Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Don't Know What To Think

Options
  • 20-05-2012 1:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭

A few weeks ago I came home from work and headed straight for bed. I work nights so when I get home I'm usually the only person up.
    This particular night I was more tired than usual but I don't know if I should put what happened down to that.
    I came in the front door, closed all the doors downstairs (usual habit of mine. Freaks me out when there's an open door with the lights off inside, don't know why exactly) and I went upstairs. Went to the toilet and just as I closed my brothers bedroom door (he wasn't home) and went to walk into my room I heard my name being called directly behind me. It was load and real enough to make me jump. I thought maybe it was my mam who had gotten up to use the toilet, as she's scared me a couple of times doing that, but when I listened I could hear her snoring, my dad snoring and my little brother snoring (you're all probably wondering how I get any sleep in my house at all :P) There was no way it could've been my other brother.
    I stood in shock for several seconds and eventually went into my room but I still didn't feel comfortable.
    I don't know what to think. Part of me thinks that it was all in my head, but if I'm getting a fright because of voices in my own head then I have bigger problems lol.
    I asked everyone in family the next day, none of them called out my name or remember doing it.

That's basically the only "experience" I've ever had but I don't know if I'd call it that.
    I don't really believe in any of this, as much as I do enjoy reading about other people's stories.
    Just thought I'd share this and see if anyone has experienced anything similar.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 makesmeLOL

Sounds spooky.

Are you as mad as your username suggests?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

It's possible that someone heard you coming up and called your name in their sleep, or that you imagined it. The mind can play funny tricks sometimes; if I'm tired it sounds like the fan in my bathroom is calling 'Jolene, Jolene'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

makesmeLOL wrote: »

makesmeLOL - Cop yourself on and have a bit of bloody respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

kylith wrote: »
    [...] The mind can play funny tricks sometimes; if I'm tired it sounds like the fan in my bathroom is calling 'Jolene, Jolene'.

Lol! Dolly Parton is providing a free concert in your own bathroom. :D

But on a serious note, OP, the same thing happened to me a few times when I was a teenager. On each occasion, I was in the house alone and I heard my name being called from what seemed like another room. I actually went down to the room in question to see what the source of it was, even though I was certain there was no-one else in the house at the time. I never found any source, so I really don't know where it came from. I could believe it came from my own head, or it was simply my imagination, but it definitely sounded external, like someone else nearby had said it.

On another occasion, I was, again, alone in the house just singing away to myself for the craic and, after each line I sang, I could clearly hear 'someone' repeating it. It wasn't an echo of my own warbling because you couldn't get an echo in that house. Also, when 'they' sang it back, it wasn't a perfect repetition of what I had sang either, if you know what I mean (not that I'm an expert on singing). It sounded like a totally different person singing it as well. I know my own voice.

I could never figure out the cause of either of those incidents, and I haven't experienced anything similar in the years since then, but I know they happened.

I often experience the sensation that someone is with me when I'm alone as well. Sometimes more strongly than other times. It's so strong, it's as if it's a living person right there - except I can't see them. Usually it doesn't spook me, unless I feel whatever-it-is gets too close for comfort (same as a stranger getting too close to me in a queue, or whatever).

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭CajunPenguin

A few weeks ago I came home from work and headed straight for bed. I work nights so when I get home I'm usually the only person up.
    This particular night I was more tired than usual but I don't know if I should put what happened down to that.
    I came in the front door, closed all the doors downstairs (usual habit of mine. Freaks me out when there's an open door with the lights off inside, don't know why exactly) and I went upstairs. Went to the toilet and just as I closed my brothers bedroom door (he wasn't home) and went to walk into my room I heard my name being called directly behind me. It was load and real enough to make me jump. I thought maybe it was my mam who had gotten up to use the toilet, as she's scared me a couple of times doing that, but when I listened I could hear her snoring, my dad snoring and my little brother snoring (you're all probably wondering how I get any sleep in my house at all :P) There was no way it could've been my other brother.
    I stood in shock for several seconds and eventually went into my room but I still didn't feel comfortable.
    I don't know what to think. Part of me thinks that it was all in my head, but if I'm getting a fright because of voices in my own head then I have bigger problems lol.
    I asked everyone in family the next day, none of them called out my name or remember doing it.

That's basically the only "experience" I've ever had but I don't know if I'd call it that.
    I don't really believe in any of this, as much as I do enjoy reading about other people's stories.
    Just thought I'd share this and see if anyone has experienced anything similar.
    I always hear people calling my name. Never anything else. none of that movie stuff:
    kill them all....
    what?
    nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

It's possible that someone heard you coming up and called your name in their sleep

Tbh thats the first thing I though of when I read it. Did the voice sound like you knew who it was from?

I don't really believe in any of this...

But it all sounds so real.

I could believe it came from my own head...

Why?

Its funny you should say that. I was doing some work for a company in Scotland last year. I was working 10 hour days for a week. When i was going to bed, i could still hear them. I had myself switched on so much it felt like i was still working.

Saying that there have been lots of reports of people hearing their names being called. Some people might now suggest to you to write down all your experience's.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭MadMardegan

makesmeLOL wrote: »
    Sounds spooky.

Obviously never seen Willow before ey? :P
    It's possible that someone heard you coming up and called your name in their sleep, or that you imagined it. The mind can play funny tricks sometimes; if I'm tired it sounds like the fan in my bathroom is calling 'Jolene, Jolene'.

That was the first thing I thought but it really sounded like it was coming from directly over my shoulder and I don't recall it sounding like anyone in the house. Plus, it sounded like it was said with a purpose rather than someone sleepily saying it.

Ever since it happened I've been bracing myself when I get to the exact point in the landing outside my room where it "happened" but nothing yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Karona

I fell asleep one day on the sofa and my mam was out in the kitchen and she said I kept calling her, she kept coming in to see what I wanted because of the way i was calling her and I was fast asleep, so maybe it was someone asleep and they were dreaming about you..... just a thought maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

That was the first thing I thought but it really sounded like it was coming from directly over my shoulder and I don't recall it sounding like anyone in the house. Plus, it sounded like it was said with a purpose rather than someone sleepily saying it.

but as the previous poster said it could have been someone dreaming about you and they might have had an emotional dream hence it was said with force, just a thought

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭MadMardegan

fryup wrote: »

but as the previous poster said it could have been someone dreaming about you and they might have had an emotional dream hence it was said with force, just a thought

Yeah it's obviously the most logical answer.
    Just made me jump at the time cause it sounded like it came from right over my shoulder, didn't sound like it came from upstairs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

Yeah it's obviously the most logical answer.
    Just made me jump at the time cause it sounded like it came from right over my shoulder, didn't sound like it came from upstairs

it think it's as logical and likely an answer is that you hallucinated it. i've done it myself. in that kind of situation, where you're maybe a bit tense, and it's late at night, you're keeping very quiet, a sound can take on more meaning in a split second. usually you look around, and seeing nothing there realise you must have imagined it.

i think it's less likely that you heard someone calling your name out in their sleep, that would be a real sound in a distant room, and would have sounded as such, you wouldn't confuse it with a voice right behind you.

that or you have a ghost in your house :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Priori

Auditory hallucinations are quite common, particulary when a person is tired, and doesn't indicate there is anything wrong with them. It could have been just such an hallucination, or perhaps a whisper from one of your sleeping siblings, hard to know.

Or... it might have been something else entirely... :eek:

f62_d5b8b3be24.jpg

Seriously though, I wouldn't worry too much. Certainly no reason to think you're losing your marbles, even if it was an hallucination.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

RGDATA! wrote: »
    it think it's as logical and likely an answer is that you hallucinated it. i've done it myself. in that kind of situation, where you're maybe a bit tense, and it's late at night, you're keeping very quiet, a sound can take on more meaning in a split second. usually you look around, and seeing nothing there realise you must have imagined it.

i think it's less likely that you heard someone calling your name out in their sleep, that would be a real sound in a distant room, and would have sounded as such, you wouldn't confuse it with a voice right behind you.

that or you have a ghost in your house :eek:
    That's a very good point. I very clearly heard my phone beep as it got a text when I was going to bed tonight. It wasn't until I reached for it that I realised I'd left it downstairs so there was no way I could have heard it. The brain plays tricks on you when you're tired, which isn't really fair...

Advertisement