Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dider Drogba

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭smallerthanyou

Drogba is immense. He scores when it matters and is one of the best headers of the ball. When I was chatting about this game on Saturday the whole conversation was about Drogs and what he could do and if he played well we had a chance.

But as above football is a funny funny game. If Robben had converted this would be a very different thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,593 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Drogba is an absolute legend. The one Chelsea player in that 11 last night who I was happy to see get the medal. The sort of player anyone would love at their club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Moneymaker wrote: »
    People should also remember he almost single handily unified his country, which had been plagued by division and civil war.

Any details on this?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 994 ✭✭✭carbon nanotube

Any details on this?

so he will become president ya?

in fairness he has earned probably 15million or more during his time at chelsea..

sure if i had that cash i would give some to africa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

so he will become president ya?

in fairness he has earned probably 15million or more during his time at chelsea..

sure if i had that cash i would give some to africa.

Christ like you really are damned if you do and damned if you don't with some people

The man paid 3 million to build a hospital ffs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

id have him in liverpools team anyday!!.....he does annoy the hell out of me with his theatrics but on his day no defender can live with his strength and pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

To say he 'almost single-handedly unified his country' seems just a tad of an exaggeration..

elefant wrote: »
    To say he 'almost single-handedly unified his country' seems just a tad of an exaggeration..

Nah. Think he's in the process of curing aids too. He's just that damn good!

Didier Drogba, Na Na Na! Didier Drogba Na Na Na!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Looks like he's kicked his last ball for Chelsea and is China bound. Nice last touch to have all the same!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

No matter what happens Drogba has been immense for us, the man is a legend and some of his performances have dragged us through games throughout the years.

He can be frustrating and unplayable in the same game. When the chips are down though he reguarly produces and thats the mark of a true top drawer striker. Weve been lucky to have his services and ill be sad when he goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

After Henry and Shearer, he's gotta be the best striker ever to grace the Premier League.

Class player.

IvySlayer wrote: »
    After Henry and Shearer, he's gotta be the best striker ever to grace the Premier League.

Class player.

Hes definetly right up there. He has it all Didier. People will judge him on some of his bad antics and im sure their is a lot of hatred towards him but it still doesnt take away from the fact that theres not many out there in the modern game that can compete with Drogba.

I have nothing but genuine admiration for him and hes one of the reasons im delighted we won a UCL.

His equaliser was pure Drogba, moment of magic from nowhere and he was calm and lethal with the penalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Chelsea drawing 2-2 with Everton, up steps Drogba

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

nuxxx wrote: »
    He deserves his own forum imo

That's not saying much, seeing the amount of forums boards.ie has

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

yeah in fairness. when you look at it like that he probably DOES deserve his own forum. I just saw a forum for cancelled TV shows, Wanderly Wagon has it's own sub-forum and it finished in phucking '82. 72 posts in 6 years and it has 5 mods, poor fellas are swamped

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

HazDanz wrote: »
    As an Arsenal fan I put him in the same bracket as Henry. He brought a new style of striker to the league and does what the best do - Deliver on the biggest stages in football standing up for his club with pride and passion.

Definitely one of the players I will think back to the 00's as one of the best in the world.

Also he is a true Gent with his off field activities. Much man love for the big man.

Deliver on the biggest stages? Henry has scored some important goals in big matches but has routinely gone missing in finals. Compare his record to Drogba's and you'll see Drogba is a cut above in that respect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

I think David Hasselhoff had his own forum here once. Drogba deserves that much at least (and probably a talking car too).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

Love watching Drogba.

His flailing antics would have you thinking that a sniper was in the stadium.
    Pure theatre. Just smile and laugh at it.

The football is breathtaking. Explosive. Unmarkable.

His charitable humility is admirable.

Will be sorry to see him leave.
    Goes with Osgood into my list of Blues legends.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    Deliver on the biggest stages? Henry has scored some important goals in big matches but has routinely gone missing in finals. Compare his record to Drogba's and you'll see Drogba is a cut above in that respect.

Zambia says hi!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

He's been a twat on the pitch far too many times on the pitch for me to really warm to him. I'm happy for the people he's helped in Africa (more power to him) but he's still a bad sportsman in the only sphere that matters fro me: on the ptich. I'm not going to be bulldozed into liking him because he built a hospital even though I'm glad he did.

I'm a football supporter not a Bio channel addict.

As a player, he's an animal. Fantastic, often unstoppable player. One of the best to play in England in recent times and does the business at the highest level. Will be a pity to see his talent leave England.

stovelid wrote: »
    He's been a twat on the pitch far too many times on the pitch for me to really warm to him. I'm happy for the people he's helped in Africa (more power to him) but he's still a bad sportsman in the only sphere that matters fro me: on the ptich. I'm not going to be bulldozed into liking him because he built a hospital even though I'm glad he did.

I'm a football supporter not a Bio channel addict.

As a player, he's an animal. Fantastic, often unstoppable player. One of the best to play in England in recent times and does the business at the highest level. Will be a pity to see his talent leave England.

Agree with ya stovelid, his antics can even be frustrating for us Chelsea fans but whne hes on song and playing to his full potential there is very few that can compete with him.

We were blessed when we got him, his first few months he had question marks over his price tag but hes gone on to justify it and has given back to the Chelsea fans far more then we could have even hoped for all those years ago.

Winning goals in cup finals coupled with top scoring seasons and some memorable goals will mean he'll live long in our memories if he never plays again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

how quickly people forget

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/8037118.stm

talk about teaching young kids to not respect authority and win by cheating then Drogba is up in top place as a footballer

he's is the poster boy of everything that is wrong with football today imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Should be drogboards.ie then :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

I always remember the goals he scored against liverpool in the Uefa Cup for Marseille and thinking he was going to be unreal, and he really has been.

Think my favourite moment of his was this little gem after getting the hattrick against wigan (to be top goal scorer IIRC?)

imager.php?id=1156137&t=o

I was in stitches :pac:

Auvers wrote: »

The man on the moon could tell that night the referee messed up several calls.

talk about teaching young kids to not respect authority and win by cheating then Drogba is up in top place as a footballer

he's is the poster boy of everything that is wrong with football today imo

SOME footballers are brillant role models, most arent. Kids want to be footballers, they dont necessarily want to grow upto be exactly like one.

Very few footballers have a clean slate, with no incidents or ugly type involvements with fans or opposing players, its big business when Rooney/Suarez/Drogba/Ronaldo etc etc all mess up as their household names and tabloids can and will print everything and blow stuff up and make mountians out of mole hills.

You show me a footballer that has played within every law of the game for his entire career, it doesnt happen unfortunatly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

gavredking wrote: »

SOME footballers are brillant role models, most arent. Kids want to be footballers, they dont necessarily want to grow upto be exactly like one.

Very few footballers have a clean slate, with no incidents or ugly type involvements with fans or opposing players, its big business when Rooney/Suarez/Drogba/Ronaldo etc etc all mess up as their household names and tabloids can and will print everything and blow stuff up and make mountians out of mole hills.

You show me a footballer that has played within every law of the game for his entire career, it doesnt happen unfortunatly.

Gary Lineker was never booked or sent off in his ENTIRE career. Contrary to popular belief he did put in some tackles!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,676 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

what difference does that make :confused: Drogba that night was indefensible

Gary Linker is the closet you can get I suppose

Drogba and his ilk playing football are just sending out the message to kids that's its okay to blatantly cheat and disrespect authority, cause there is no repercussions for their actions, in fact you will be rewarded for it

• Advertisement

Gary Lineker was never booked or sent off in his ENTIRE career. Contrary to popular belief he did put in some tackles!!

You'd get away with murder back in the day. ;)

Football is so much more now then it was 20-25 years ago.

Its more of a brand now and a business and when a player does anything out of roder it'll be published.

Wethter its going down easy or cheating on his missus its all going to be splashed across various media, thats the nature of the world we live in now.

Drogba is no saint, but he isnt the anti-christ either :pac:

Auvers wrote: »
    what difference does that make :confused: Drogba that night was indefensible

Agreed, it was only after about half an hour of freaking out did I see Drogba's reaction and you just knew a lenghty ban was coming, I wouldnt defend his actions that night, he shouldnt have blown a fuse, he was stupid and was hit with a 4 game ban I think.

Gary Linker is the closet you can get I suppose

Drogba and his ilk playing football are just sending out the message to kids that's its okay to blatantly cheat and disrespect authority, cause there is no repercussions for their actions, in fact you will be rewarded for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

Drogba has been so important for Chelsea through the years. He will go down in history as a Chelsea Legend and deservedly so.

He should be kept in storage for Chelsea and brought out for the big games :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Its goodnight from him! Drogba confirms he is leaving Chelsea on a high

So long you legend and good luck

Until I hear confirmation I'm going to hold out hope of another year. I'd love to have another year of Drogs but don't think we should pay for two to get one.

Absolute legend. If everyone's talking about you and you divide opinion then you must be doing something right! (unless you're joey barton!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

He will leave big boots to fill if does go. Can't see Torres making an impact like Drogba.

Hope his convinced to stay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Howard Nurse of the bbc says the quotes from France Football aren't genuine .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

dreamers75 wrote: »
    6 foot somfin pussy who dives at the slightest contact, disgusting player.

one of those disgraces to football type players.

But fair play was rewarded for it all tonight.

6947650724_0f487a2f72_o.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Spurs and Liverpool at Wembley to win a trophy; Barcelona and Bayern Munich to win it all. The business end of the season, the big games - and he bams them in. The strike against Spurs and header against Munich sum him up as a player for me. When he's hot you can't stop him.

The Spurs goal in particular - Gallas is tight enough to him, he's a long way out without a great angle and BOOM! it's in the net. What can you do with that as an opponent other than shake your head and applaud?

For sure, at Stamford Bridge he rolled around too much, and he could have scuppered his team when he conceeded two sloppy penalties. But that's all part of the show. We (Chelsea fans and haters alike) will miss him when he's gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

Fantastic player, a premier league and chelsea legend who solidified his legendary status for the club on saturday. he very nearly cost them on saturday by giving away a penalty and was lucky cech saved it.

Despite his undoubted quality as a striker he will also be remembered as one of the worst divers in football history. i really don't see how that can be disputed. he's been at it for years and is, at times, an embarrassment to himself and his club.

but that's part of his make up and i would imagine chelsea fans would say the same. great player, serious diver and a fine ambassador for african football.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭handsomecake

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Chelsea fans and haters alike will miss him when he's gone.
    nope. wont miss him at all. a guy who repeatedly cheated his fellow pros and showed complete disdain for fair play. there always a bit of gamemanship in sports but the way a guy in that sort of impeccable physical shape rolled around and feigned injury( often multiple times in the same game )is disgraceful.he really took it to the next level. people with real injuries or disablities would love to be able to play sport to a high level and this guy just made a complete show of himself feiging injury on an almost weekly basis.

the guy is immensely talented but ill remember him for all the wrong reasons.

im delighted for lampard and peter cech but disgusted this guy won the champions league,even worse that he got the winner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,261 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Any player that does some bad things but is still hailed as an icon by his club's fans is going to divide opinion and fans of rival clubs will always use his negative antics as a stick to beat him with.

For instance, I have a poor opinion of Roy Keane for the Haaland incident but Man U fans couldn't give a crap. Similaraly, a lot of people loathe Henry for what happened in Paris but I'm sure Arsenal fans don't let it shake their impression of him. As a Chelsea fan, I couldn't care less that he dives around on the pitch, it doesn't make all his great moments any less memorable or enjoyable.

Goodbye to a legend, he will be missed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭handsomecake

Any player that does some bad things but is still hailed as an icon by his club's fans is going to divide opinion and fans of rival clubs will always use his negative antics as a stick to beat him with.

For instance, I have a poor opinion of Roy Keane for the Haaland incident but Man U fans couldn't give a crap. Similaraly, a lot of people loathe Henry for what happened in Paris but I'm sure Arsenal fans don't let it shake their impression of him. As a Chelsea fan, I couldn't care less that he dives around on the pitch, it doesn't make all his great moments any less memorable or enjoyable.

Goodbye to a legend, he will be missed.
    ive completely gone off gareth bale for his diving this year. and he plays for my team. i finally washed my hands of him after the dive against daniel agger. id be delighted if we sold him.

the problem is football fans (all clubs)have an outrageous siege mentality and refuse to budge on any issue regarding their own club.

Every player has blotches on their copy books, some more then others.

Its safe to say without Drogba we wouldnt have won half the trophies we did. Romans best ever signing? He deserves to be mentioned as one of the best, if not THE best signing of the Roman revolution.

Dragged us through matches when we really shouldnt have been in them with how we played.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

So will it be anzi machakala or shanghai shenhua i wonder

Dempsey wrote: »

I'd say China, the racism in Russia for some of the Anzi players isnt something I'd imagine he'd want to hear.

Although €200,000 a week might twist his arm. :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Dempsey wrote: »

Was reported as essentially a done deal in the waiting (assuming he didnt get the new Chelsea deal he seamingly wanted) here (Shanghai) for the past few months. He will essentially be Anelka's assistant player manager and pick up unbelievable wages while doing so. Considering the charity work etc he is involved in though he's one I dont mind picking up the massive "Mercanary wage" available though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

One of those players I loved to hate. Especially as he used to do wreck against Liverpool.

I saw him on the Graham Norton show there recently and he came across very well, and you cant really hate on a guy who's trying to help out charity's in his home town.

I wont miss you Drogba!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement