Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carna open pit molybdenum mine?

Options
  • 20-05-2012 8:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭

Anyone out around Carna heard anything about Moag Inc., a Canadian exploration company, who has the base metal exploration licence around Carna who are considering drilling a number of drill holes to economically prove the molybdenum deposit that's there. There's a technical report for anyone interested..

http://www.moag.ca/system/app/pages/search?scope=search-site&q=mace

How would an open pit go down with the Carnaites?

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

This was of interest some years back when Molybdenum prices were twice what they are now. It is less likely now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

thanks, you prompted me to look at the recent prices and found this intersting article from last year. anyhow, back on topic, just wanted to find out whether folks back in those parts are aware of this - it'd probably have a limited footprint and life as a mine if it ever got going but diamond exploration in granitic rocks ain't easy or cheap and these fellas aren't doing it for sport... so if the prices do cycle again to a peak in the next 10+ years you never know.

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

They have found a 2 x 2 km area somewhere inside the prospecting zone...somewhere. An operation like this is years away...the EIS alone will takle at least 3 years and the planning, scraping crusties off rocks, and fencing it off will take another 3 years.

Then they must build a jetty to export the mineral to a smelter etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭tphase

jkforde wrote: »
    How would an open pit go down with the Carnaites?

the Carnalites might be happy with the extra money it generates in the locality but I doubt the residents of Dubithir, Mace and Ard would be overly happy about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

This once I may side with the crusties on the rocks :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,759 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Is Carna in Connemara? If so then no mining, especially open pit mining, should be allowed there.

The landscape and environment in West County Galway is too beautiful and precious to endanger.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Is Carna in Connemara? If so then no mining, especially open pit mining, should be allowed there.

The landscape and environment in West County Galway is too beautiful and precious to endanger.

So you haven't been in Carna then?

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Is Carna in Connemara?

Yes, it is.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,759 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Das Kitty wrote: »
    So you haven't been in Carna then?

Not in Carna itself but I've been to Clifden, Roundstone, Renvyle and Leenane many times. The idea of an open pit mine in Connemara, IMO the most beautiful and scenic part of Ireland, horrifies me.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭tphase

looks like drilling is going ahead according to this press release

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    They have found a 2 x 2 km area somewhere inside the prospecting zone...somewhere. An operation like this is years away...the EIS alone will takle at least 3 years and the planning, scraping crus off rocksstie, and fencing it off will take another 3 years.

Then they must build a jetty to export the mineral to a smelter etc.

There a lot of environmental hoops for mining nowadays compared to Tynagh over 50 years ago.

NB if scraping crusties off rocks please ensure that no rare lichens are damaged

Advertisement