Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Insanity Workout: Anyone try it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 305 ✭✭shannonman81

Started today...Didn't do the fitness test as I need Sundays to be my rest day due to playing soccer.
    Found it tough enough to start with. I am using it to lose a bit of extra weight and try and get some definition. I have been lifting weights for a while now and seeing changes but i needed to up my cardio and get fit.

Ill keep ye updated.
    I have taken a few before pics and if all goes will Ill post up before and after

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,006 ✭✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Does anybody take any recommended vitamins or shakes to go with this workout. I am cutting down on portion sizes for weight loss but finding i am feeling a bit weak in the night after a workout. If anybody recommends any vitamins or shakes that help with energy and helpful while also trying to lose weight.

I'm not taking anything .. Vitamins or shakes and I too feel very weak in the evenings, usually around the time I finish work, 6pm.
    I'm usually okay once I eat my evening meal around 6.30pm/7pm and relax for half an hour and then do my workout around 8ish.
    I've a limit of 1900 cals per day which I'm usually just under but I cannot do the whole 5 x 300 cal meals per day, just too tough .. I normally do 3 x 300 or 350 cal meals and 1 larger meal of 700-900 cals per day

I think most shakes of that nature are 200-400 cals and there's no way I'm giving up a square meal for some sort of obnoxious broccoli shake.

Day two:
    Woke up this morning and my back was really stiff...everywhere else wasn't too sore...My back was so bad that i thought maybe I couldn't do it...But the warm up really loosened me out.
    Was a tough one again today, I will say this though dont do it if your not willing to push yourself, it would be very easy to say you are "doing Insanity" but really you are spending half the time on your knees.
    You will sweat buckets so keep plenty of water near by and a towel

All in all I'm enjoying it so far but its very early yet.

Day Three:
    Was Cardio recovery. Seemed like a lot of Yoga and stretches. Not very taxing but muscles did burn doing some stretching. Pure cardio tomorrow so I'm assuming that will be tough

Day Three:
    Was Cardio recovery. Seemed like a lot of Yoga and stretches. Not very taxing but muscles did burn doing some stretching. Pure cardio tomorrow so I'm assuming that will be tough

Oh yeah!

2115039-chris_brown_oh_yeah_1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,618 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Really getting back into Insanity after a hellish few months with a sports injury. Today was my 5th day in a row doing it and it feels good. Coping pretty well with the Plymoetric and Cardio power workouts. Bloody v pushups I find impossible to do like they do on the workout, can't get my hands anywhere near as close to my feet as Shaunt T can, but I guess it comes with time.

Pure Cardio done today. Was tough alright. The amount I was sweating after just the warm up was ridiculous..I can imagine doing this on a wooden or laminate floor. Would be slipping all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

Pure Cardio done today. Was tough alright. The amount I was sweating after just the warm up was ridiculous..I can imagine doing this on a wooden or laminate floor. Would be slipping all over the place.

I've just finished week 2. Had Pure Cardio followed by Cardio Abs last night. I never knew it was possible for your abs to burn like that. Was really tough!

• Advertisement

There are some very easy exercises in the pure cardio that do give you a bit of a breather, having said that it's fairly damn intense though. Have it coming up soon. Curious as to how I will cope with it.

"remember to always keep your back leg straight....

... Josh"

:D

"remember to always keep your back leg straight....

... Josh"

Still going strong. Enjoying it too. Cardio Ab's coming up on Saturday so I'm looking forward to that!

Still going strong. Enjoying it too. Cardio Ab's coming up on Saturday so I'm looking forward to that!

Good man. Its the one workout I struggle to complete.… was never one for core workouts even when I was regular gym goer. Ask me to do a 100 pushups or squats ... grand but 30 crunches and I'll run for the hills.

Took Friday as a rest day as I wasnt feeling 100% and started week 5 yesterday - max interval pylo . Only managed 35min of it (full lenght is 55min in total)... not sure if it a whole lot tougher or the fact that I'm not quite feeling 100% ... one thing is for sure, my hip-flexers are sore today (never thought I'd be saying that :D)

Took Friday as a rest day as I wasnt feeling 100% and started week 5 yesterday - max interval pylo . Only managed 35min of it (full lenght is 55min in total)... not sure if it a whole lot tougher or the fact that I'm not quite feeling 100% ... one thing is for sure, my hip-flexers are sore today (never thought I'd be saying that :D)

I've heard it gets much harder alright. I did the pure cardio followed by the cardio abs Saturday....which was tough, the hardest part for me was keeping form during the C-sit but I'll get there.

On the hip flexers mine are sore today but I had a match this morning and as a goal keeper they take a lot of impact anyway, it is a complete new pain though!

• Advertisement

Did the max interval circuit earlier, one or two exercises are pretty tough but overall I was able to do all of it. Bloody long though.

Cardio recovery again today...If I'm honest I feel a bit guilty after cardio recovery! I want to be working hard and sweating and that and today feels like a cheat day or something....I know its all part of a program but I gave serious consideration to just doing one of the tougher workouts instead!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,675 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

If you drop the recovery sessions because they're not working you as hard as the other days, you'll probably end up having to sit out more than one day because you won't have allowed your body to recover.

If you drop the recovery sessions because they're not working you as hard as the other days, you'll probably end up having to sit out more than one day because you won't have allowed your body to recover.

Ya. That's what I told myself this morning alright. It is in there for a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭dowhatyoulove

Just started the insanity workouts. Had been doing HIIT classes before this so I thought I'd be able to muddle through! Day 3 of the workouts and I am feeling sore today!

I'm not following the meal plan as I already do Slimming world and I find it works for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Lads does anybody do much weight or use the exercise bike while doing this. I have got an exercise bike and thinking of even just getting a standard set of weights for starting out but i don't want to overwork myself and get injured.

Lads does anybody do much weight or use the exercise bike while doing this. I have got an exercise bike and thinking of even just getting a standard set of weights for starting out but i don't want to overwork myself and get injured.

I'm doing weights every second week. Not much but just enough to keep me ticking over...I weighted myself after laying off the weights for a week and I had lost 3 kilo's. I'm not lifting too heavy.

Into my fourth week of it now and really enjoying it and seeing a change in my body.
    I'm trying to ensure I have a calorie deficit every day(which wasn't stuck too over the bank holiday weekend)
    I dont think you'll need to do any exercise bike as you'll be getting quite a lot of cardio anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,854 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Just started it. Doing gym 3ish times a week and intend to do insanity on the in between days. So far so good. I had been in the gym for 3 months prior and still found the test really difficult.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

I'm doing weights every second week. Not much but just enough to keep me ticking over...I weighted myself after laying off the weights for a week and I had lost 3 kilo's. I'm not lifting too heavy.

Into my fourth week of it now and really enjoying it and seeing a change in my body.
    I'm trying to ensure I have a calorie deficit every day(which wasn't stuck too over the bank holiday weekend)
    I dont think you'll need to do any exercise bike as you'll be getting quite a lot of cardio anyway

Ye cheers i will probably just pick up some dumbells in Argos and get myself a programme for starting off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

silverharp wrote: »
    Just started it. Doing gym 3ish times a week and intend to do insanity on the in between days. So far so good. I had been in the gym for 3 months prior and still found the test really difficult.

This is what I plan on doing too. One question - if I struggle to finish the exercises in the first Insanity workout, should I repeat it until I can or should I just move on to the next workout?

SuprSi wrote: »
    This is what I plan on doing too. One question - if I struggle to finish the exercises in the first Insanity workout, should I repeat it until I can or should I just move on to the next workout?

I would move on. He tells you during it to take a break if you need it but to get back to it. So you will finish the workouts but you may have taken a break or three during it. Even the people doing the workout on the DVD take breaks when their form starts to suffer.

Did the max interval plyo today, was pretty gruelling. So many variations on push ups involved.

SuprSi wrote: »

move on, you do get more of it as you get on. I might cycle in an extra week or two before the 2nd "30 days". enjoying it so far and it does complement the gym work

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

On my recovery week this week...I think I'll throw in a couple of pure cardio's on top of the core cardio and balance in the week just to keep me going. Six days of the same thing is going to get monotonous

Does anybody use anything else with also doing insanity. I have moved back home and well i can't do insanity everyday now. So i want to do something on my off days. I have been offered a Reebok Z8 threadmill from a friend for a decent price because he is moving house. Is a threadmill much good for burning fat and keeping fit. I am just not into running outdoors but i am wondering if it worth paying €400 for a threadmill or if doing insanity 3 times a week and walking will bring similar results.

• Advertisement

Does anybody use anything else with also doing insanity. I have moved back home and well i can't do insanity everyday now. So i want to do something on my off days. I have been offered a Reebok Z8 threadmill from a friend for a decent price because he is moving house. Is a threadmill much good for burning fat and keeping fit. I am just not into running outdoors but i am wondering if it worth paying €400 for a threadmill or if doing insanity 3 times a week and walking will bring similar results.

its all good but given how Insanity works, a very different routine might be some weights? for a couple of hundred you could get most of the basic kit and might be more versatile then a threadmill.

Do u mind me asking why you cannot do the workout as much now that you have moved home... If its all the noise from jumping around, do bear in mind that treadmills are fairly noisy too and take up quite a bit of room.

In answer to your question, treadmills/running are pretty good for burning calories. Try getting into interval runs on the treadmill .. in line with insanity stuff... Sprints with small recovery periods. Running at an incline will help too.

a very funny day 36 review "Shaun T Has Lost His Mind."

silverharp wrote: »
    a very funny day 36 review "Shaun T Has Lost His Mind."

She aint wrong, month 2 is frigging crazy. The warm up alone is pretty nuts.

Day 36 is f'ing nuts ... such a step up from month one, especially after doing the recovery week. I don't mind admitting that it took me 3 attempts to complete Max Cardio Interval. 1st attempt I only made it through 21 or 22 mins, 2nd attempt I didn't even get that far and I stumbled through it at the 3rd attempt.

Day 36 is f'ing nuts ... such a step up from month one, especially after doing the recovery week. I don't mind admitting that it took me 3 attempts to complete Max Cardio Interval. 1st attempt I only made it through 21 or 22 mins, 2nd attempt I didn't even get that far and I stumbled through it at the 3rd attempt.

I start today...recovery week bored me so i threw in some cardio circuit and pure cardio...had to stay back in work yesterday so I'm a day behind. Looking forward to pushing on now but I'm nearly dreading it with the comments about how hard it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

Im thinking about starting this. I have it at home and Im thinking it can only help me with me Karate training. Seems to be alot of powerful and explosive movements in it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Its fun isn't it :D

The next levels are such a jump it will take people a good while to get used to the extra time mainly, the 1st month are short and tough, the 2nd month is tough even if it was short, but the sessions are circa 1hr so its a killer.

I actually find the first month's sessions really easy now. When you get used to month 2 being an extra 15 or so minutes, month one seems like such a step down in terms of difficulty.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

siblers wrote: »
    I actually find the first month's sessions really easy now. When you get used to month 2 being an extra 15 or so minutes, month one seems like such a step down in terms of difficulty.

Thats when you do double back to back month one sessions ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

On my recovery week this week...I think I'll throw in a couple of pure cardio's on top of the core cardio and balance in the week just to keep me going. Six days of the same thing is going to get monotonous

I was ticking along nicely until 4 days into the recovery week developed severe pain in the neck and shoulders, have now missed 4 days but will pick it back up with a couple of pure cardios again before I tackle month 2. Good luck all

Well I did the first day of the Max stuff yesterday...whoever invented suicide jumps should be hung drawn and quartered. I got through it but the was one or two times was on my knees literally.
    It's a great feeling to complete it and I'm looking forward to the rest. As mentioned missed a day due to work so I think I'll leave out the recovery day this week and push on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭kaiserrussel

Hi all,

interesting to read through these posts. Are you guys combining this with any other form of sport or running etc? even in a hybrid fashion

I had tried to combine this with GAA training last winter and I found it very tough as unless I did a morning session before GAA training I was missing days and I think that is not what your meant to do.

I would love to be able to combine both in some way

Hi all,

interesting to read through these posts. Are you guys combining this with any other form of sport or running etc? even in a hybrid fashion

I had tried to combine this with GAA training last winter and I found it very tough as unless I did a morning session before GAA training I was missing days and I think that is not what your meant to do.

I normally soccer train but have spoke to my manager and told him about the program.
    I do a bit of weight training and I still play soccer matches(I'm a goalkeeper though so its not too strenuous)

The bottom line is its a commitment and it kinda pushes other stuff to the back...
    But its worth it when you see the increase in fitness and in body-shape, on a side note I have noticed improvements in my agility since i started too which is great for the soccer!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 peter65

I being meaning to put this post on about my training with insanity. I had being combining the workout with a 25 min weights session. I found it brilliant for getting fully warmed up before the DVD workout started. In the gym I was doing two sets of each exercise. the first set was a light weight for a little warm up and then the second was full weight but going to complete failure. I was really impressed with the difference it made. I was half way through month 2 and got badly wrecked at work. Cant do the insanity workout anymore. I really miss the discipline it forced me to develop to complete each day. Any know someone looking for a DVD set?

• Advertisement

yop wrote: »
    Thats when you do double back to back month one sessions ;)

I could do two in one day but feck doing them back to back!

Hi all,

I was combining it with soccer and weight sessions at the gym. I could do Insanity and the gym on the same day but obviously not with soccer, I would do insanity 3/4 times a week and then I had soccer 2/3 times a week. Obviously after a tough match I'd have to give Insanity a miss as i'd be stiff etc. I did Insanity for around 3 weeks pre-season where I was playing only soccer once a week and I was one of the fittest lads on the team after it. It's worth doing if even just 2/3 times a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭benny79

peter65 wrote: »
    I being meaning to put this post on about my training with insanity. I had being combining the workout with a 25 min weights session. I found it brilliant for getting fully warmed up before the DVD workout started. In the gym I was doing two sets of each exercise. the first set was a light weight for a little warm up and then the second was full weight but going to complete failure. I was really impressed with the difference it made. I was half way through month 2 and got badly wrecked at work. Cant do the insanity workout anymore. I really miss the discipline it forced me to develop to complete each day. Any know someone looking for a DVD set?

hi Peter I'd be interested if you dont want it any more PM the details!

Bad week last week. I was working late on Monday so started the program a day late. I did Tuesday and Wednesday and then had a match on Thursday so I was now two days down, I did another session Saturday but I have decided to start the week again
    So I'm now on week six(really week seven) doing the "Max" stuff
    Lesson learned I suppose and at least I haven't fooled myself into believing last week was a full week.
    Really going to hit my diet hard over the next four weeks and see what sort of results I can get.

So I'm nearly finished my first Max week.

I think the first month was like a mild mental illness that could have been treated with some strong drugs...
    Whereas month two is actually Insanity.
    Still loving it though. I have given Shaun T the finger a few times but he just ignores it! ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement