Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need tips on saving more money.

Options
  • 20-05-2012 12:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭

Hi guys, I recently had to be hospitalised after an accident and had to spend a lot of my savings on medical costs. I know find myself withzero savings. I need to find ways to cut down on my outgoings and try earn more money by having a job on the side or something. Anyone got any ideas to increase savings?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

This isn't really the ideal forum to ask so maybe a mod could move it to a board where it might receive the best answers.

To answer you, I wrote up a quick bit of advice for anyone living on about about a grand a mouth in the summer of last year. Have a look and see if anything there is of use to you.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=72319868&postcount=247

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭rosehip

Hi Chargerman,

I've been on a very tight budget for years due to illness and hope this helps -

(some may seem to only save pennies BUT it all adds up. Calculate all your savings yearly ie €1 more for something weekly in supervalu instead of aldi - that's €52.)

*shop in Aldi - it's a third of normal prices for good food. Choose good food - not junk - protect your health. And base your weekly menu on what's on special.

*try to buy non perishables (tins, toilet paper etc) when it's on special and on a tight week/month you can raid the store cupboard. ~Also stops you running in to the shop for one thing and buying 16!

*cut out non-essential buys like extras in petrol stations - a fiver on coke and a mag, choc etc twice a week is €520 a year!

*cut out cleaning products, reduce it to fairy washing up liquid (blue) or Aldi (blue), bleach, bicarb of soda. Fairy does everything, bleach for toilet and refreshing whites in laundry, and bicarb and vinegar does blocked drains, toilets etc

*use half or third of washing powder, and never buy dryer sheets, fabric softener etc - not necessary.

*never buy air freshners etc, open windows.

*get cheapest gas and elec deals (think it's Bord Gais for elec lately and
    Flogas for gas) and get same for phone and broadband.

*in house, especially in winter, dress warmly, add a jumper and keep a blanket on the couch. Put a fleece blanket under your bottom sheet and over your top one and you'll be warm in minutes, so no heat needed in bedroom. Sort out draughts and pull all curtains and close all doors.

*turn off everything in the house you are not using - always

*shop in charity shops for books, clothes and donedeal etc for anything you need to buy/replace

*sell everything you don't need on Ebay or donedeal.

*try and pay off your debts and apportion money for bills into weekly or monthly amounts so that you have enough to pay say car insurance all at once - and not pay extra for monthly direct debits.

*try to only take the cash you have left out once weekly out of the atm and live off that and that way you cut down on credit card usage and/or going into overdraft.

*set up online banking so you can see your balance every day and check everything.

So, cash is king - but most importantly enjoy life - look on it as a challenge , as fun, and factor in a pint or two or a treat. Be honest with the people you can say it to and keep quiet with others and discover who your true friends are and how to enjoy the little things in life.

Kind Regards,
    Rose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭chargerman

RichardAnd wrote: »
    This isn't really the ideal forum to ask so maybe a mod could move it to a board where it might receive the best answers.

To answer you, I wrote up a quick bit of advice for anyone living on about about a grand a mouth in the summer of last year. Have a look and see if anything there is of use to you.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=72319868&postcount=247
    Excellent thanks for that! Much Appreciateed!!
    rosehip wrote: »
    Hi Chargerman,

I've been on a very tight budget for years due to illness and hope this helps -

(some may seem to only save pennies BUT it all adds up. Calculate all your savings yearly ie €1 more for something weekly in supervalu instead of aldi - that's €52.)

*shop in Aldi - it's a third of normal prices for good food. Choose good food - not junk - protect your health. And base your weekly menu on what's on special.

*try to buy non perishables (tins, toilet paper etc) when it's on special and on a tight week/month you can raid the store cupboard. ~Also stops you running in to the shop for one thing and buying 16!

*cut out non-essential buys like extras in petrol stations - a fiver on coke and a mag, choc etc twice a week is €520 a year!

*cut out cleaning products, reduce it to fairy washing up liquid (blue) or Aldi (blue), bleach, bicarb of soda. Fairy does everything, bleach for toilet and refreshing whites in laundry, and bicarb and vinegar does blocked drains, toilets etc

*use half or third of washing powder, and never buy dryer sheets, fabric softener etc - not necessary.

*never buy air freshners etc, open windows.

*get cheapest gas and elec deals (think it's Bord Gais for elec lately and
    Flogas for gas) and get same for phone and broadband.

*in house, especially in winter, dress warmly, add a jumper and keep a blanket on the couch. Put a fleece blanket under your bottom sheet and over your top one and you'll be warm in minutes, so no heat needed in bedroom. Sort out draughts and pull all curtains and close all doors.

*turn off everything in the house you are not using - always

*shop in charity shops for books, clothes and donedeal etc for anything you need to buy/replace

*sell everything you don't need on Ebay or donedeal.

*try and pay off your debts and apportion money for bills into weekly or monthly amounts so that you have enough to pay say car insurance all at once - and not pay extra for monthly direct debits.

*try to only take the cash you have left out once weekly out of the atm and live off that and that way you cut down on credit card usage and/or going into overdraft.

*set up online banking so you can see your balance every day and check everything.

So, cash is king - but most importantly enjoy life - look on it as a challenge , as fun, and factor in a pint or two or a treat. Be honest with the people you can say it to and keep quiet with others and discover who your true friends are and how to enjoy the little things in life.

Kind Regards,
    Rose
    Hi Rose,
    Thanks very much for that. I too started to add up what I spend on a yearly basis as opposed to day-day or week to week. I shopped in Lidl (for my big shop) for the first time 2 weeks ago. I must say, I was weary at the start in case I didnt like the products but I am amazed. For what normally would have cost about €150 in tesc0, I spent 75 in lidl - thats a massive saving.

I went into Euro2 today and was amazed the about of products at such cheap prices, big colgate tootpaste was €1, bin bags, bleach, flash and loads more household items approx €1-1.50

I have my phone with o2, normally top up about 30 a month but with tesco mobile, every time you top up €10 or more - its doubled, and your still on the o2 network so think I will change this month.

I actuallywashed the floors in my bathroom and kitchen with the last bit of fairy bio (for washing machine) today and it left a lovely smell and brought the tiles up really shiny.

I always look at the flyers for tesco/supervalu and lidl so as you say I will stock up on tinned foods, toilet rolls etc when they are on offer.

One thing is for sure, I will definately be changing my spending habits. Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭rosehip

You seem to be doing very well already!

Keep up the good work.

I have loads more tips but didn't want to overwhelm you (not knowing your circumstances or how much effort you wanted to go into doing it).

Feel free to chat anytime :D

Cool no I deffo want to keep chatting about it, really need to get behind this. :D Its amazing what you can do when you put your mind to it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Using supermarket Own Brand products saves a fortune for very little difference in quality imho. Most are made by the same companies that make the brands you pay three times the amount for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

Hi guys, I recently had to be hospitalised after an accident and had to spend a lot of my savings on medical costs

After the initial charge does the state not pay ?

You can claim back medical expenses at a rate of 20% from the Revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Liam D Ferguson

amen wrote: »

+1

This reminds me - make sure you've claimed all tax allowances to which you're entitled for the last four years. Have a look here for a brief list of the more common ones. If you haven't claimed everything, you can go back up to four years. There are various firms around that will submit such claims for you for a cut of the refund or if you have the time and patience you can do it yourself.

amen wrote: »
    After the initial charge does the state not pay ?

Ya the state kicks in after awhile but going public wasn't an option for some of the tests and had to go private and the state doesn't cover that. It wasn't my choice to go private

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

chargerman wrote: »
    Excellent thanks for that! Much Appreciateed!!

Hi Rose,
    Thanks very much for that. I too started to add up what I spend on a yearly basis as opposed to day-day or week to week. I shopped in Lidl (for my big shop) for the first time 2 weeks ago. I must say, I was weary at the start in case I didnt like the products but I am amazed. For what normally would have cost about €150 in tesc0, I spent 75 in lidl - thats a massive saving.

I went into Euro2 today and was amazed the about of products at such cheap prices, big colgate tootpaste was €1, bin bags, bleach, flash and loads more household items approx €1-1.50

I have my phone with o2, normally top up about 30 a month but with tesco mobile, every time you top up €10 or more - its doubled, and your still on the o2 network so think I will change this month.

I actuallywashed the floors in my bathroom and kitchen with the last bit of fairy bio (for washing machine) today and it left a lovely smell and brought the tiles up really shiny.

I always look at the flyers for tesco/supervalu and lidl so as you say I will stock up on tinned foods, toilet rolls etc when they are on offer.

One thing is for sure, I will definately be changing my spending habits. Thanks again

Regarding your mobile try 48 its alot cheaper and don't worry about the age restriction they don't check.

Have a look at the thread you will save a fortune in the long run.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056531404

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Install cabbage on your phone and use that for sending messages for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 david_dsouza

Well, today people want to save extra money for future use. This is because of increasing expensiveness in each and every field in the world. The best saving option according to me is using services of banks like PF saving accounts, FD policies. I have tried them and these are really working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Whats PF saving accounts, FD policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Liam D Ferguson

BostonB wrote: »
    Whats PF saving accounts, FD policies.

Suspect david_dsouza isn't in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

If you need to replace some equipment, shop with Amazon. I manage to save quite a bit by placing things in my basket and then not proceeding to check out. I then receive nearly daily emails with other often better offers. Also always check out mailing costs and group orders so you get free delivery. I've saved quite a bit that way for essential items

Advertisement