Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Parents & Communion Money

• 20-05-2012 1:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Anyone else notice how many things the parents by themselves with the cash the receive from 'doing the rounds' with their kids at family and friends homes on communion days, I work in retail so I see fathers buying watches for themselves or mothers buying jewelry for themselves etc... how many actually refuse to take money when they go visiting? how many parents if they do accept money put it in to savings a/c for the kids?

cheeky bastards :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Ach shure it's wild altogether

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

shur the kid would only spend it on sweets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

I don't know a single parent who'd take a penny of their kid's communion money for themselves.

You'd want to be one mean bast@rd to do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Tis terrible, Joe, terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

I think you mean bi parents are mean.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

My little girl made her communion last week. We went to the pub and she bought me drink all day with her cash.

I got so trashed I could barely see the road in front of me when I drove home. Kebab went everywhere.

She really is the best daughter a father could ask for.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭CavanCrew

My communion money was put into my credit union account, i blew it all 1st year freshers week of college

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭battries not included

Question is;

Where can I get one of these money making machines you call 'kids' :pac::pac:

crosses fingers and hopes for post of the day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Jesus, I find the whole idea of "doing the rounds" at communion so vulgar and tacky. Is this common?

The only person I called on for my communion was my granny as she was too ill to attend my communion. Surly anyone else close or who cares will call to the house themselves to see the kid.

Question is;

Well, when a lady and a man love each other very much, the man waters the lady's garden and a baby grows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

Ta feck there seems to be an awful lot of parent haters out there these days, but I bet if under scrutiny, the same parent haters would still be bringing the underpants and blankies home every weekend in a big black sack for the Mammy to wash, or perhaps I am way off the mark or skid mark to those opposed to the parents.

Well, when a lady and a man love each other very much, the man waters the lady's garden and a baby grows.

Pics or get the funk off :)

or if you have skype... :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

We'd communion last Sunday for my little cousin, I spent 20 euro on a beautiful crystal cross and gave it to her to wear for her big day. I got no thanks and was looked on for being a cheap skate for not giving her cold hard cash by her mother and co. Such a crowd of ****. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

crosses fingers and hopes for post of the day
    Take a screenshot of your post and stick it in YLYL.

That's where all the POTDs come from. Bound to get it if you post it there.

Definitely.

No question.

Guaranteed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Ruralyoke

Ach shure it's wild altogether

Well you're from Donegal my hirsute honey :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Ruralyoke

Jesus, I find the whole idea of "doing the rounds" at communion so vulgar and tacky. Is this common?

The only person I called on for my communion was my granny as she was too ill to attend my communion. Surly anyone else close or who cares will call to the house themselves to see the kid.

Yes it's common AFAIK.

And yes, it's common.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I cant believe it! People knocking on doors : like on Halloween ?
    I thought you were supposed to hire a bouncy castle & get the cater-ers in & at least out in a bit of effort !?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭tempura

I find the whole idea of making your commuion vulgar and tacky !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

how do you know it's the communion money they're spending?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭branbee

Three times this week I've heard parents say to their kids 'no Im not getting you that, wait til you get your communion money then you can get what you want', imo its all just a day centred around money for most people now and i wish all that money given was done away with. It seems its only getting worse.

I think my school did a great thing by asking all the kids to give some of their money to the school. My year ended up buying new benches with the money we gave.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

We'd communion last Sunday for my little cousin, I spent 20 euro on a beautiful crystal cross and gave it to her to wear for her big day. I got no thanks and was looked on for being a cheap skate for not giving her cold hard cash by her mother and co. Such a crowd of ****. :rolleyes:

Another example of you bible-lovers bringing religion where it is not wanted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I put my communion money in the bank, I think it was £100 or so.

I thought I was great, until a few weeks later my parents made me take it out to 'loan' to them for something. I never got it back. Bastards.

I didn't make that mistake again though, I blew my Confirmation money the day I got it! Went to the cinema and got meself a mobile :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

At fhc now- yawn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I will not be giving any money to kids for their communion... They can go and sh*te. Don't care if I'm seen as cheap, it's taking the p*ss that they'd be given so much money for some irrelevant ritual that they don't even understand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

sam34 wrote: »
    how do you know it's the communion money they're spending?

They must be coming in and saying, "give me that expensive watch. Do you take fresh communion cash baptised in child's tears?".

It's terrible, Joe. Terrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

how much did u get off her?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

haha. That made me laugh.

I remember making my communion, waaaaay back in the early 80s and it wasn't in Ireland, but all we got were little Holy pictures, little crosses etc... no-one got actual cash.

Expecting cash is just appalling but I am guessing for some kids, it is the most they and their parents know they will get to spend on themselves for a long time so they go a bit b*t**** crazy over it.

Fcuking desperate though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Like you would have wanted a holy roller cross when you were 8.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

its not about the money money money, its about the fooking little lord Fauntleroy look your put in while dragged from house to house smiling at people you only ever met once before if at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

I don't think anyone goes around houses like they did back in the day..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Every single penny of my communion and confirmation money went into my mother's purse and I never saw it again. I'm not complaining, and I didn't at the time, because she used it to feed and clothe the family.

The amount of money kids make these days is ridiculous; my nephew netted the best part of a grand at his communion (a 7 year old with almost a thousand euro, ffs!). OTOH one of my nieces made her confirmation recently; unlike her cousin she thanked everyone for their kindness, had no idea how much she was given, and I'll wager it's all in her parent's bank account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

My daughter spent her conformation money on a weeks holiday at an adventure centre, she loves doing the canoeing, rock climbing and so on so decided to give herself a week at an adventre centre, full board and bed....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I don't know a single parent who'd take a penny of their kid's communion money for themselves.
    Sadly I knew of a few.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

I would never have the balls to drag my kids around the relatives and neighbours begging for money.

Thank God I'm an atheist and won't ever have to be in that situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

They were talking on the radio last week about how much kids get these days.
    I was shocked!
    For a minute I thought about getting my 8+4 year old's christened so they could make their communion - would be a handy way to pay some of the bills!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Crystal? Cheap b*stard. Should have been diamond!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Question is;

Portugal.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Portugal.

Ouch! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Portugal.
    That was you?! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭joeperry

My nephew is making his Communion next Saturday :cool:, i'll give him 20euro :pac:

When i made my Communion i got 63punts and i opened a Henry hippo account with it and i'm still with Ulster bank :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I didn't go around the houses when I made my commuion or confirmation, grew up in London though so maybe different traditions.

All the realatives and family friends did call to the house though. Cant remember what the final total was for the communion, but the confirmation bought in around £300+. Bought a couple of tapes and a new walkman, the rest went into the Building Society.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Disagree. Single parents are probably struggling to pay the bills and all that so its probably them what's taking the cash off the kids, eiyh no fathers and buying Dutch Gold in the evening when the children she tucked away on their mattresses.IMO. Can't imagine proper parents doing this kind of thing but then again you never know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Crystal? Cheap b*stard. Should have been diamond!!!

I would have still prefered cash.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Posy wrote: »
    That was you?! :mad:

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Anyone else notice how many things the parents by themselves with the cash the receive from 'doing the rounds' with their kids at family and friends homes on communion days, I work in retail so I see fathers buying watches for themselves or mothers buying jewelry for themselves etc... how many actually refuse to take money when they go visiting? how many parents if they do accept money put it in to savings a/c for the kids?

cheeky bastards :mad:
    So what you're telling us is that you see people buying watches in the months when Communions are ongoing.

That definitely means they're spending their kids communion money alright.

Thankfully my four kids won't be doing this money raking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

I got a missal and a crucifix for my communion.

Can I re-do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

My mam thought it would be a good idea to spend all mine on eircom shares for me, think we all know how that went.

:'(

• Advertisement
Advertisement