Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Insanity Workout: Anyone try it?

15678911»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭NeverWaining

I did about three days of it and then took a few days complete rest. Its up to you, the Month 2 workouts are tough enough , i would be delaying the as much as possible

Haha thanks Dixie Chick. I've read plenty of bad things about Month 2, but I'm either going to do it or not. I won't know until I try and I'm pretty keen to see how it goes.
    I may well share your opinion after starting it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I tried some of the stuff in the middle but didn't enjoy the workouts as much so just got stuck straight into the 2nd month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Paully D wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I've started back doing the Insanity programme last week so thought it might give me a bit more encouragement and motivation if I was to post about it here weekly to update my progress too.

I tried it for the first time in the summer of 2012, stuck to the training schedule religiously and saw some great results upon completion. I initially did it with the intention of losing weight, however, I actually put on 1lb but toned up all over and looked/felt so much better. Over the last couple of years I've put everything back on (and then some!) and as a result of other factors along with my lack of commitment I've never stuck to the programme for more than a week or two before bailing out. However, I have some goals/targets in mind now and I'm determined to stick to it. I do find it extremely tough as I'm up very early for work and home very late (it's literally get home, do Insanity, shower, eat and go to bed) and after a long day it's the last thing I want to do, but I know the benefits are worth it and feel so good at the end of each session.

Week 1:

The fit test was a nightmare :pac: I literally struggled to walk around the next day I was so sore, and I posted some pretty poor numbers across all exercises. I felt quite disheartened on Tuesday and Wednesday doing the Plyo and Cardio Power sessions as for the second set of exercises I spent more time staring at the ground and the pool of my own sweat than actually being able to follow Shaun T and co. The stretching session on Thursday was most welcome as my muscles were killing me, but then something changed on Friday and Saturday. I love Pure Cardio anyway as it feels so much quicker than the other sessions but yet just as, if not more, difficult. However, I completed the warm up with minimum need for a quick water break and felt so much stronger doing the exercises. Same on Saturday, I was struggling with the level 1 drills earlier in the week but was getting through 3 sets of the level 2 drills before needing to break at the end of the week.

One thing I do really find boring is the warm up and stretching. Of course it's vital and I understand it's value, but in total it takes up about a third of the session and after going through the programme before, I know exactly what's coming and there's no real variation. I sometimes wish it was possible to jump straight into the circuits but do realise how foolish that would be. :pac:

Diet is obviously key, and while I don't even look at the Insanity specific diet, I know mine needs to change dramatically in line with doing the programme as it did in 2012. I felt I did well with that aspect this week. I had a bit of a slip today, but other than that I had decent breakfast, lunch and dinners for the rest of the week and will post a thread asking for advice with regards to my diet in the forum.

Overall a solid return and I'm hopefully for more of the same in week 2. I'll update next week. :)

Forgot all about this thread until I was reading back over my posting history and thought I'd update. I made the above post in mid-November, so a little over 10 months ago. At the time I made the above post I was a little over 14.7 stone, extremely unhappy with my weight, my diet was awful, and I had really let myself go. A couple of weeks before the above post something happened in my personal life that I just said to myself "**** this, I'm going to set myself a goal of losing weight" and it was a great motivator. I had had success with Insanity in the past so decided to break it out and use that to give me a kick start and as I wasn't a member of a gym and it was too dark to be out running the roads where I live, it was handy in the sense I could do this indoors.

In the beginning it was extremely tough given that I was up really early for work, home really late and for a few months my life during the week basically consisted of going to work, coming home and throwing on Insanity while being a moody grump, getting food and a shower and then going to sleep. It was hard mentally but I was motivated and stuck at it, I was seeing results on the scales which obviously helped. Now the real problem I have with Insanity is that it is so repetitive it does burn you out eventually, you start to know exactly what is coming up after a while and the warm up is mind-numbingly boring IMO. So I lasted about 6-7 full weeks of Insanity before I had to stop before I ironically went insane. Luckily I enjoy road running and the evenings were starting to perk up a bit so I mixed an odd Insanity session with anywhere between 2.5-5 miles of road running. I now do the road running as my form of exercise around 3 times a week and generally always try to do 4-5 miles when I go out. I feel Insanity was a huge help in preparing me for that.

10 months on and my diet is now unrecognisable from what it was and this is really the big thing. Like any program, you can stick with Insanity to the letter of the law but if your diet isn't right then it's largely a waste of time and trust me I've been there in the past. My Fitness Pal has been great for me. I input everything I eat without exception and feel much more accountable for what I'm putting into my body now. I'd highly recommend it.

In terms of actual results, I've gone from 14.7 stone when I started Insanity in mid-November to 13.1 at my last monthly weigh in. Seeing some pictures from back then and comparing them to recent ones is crazy and you know what, I really don't think it's all that difficult to do despite what I thought at the start. Sure, I definitely found it very tough at the start but it got so much easier as the weeks and soon months went on. I know I could have done even better in terms of weight loss with more discipline, but I enjoy a feed of pints a couple of times a month, I have a takeaway once a week and I've been away a couple of times during the period too which has resulted in consecutive days of bad eating and no exercise.

Anyway, I know Insanity gets a bad rep from some (some aspects I fully agree with, some I'd question) but in terms of giving you a start, improving your overall fitness and helping you to get on the right path then I think it's very good. If you're thinking about giving it a go, I say - do it! :D Just have a get out plan and/or a plan of what you're going to do after Insanity because I think it's needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Question for those who did Cardio Abs. I always found that it was my quads getting tired ahead of my abs due to having to hold the particular position. I don't know whether this is because my abs aren't strong enough so my legs are taking over or what, but it made it very difficult to complete the exercises.

Anyone else have this difficulty?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Anyone at it or p90 or another one lately?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭PopTarts

Is there any type of app available for this or something SImilar. I only have a tablet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Will be starting this again the weekend any one restarting ?

kilburn wrote: »
    Will be starting this again the weekend any one restarting ?

Just finished 3 weeks ago and went straight into p90x3. Was actually able to keep up with The insanity vids in the final week! Couldn't believe it! I went back to try out some of the shorter vids from the beginning and they were a doddle.

Diet is so so so important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,006 ✭✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Started again last week. 6 weeks to go yo hols.

Not doing it every single day but about 5 times a week.

• Advertisement

Started again last week. 6 weeks to go yo hols.

Not doing it every single day but about 5 times a week.
    You're not digging deep enough.

Keep that back leg straight.

Keep that back leg straight...
    ... Josh!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 jay18

I did it. Rolled over and fell asleep after 10 minutes and had an insanely good sleep. It works.

Anybody do the Tai Cheng program?

The links not working.

Maybe you have to be logged in/member to see more.

I've started doing some of the HIIT workouts by Joe Wicks (the bodycoach) that are on YouTube (or follow him on facebook).

Very similar to Shaun Ts stuff. Workouts are much shorter, usually 20-25 mind so sometimes I do a 2nd one or repeat it.

Think I just got bored with the repeativiness of Insanity after doing it on and off for over 2 years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,618 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Got back into doing Max:30 5/6 days a week for the last couple of months. I had only been doing Beach Body on and off as it was interfering with my soccer season but I'm fully focusing on Max 30 along with lifting weights at the gym. I did Max 30 before but never "full time" it's fecking nuts really, it makes most of the Beach Body worksout feels like a walk in the park but I'm flying fit due to it, was playing 5 a side last night and I had all the energy in the world.

I might try p-90x just to mix it up, problem with Max:30 is that a lot of alternative workouts feel like a step down due to how grueling it is or else are quite badly produced that they just feel cheap.

The links not working.

Maybe you have to be logged in/member to see more.

https://www.beachbody.com/product/fitness_programs/tai-cheng-workout.do

I seen a few comments on Amazon from people that said they struggled with particular moves in Insanity and after doing Tai cheng and going back to insanity they were surprised they could then do them?

It's a totally different workout from the others looking at it there....I'll give it a go at some stage though! Working my way through them all.
    siblers wrote: »
    Got back into doing Max:30 5/6 days a week for the last couple of months. I had only been doing Beach Body on and off as it was interfering with my soccer season but I'm fully focusing on Max 30 along with lifting weights at the gym. I did Max 30 before but never "full time" it's fecking nuts really, it makes most of the Beach Body worksout feels like a walk in the park but I'm flying fit due to it, was playing 5 a side last night and I had all the energy in the world.

I might try p-90x just to mix it up, problem with Max:30 is that a lot of alternative workouts feel like a step down due to how grueling it is or else are quite badly produced that they just feel cheap.
    CVX, The Challenge, Incinerator and Ecentric Lower from P90X3 are good ones to add into Insanity.

I've come across a few new (new to me anyway) beachbody vids in the last few days, if someones looking for some fresh stuff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 161 ✭✭OCEANIC FIZZY POP NINE

Any beachbody folk out there? I'm doing Max30 at the min, it's something else, I can do pretty much any vid on most of the workouts but theirs a couple on this now and Im calfing around the 20min mark, bloody tough!!

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭BlondeBomb

Is there any apps for any of these?

Don't have anything to play the DVDs really.

• Advertisement

BlondeBomb wrote:
    Don't have anything to play the DVDs really.

Torrents and your phone/tablet all the way.

Has anyone been doing this three days a week and do you think there would be value in this?

Also, is it hard to follow if.. you're watching it in a single digital file as opposed to multiple DVDs...

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭marcus001

RNC wrote: »
    ìt wasnt a 'sh*te' example it was an example just different from your own

No it was a ****e example. You can lose weight with no exercise. You can't lose weight with a bad diet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

marcus001 wrote: »
    No it was a ****e example. You can lose weight with no exercise. You can't lose weight with a bad diet.
    Your diet can be a bad as you like and once you expend more calories then you take in you will lose weight. You might not be in the best of health, but you CAN lose weight on a bad diet. It always comes down to calories in vs calories out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,675 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Your diet can be a bad as you like and once you expend more calories then you take in you will lose weight. You might not be in the best of health, but you CAN lose weight on a bad diet. It always comes down to calories in vs calories out.

RNC has probably worked it out in the 5 years since the quoted post.

Advertisement