Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MURDER

• 20-05-2012 12:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭

It seems that almost every second night when watching the irish news, we find out that a murder has taken place in some place or other and when one of the locals is being interviewed they will almost always say "jeasuz this kinda thing never happens here, this is a very quiet area, never a sign a trouble...." this has happened so often that you'd think the whole country has been covered, yet you can be sure that next week someone somewhere will be on the news saying how they're absolutely horrified that this has happened on their little patch. It's time to stop the lies and find out what places still have a clean slate.
    Where in the country has a murder not occured?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Why? Want to corner the market?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Limerick?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Belfast

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Back in the good old days when the country was filled with God-fearing men there were very few murders.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

My kitchen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭.same.

Pushtrak wrote: »
    Why? Want to corner the market?
    gotta find the right place don't wanna be just another face in the crowd

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

.same. wrote: »
    "jeasuz this kinda thing never happens here, this is a very quiet area, never a sign a trouble...."

Shuddup will ya. We dont want the house prices to decrease.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Battered Mars Bar

...or when they go "I heard a loud bang...it sounded like a firework going off or a car back firing"

No it was gun could you just say it sounded like a gunshot please and get off my television.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Is this the Bin Laden died in 2001 thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

You can hardly take ten steps in this country without tripping over a battlefield or grave, if you're looking for a place free of violent death, Ireland ain't it, for better or for worse. You can probably say the same about most countries with a traceable lineage back to the stone age though.

• Advertisement

galwayrush wrote: »
    Is this the Bin Laden died in 2001 thread?
    no this is the murder thread, it's a tread about murder people you do know galway is a terrible place for the bit of ole murder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Every time I see the word 'murder', the voice in my head always pronounces it like Taggart.

"There's been a marda!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

There's not enough murders if anything! MOAR MURDERS I SAY! Thin the herd a bit and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

You won't find a county in Ireland without a violent past OP

Not been a murder trial in Tipperary in a long while
    But Tipp was always near the top for agrarian violence and murdering landlords and agents and other farmers in disputes.

It's why the Brits separated it into North and South, it was just too much to handle on its own

Every other county has their own story

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭gilmour

mikemac1 wrote: »
    You won't find a county in Ireland without a violent past OP

Not been a murder trial in Tipperary in a long while

But Tipp was always at the start of agrarian violence and murdering landlords and agents and other farmers in disputes.

No trials but there has been murders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭southcentralts

I see the odd murder or two every time I look out the window.

No trials but there has been murders.

Oh right, hadn't heard about that

I remember reading the State wanted to hold the trials in the county where it happened

For example the first Nally case was held in Mayo where once it would have been shifted to Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

I see the odd murder or two every time I look out the window.
    them crows can be a right pain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Ensti

It seems that almost every second night when watching the irish news, we find out that a murder has taken place in some place or other and when one of the locals is being interviewed they will almost always say "jeasuz this kinda thing never happens here, this is a very quiet area, never a sign a trouble...." this has happened so often that you'd think the whole country has been covered, yet you can be sure that next week someone somewhere will be on the news saying how they're absolutely horrified that this has happened on their little patch. It's time to stop the lies and find out what places still have a clean slate.
    Where in the country has a murder has not occured?

Cavan, nobody goes there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

no this is the murder thread, it's a tread about murder people you do know galway is a terrible place for the bit of ole murder
    I'm tellin ya, they dug a lad out the back of a freezer a couple of years back. The freezer had been in use as part of a fish shop for some time while he was buried in it. Then a few years before that they found a torso. The rest of the body was apparently discovered in Clare. There's a dark side to Galway alright.
    It's why the Brits separated it into North and South, it was just too much to handle on its own
    So you're saying the north is less violent than the south.

Oh right, hadn't heard about that

I remember reading the State wanted to hold the trials in the county where it happened

For example the first Nally case was held in Mayo where once it would have been shifted to Dublin

Maybe, dont know, just thinking about a couple of murders that happened in Clonmel recently is all.

Ensti wrote: »
    Cavan, nobody goes there.
    Ok, you're taking the piss with Cavan, but its only been 5 weeks since in cavan murder has been the one of the main news stories.
    Same for the rest of the country

Ok,you're taking the piss with Cavan, but its only been 5 weeks since in cavan murder has been the one of the main news stories.
    Same for the rest of the country

That was the joke :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

What bout leitrim
    Never hear of anything happening in that county

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭conor360

Carlow :pac:

What bout leitrim
    Never hear of anything happening in that county
    Brendan Mcgovern less than a year ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

That was the joke :o
    But this is the point i'm tryin make you're saying cavan because you're aware that there has been murder there lately, the thing is there has been a murder everywhere lately
    someone said carlow-is he takin the piss or not there has also been murder there only a few weeks ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

But this is the point i'm tryin make you're saying cavan because you're aware that there has been murder there lately, the thing is there has been a murder everywhere lately
    someone said carlow-is he takin the piss or not there has also been murder there only a few weeks ago

How lately is lately?

A week
    A month
    A year
    20 years?

Chucken wrote: »
    How lately is lately?

A week
    A month
    A year
    20 years?
    a few years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

where i live i cant remember there ever being a murder !!!! now i did put a trap in the shed on Friday and caught a rat, i then ****ed it over the wall into next doors field, i dont know if this counts , oh and about a month and half a local man was found dead in a house fire and theyre are now saying he was beaten before fire took hold .... aaghh dam it , look what youve brought to our quiet neighborhood

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

conor360 wrote: »
    Carlow :pac:

Normally when someone puts :pac: after something they're joking

Check out Marú

It's on the TG4 website

Covers famous murders and trials in Ireland, many of them decades old

Usual top class from TG4, they make RTÉ look like clowns

• Advertisement

where i live i cant remember there ever being a murder !!!! now i did put a trap in the shed on Friday and caught a rat, i then ****ed it over the wall into next doors field, i dont know if this counts , oh and about a month and half a local man was found dead in a house fire and theyre are now saying he was beaten before fire took hold .... aaghh dam it , look what youve brought to our quiet neighborhood
    i'm taking about people being killed.

only last week they had this story about some guy who drank in a town called kilorgan in kerry and rte reported it as if the place was shocked and horrified yet around the same time (within a week) rte were also reporting on a murder trial on in killarney which is about a 15mins drive from kilorgan.

Normally when someone puts :pac: after something they're joking
    nevermind what people normally do, MURDER is no time for jokes

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Theres never been a murder in Roscrea in its recent civilised history, we have had manslaughter. Rape and non fatal stabbings have occurred also.

a few years

You see "a few" is relative. To you it might be 3 years, to me it might be 20 years.

Narrow it down a bit.

Last big murder case I remember near us was across the Shannon in East Clare

Brendan Patrick O'Donnell, triple killer

That was a long while ago, probably fifteen years or more

• Advertisement

I was just going to mention that but decided not to for personel reasons :(

http://www.sra-ireland.freepress-freespeech.com/brendanoDonnellmurders.htm

You see "a few" is relative. To you it might be 3 years, to me it might be 20 years.

Narrow it down a bit.
    7 years

yeah! there was a big whooo haaa made about all that, yet if you drive 20mins down the road to the city limerick they're poppin each other off like beer cans off a fence

yeah! there was a big whooo haaa made about all that, yet if you drive 20mins down the road to the city limerick they're poppin each other off like beer cans off a fence

Really? A big whooo haaa?? Thats mature. It was a "big whooo haaa"

You can make a comparison between a village of about 220 people to a city of
    91,000???

Really? A big whooo haaa?? Thats mature. It was a "big whooo haaa"

You can make a comparison between a village of about 220 people to a city of
    91,000???
    yes, it was to the people of that area at the time but if they broadened their gaze they'd realise that this kinda stuff happens allover the country all the time and that their little 9/11 event was no biggie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

i'm taking about people being killed.

only last week they had this story about some guy who drank in a town called kilorgan in kerry and rte reported it as if the place was shocked and horrified yet around the same time (within a week) rte were also reporting on a murder trial on in killarney which is about a 15mins drive from kilorgan.

thats the one im on about mmmmmmmm , did they say on the news anything about the rat :rolleyes:

Advertisement