsea and Drogba.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

dorgasm wrote: »
    Thought he would never come good when he first joined. What a player though despite his antics.

I'd seen him play for Marseille and knew he was going to be a success. His diving antics are incredibly annoying but his strengths far outweigh that annoyance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

He's done well to change his image of one of the most hated players in the prem to one of the most admired. I mean his footballing ability was never really in doubt but the good side of his character and dedication has really shone in recent years and he'll be sorely missed if he leaves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Tigerbaby wrote: »
    I totally agree. He has single-handedly helped Ivory Coast out of a potential civil war. He is a class act. Chelsea should retire the #11 jersey now when he finally stops playing. His charity work is astonishing.

a true blue LEGEND!
    That makes no sense! :D

I always had an argument with people over Chelsea games, bets etc, and I always ended it with "Depends if Drogba is in beast mode"

How sick is that :) How many players can you describe to be in "beast mode" its the ultimate compliment!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

And who can forget that goal vs Everton?

I think his goal against Liverpool in Anfield was better, the one where he chested it back to goal, and swiveled in one movement. Reina rooted to the spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Unplayable at times and an absolute beast of a man. To think back to when he first joined and looked like an absolute donkey...

Won money tonight on him scoring any time, a great big game player.

greendom wrote: »
    I'd seen him play for Marseille and knew he was going to be a success. His diving antics are incredibly annoying but his strengths far outweigh that annoyance.

He was actually close to signing for Southampton too!

• Advertisement

Scored in the FA Cup final as well lest we forget and the CL game against Barca at SB when Chelsea had one attack I think the whole game.

He's a bit of a legend to be fair.

Probably Mourinho's best signing, at any club.

Samich wrote: »
    He was actually close to signing for Southampton too!

Was that while he was at Guingcamp ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

I always had an argument with people over Chelsea games, bets etc, and I always ended it with "Depends if Drogba is in beast mode"

How sick is that :) How many players can you describe to be in "beast mode" its the ultimate compliment!

Arturo Vidal very much has a beast mode. Think you need to be big, strong but still very mobile to have such an honour bestowed on you.

Was that while he was at Guingcamp ?

When he was at Marseille wasn't it?. I remember it well. Drogba was banging goals in for fun in the uefa cup, or was it champs league for Marseille as far as I remember and Southampton were close to signing him. Not sure if it's because Southampton went down or if Chelsea came in for him then though.

Edit: Seems I was wrong :P It was while he was at Guingamp alright :P

Here's the link.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11700_2278049,00.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Great player, but he ruins games when all you want to do as a fan is enjoy a match! He was embarrassing to look at against Barca in London!!

Samich wrote: »
    Yeah. I remember it well. Drogba was banging goals in for fun in the uefa cup for Marseille as far as I remember and Southampton were close to signing him. Not sure if it's because Southampton went down or if Chelsea came in for him then though.

Chelsea signed him for £24 million. Out of Southampton's league by then I would have thought ?

• Advertisement

Was that his 100th goal for Chelsea?

Wikipedia entry says it was.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Didier_Drogba

Chelsea signed him for £24 million. Out of Southampton's league by then I would have thought ?

Yeah it was the move before that :P Sorry :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

They all give ALL of their sponsership money to charity?

**** off, a lot of them give a tiny percentage to charities, and mostly as a tax write off, Drogba is on another ****ing level, the man gave his €3,000,000 upfront payment from Pepsi to build and staff a hospital in his home town.

The man is a hero.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 62 ✭✭dooloo

plasmaguy wrote: »
    Was that his 100th goal for Chelsea?

Wikipedia entry says it was.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Didier_Drogba

nope that's league goals

dooloo wrote: »
    nope that's league goals

ah right, fair enough, didn't spot that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

People should also remember he almost single handily unified his country, which had been plagued by division and civil war.

Whatever you might make about his antics from time to time, he is one of the good guys.

He throughly deserves his medal, good luck to him.

He also showed grace and compassion in comforting an obviously suffering Schweinsteiger. Top man.

Harrys dog was bankrolling the deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

Drogba = legend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Barr wrote: »
    Drogba = legend

one mans legend is another mans scumbag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

Unfortunate for the losers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

Total Legend.

Feed the Drog and apparently he will score. :)

Big Player for big games. Proper Striker in the mould of Shearer, Henry, Wright etc. Hope he stays at Chelski nxt season.

Drogba => the difference in lifting Champions League trophy on the night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I wanted to get a bedspread with him on it but my wife said "grow up, you stupid c+nt. You're a grown man".

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭klose

Could have so easily been the villain last night had robben scored the penelty but thats football :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

dreamers75 wrote: »
    one mans legend is another mans scumbag.

He's done more good in his life than you or I will ever be capable of

His diving pisses me off but he's great entertainment all the same

If you think that merits calling him a "scumbag" god only knows what you make of actually scumbags

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Yeah his on field antics can be annoying, but you can never question his ability. He semed to always score against Arsenal and I hated the sight of him. He just constantly delivers in the big games, you can always depend on him.

An absolute beast of a player, one of the greatest strikers I've ever seen and despite his prolific nature against my team one of my favourite players to watch. I really hope Chelsea offer him a new contract because the league is poorer without him. Or they could release him and he can come to Arsenal...:pac:

A legend.

• Advertisement
Advertisement