Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

theoretical question on contract law

• 20-05-2012 3:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭

ok here goes,person signs a contract,the supplier doesn't supply what is stated in the contract and also supplies a substandard service,what course of action,if any, can be sought???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,340 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

It depends on the type of contract. Different types of business have different regulatory bodies.
    The next course of action would differ lets say between a bank and a bin company. Is there a specific type of business you want to know about. Legal action would be a last resort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭jaspertheghost

It depends on the type of contract. Different types of business have different regulatory bodies.
    The next course of action would differ lets say between a bank and a bin company. Is there a specific type of business you want to know about. Legal action would be a last resort.

its say,a self employed photographer,who on the contract promised a 3d view of your whole body,but only deliverd a 2d view and your head wasn't in the view

No governing body for that industry, you would try and come to an agreement, failing that the small claims court would be the only option. A solicotors letter might be enough to avpid the court route.

No governing body for that industry, you would try and come to an agreement, failing that the small claims court would be the only option. A solicotors letter might be enough to avpid the court route.

ok,but if a civilian wanted to pursue this without a solicitor what would they have to do??? surely if its civil court then a solicitors letter could be avoided??? (if the person cant afford a solicitor) ,once again this is only a theoretical case(for the mods)

The letter might rattle the business enough to resolve things outside court. If not going with a letter then you would go straight to the small claims court if the case could be proven.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Right I know I'm going to catch hell for this but, pretty please, don't use multiple punctuation it makes the question look daft!

It's important you put the question in context; if this is an exam question you're having problems with you should say - an possibly get a bit of flaming - as the way you'd answer and exam vs a real world answer will be somewhat different.

I'll use this as a plug for the undergrad exam thread but I think it's died. If you post a bit more detail I'll help you the best I can but be warned I'm only doing Contract this year myself!

I see I have you confused with a law student because of your previous thread - my apologies use as many question marks as you like. :P

Have you previously posted ref doing law degree if so PM me if you're looking for the odd case I'll try and help you out. Check BAILII first though. Don't be afraid to be bold and use GCD's library. If you behave you'll get left alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭jblack

ok here goes,person signs a contract,the supplier doesn't supply what is stated in the contract and also supplies a substandard service,what course of action,if any, can be sought???

Off the top of my head;

Breach of contract -

Failure of performance and repudiatory breach
    Remedies? - specific performance, damages for non-performance, damages for incorrect supply, rejection, potential consequential economic loss, pure economic loss, right to abate and have another perform the work, termination, set off from damages, abatement for loss.

Breach of duty

FAilure to exercise requisite standard of skill and care

similar to contract, may be concurrent duties, doubtful that economic loss is recoverable etc.

Breach of statutory duty,

duties under the sale of goods legislation and the supply of goods and services legislation - you can look that up as I'm doing your homework for you here.

cheers all, i`m not a student and this wasn't for an exam.just something that came up in conversation the other night, cheers gcd i will pick your brain every now and again if that's ok...

Advertisement