Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giving a Pup Cooked Meat for Food

• 20-05-2012 8:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I'd always thought that giving a pup some cooked meat in moderation was fine. A friend of mine had some springer pups and was giving them meat from a young age and they were some of the nicest pups I had ever seen.

That said, another friend of mine recently remarked that her vet told her that cooked meat is not good for pups until at least after 6 months as it is too protein rich for their young stomachs.

To be honest that sounds like nonsense to me. Dogs have been living on meat rich diets for years. Just wondering what is the opinion of others?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

Sounds like nonsence to me, plenty of breeders rear pups onto raw food diets and plenty of people who get an 8 week old pup put it on a raw diet too. Bags of dried puppy food average about 30% protein which is far higher than the 20-24% average in adult foods. Double check with your own vet.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Your instincts are absolutely right! Raw meat is better from a nutritional point of view, but many dogs prefer the taste of cooked. So, if you have the opportunity to feed meat raw, do. Lightly cooked is the next option. But as fas as I'm concerned, even well cooked meat has got to be better nutritionally than most (all?) of the dry foods out there!
    However, it is important to get a balance over time if you decide to go for a home-prepared diet for your pup, so have a look at www.dogsfirst.ie, which I think provides pretty balanced and accessible info on the whole concept.
    Good luck!

Advertisement