Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unmarked speed camera vans

• 20-05-2012 2:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭

Was driving down the N11 tonight and saw a flash from a mostly unmarked transit. Went back to inspect and saw that there was just the garda symbol on the back. The road doesn't have any speed camera signs. Is it necessary for speed camera vans to only be located on roads on which signs are present?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Farcear

Sorry, you can't ask for legal advice on this forum -- http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054893130

You should ask your solicitor or at your local Free Legal Advice Centre -- http://www.flac.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭J77

Farcear wrote: »
    Sorry, you can't ask for legal advice on this forum -- http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054893130

You should ask your solicitor or at your local Free Legal Advice Centre -- http://www.flac.ie/

Apologies, I have rephrased my post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Not as far as I'm aware. They won't fine anyone not speeding. There is one frequently outside my gaff on the quays - I even try and warn people if I'm walking up the road. That said it's a 50Kph zone and some people are going bonkers speeds toward Heuston - quite enjoy seeing them done actually ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

My understanding is that they can be set up anywhere that the Garda feel appropriate and the vans sometimes have no markings at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭rab!dmonkey

It's only the privately operated (GoSafe) vans which have to be conspicuously marked. The Gardaí can hide their equipment as well as they like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭source

The gosafe vans must stick to certain areas, and they must be marked for speed enforcement. However they do have survey units which are not used for enforcement, they're used to see if the vans are having an effect....these are unmarked.

The gosafe vans do not carry the Garda crest anywhere on their livery.

AGS have their own gatso vans, they can be marked/unmarked and can be used on any road in the country. It would seem going off your OP that it was a Garda van you saw.

Edit: the main distinguishing feature between Garda and gosafe gatso, is the 'snorkle' at the back of the gosafe vans.

Garda vans look like ordinary white transits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

So if the road is not sign posted what is the speed limit?

Which county and what section of the road are you asking about. Or you could simply call the local Garda station for that district and they will tell you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭source

Zambia wrote: »
    So if the road is not sign posted what is the speed limit?

He's referring to areas marked as speed camera operating areas. The speed limit will still be posted.

No I mean if your driving down a road you dont know and there are no speed limit signs what speed should you be driving at?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭mackerski

No I mean if your driving down a road you dont know and there are no speed limit signs what speed should you be driving at?

I'll give you a clue - it was in that book you read while learning to drive.

mackerski wrote: »
    I'll give you a clue - it was in that book you read while learning to drive.
    Maybe I missed it best you tell me if you dont mind like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭mackerski

Maybe I missed it best you tell me if you dont mind like.

If I don't mind... Well, let's put it like this. Apparently this is a country where people are prepared to take a few tonnes of metal out on a road without knowing so much as the basics of how to use them. I've been paying through the nose for insurance for years because of this, despite being claim-free myself.

So what do you reckon? Do you think I mind?

Go find a good driving school. Who knows what else you might have missed?

He's in Oz where the rules are different! Talk about an over reaction.

You should be driving at 50 if you don't know what the limit is - the traffic on the road will guide you as you find some.

So you agree that the fact there are no Speed Signs makes no difference.

So you agree that the fact there are no Speed Signs makes no difference.

I don't actually know but I remember a discussion on another thread here where someone asserted that it didn't matter. It was up to the driver to know the limit and drive under it. The obvious conclusion being - if in doubt - drive slowly!

I don't actually know but I remember a discussion on another thread here where someone asserted that it didn't matter. It was up to the driver to know the limit and drive under it. The obvious conclusion being - if in doubt - drive slowly!
    I would agree however for the sake of fair play if your going to set up a speed camera you should at least give the motorist a few signs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

there are speed limits posted at the beginning of each section of road...generally this will be

120km/h on a motorway and selected other roads,
    100 km/h on National roads
    and various on Urban roads, and some other locations.
    all clearly marked.
    If you aren't in an Urban area and you don't see any signs for a while,the General limit is 80 km/h

Ok, plain and simple... every road in the country has a speed sign on it somewhere, usually at the begining and at points where another road joins it. It is the responsability of the driver to make themselves aware of the speed limit as they join the road. If you missed the signpost then you should proceed at a slower thsn usual speed until you find one.
    And never use another cars speed as a guide, he could be travelling above the speed limit abd both of you get done then!!
    And telling a Garda that you did not see the speed sign will usually end up with a "driving without due care and attention" offence.

I would agree however for the sake of fair play if your going to set up a speed camera you should at least give the motorist a few signs.

I never understand why people get narky about speed cameras. They are so easily avoided - Don't Speed!

Admittedly though the Gardai should check an area to make sure the speed limit signs are posted but I rarely come across a road I don't know the limit on.

(While I drive round on my learners permit :D)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I never understand why people get narky about speed cameras. They are so easily avoided - Don't Speed!

Admittedly though the Gardai should check an area to make sure the speed limit signs are posted but I rarely come across a road I don't know the limit on.

(While I drive round on my learners permit :D)

And that note only are they posted, but also correct. I have seen in a few places where some joker has turned the sign around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

From what I was told they don't have to have any signs and their excuse is that the little Garda sign on the back is enough to tell u to slow down whether u seen it or not

irish-stew wrote: »
    And that note only are they posted, but also correct. I have seen in a few places where some joker has turned the sign around.

Not beyond the realms of common sense for the guard to drive 500m in both directions and sort out the signs - but remember this is the AGS we're talking about. Probably some union rule against it!
    From what I was told they don't have to have any signs and their excuse is that the little Garda sign on the back is enough to tell u to slow down whether u seen it or not

To be fair the van are dead obvious - They have a logo on the back door and a really odd back window.

To be fair the van are dead obvious - They have a logo on the back door and a really odd back window.

I know a bloke who worked as a camera operator here.

During the Police industrial Action here the police would regularly spend 15 Minutes of Patrol time sat behind a unmarked State Private speed camera car.

The blue and red lights would be on and the officers out in Fluro Vests roadside.

However the Camera car operators still would catch people over the speed limit driving by.

If you are not doing anything wrong on the road then you have nothing to be worried about and therefore you do not need any advance warning that there is a speed detection van up ahead.

Slow Down Stay Within The Speed Limit and you have nothing to worry about.

Its the same as Drinking and Driving.
    If you do not drink and drive you have nothing to worry about.

Simples...!!!

Advertisement