Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Insanity Workout: Anyone try it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

So I'm nearly finished my first Max week.

I think the first month was like a mild mental illness that could have been treated with some strong drugs...
    Whereas month two is actually Insanity.
    Still loving it though. I have given Shaun T the finger a few times but he just ignores it! ;)

What kind of results have you seen ?

I started today did the fit test :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

So I'm nearly finished my first Max week.

I think the first month was like a mild mental illness that could have been treated with some strong drugs...
    Whereas month two is actually Insanity.
    Still loving it though. I have given Shaun T the finger a few times but he just ignores it! ;)
    Finding month 2 slight easier, max interval circuit is definitley a lot easier compared to first few times I did it. Max pylo is still a killer though, did it on Sunday with a hangover and It was a shambles.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭shannonman81

kilburn wrote: »
    What kind of results have you seen ?

I started today did the fit test :eek:

Body has tightened up and for sure looks better. Clothes are looser now. My chest has always been the thing I was worried about. I have never had a gut or anything but my chest is getting better...slowly! ..but I have seen that more noticeably since i improved my diet. I'm making sure i have a calorie deficit. I do feel fitter though...way fitter.

I'm going to up my weight training a bit this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 240 ✭✭kaiserrussel

siblers wrote: »
    I was combining it with soccer and weight sessions at the gym. I could do Insanity and the gym on the same day but obviously not with soccer, I would do insanity 3/4 times a week and then I had soccer 2/3 times a week. Obviously after a tough match I'd have to give Insanity a miss as i'd be stiff etc. I did Insanity for around 3 weeks pre-season where I was playing only soccer once a week and I was one of the fittest lads on the team after it. It's worth doing if even just 2/3 times a week.

So i guess this is kinda interesting me, I think I might try it, generally I am training on tues and thurs with a game at the weekend. I think ill start on Monday and skip the session on days I am training or playing a match, I would like to lose a few extra lbs - ideally maybe a stone. Before any one says it yes I do get diet is more important than exercise to lose weight

Max Plyo again today, it's insanse. The first set of exercises after the warm up is brutal, squat push ups are an absolute bastard on my legs.
    So i guess this is kinda interesting me, I think I might try it, generally I am training on tues and thurs with a game at the weekend. I think ill start on Monday and skip the session on days I am training or playing a match, I would like to lose a few extra lbs - ideally maybe a stone. Before any one says it yes I do get diet is more important than exercise to lose weight

Pretty much what I did myself. If you're fairly fit, then you shouldn't be stiff and full of aches after an Insanity session so you should be able to fit it in between your training.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭bennyineire

I started this on Monday, body was a bit sore Tuesday and Wed, feeling much better today (Thursday) tomorrow will be my first attempt at Pure Cardio :(.
    I'd like to lose a stone over the 60 days, about half a stone over weight and have a little muscle packed on so I'm hoping to see some nice definition by the end of it

Since i've started on the 2nd month, really noticed that my stomach feels a lot tighter. It's pretty awesome how all the hard work is starting to come together. Never been one who has lacked motivation for Insanity but when you physically start to feel the difference, it makes it much easier to do the work.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Since i've started on the 2nd month, really noticed that my stomach feels a lot tighter. It's pretty awesome how all the hard work is starting to come together. Never been one who has lacked motivation for Insanity but when you physically start to feel the difference, it makes it much easier to do the work.

Great to hear, Miss it like hell and agree that after the 4 or 5 weeks your arms and chest really do show improvement. What I would advice is that mix it with something else as boredom will set in eventually and u don't want that to happen.
    I have seen a few places advertise exercise classes using insanity, it would be interesting to do it with others to see the level.

yop wrote: »
    Great to hear, Miss it like hell and agree that after the 4 or 5 weeks your arms and chest really do show improvement. What I would advice is that mix it with something else as boredom will set in eventually and u don't want that to happen.
    I have seen a few places advertise exercise classes using insanity, it would be interesting to do it with others to see the level.
    I might try some of his other dvds or the asylum one but Insanity seems to be one that gives the best results so i'm not sure I want to give it up. Will definitley get bored of it down the line though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Are you seeing improvements in definition or size of your arms/chest, or both? I'm repeating week 2 as (thanks to the bank holiday) I didn't finish it properly, so have quite a way to go, but I'm really enjoying the challenge of it. I find the switch kicks, ski abs and those hold movements during cardio recovery absolutely impossible but can see improvements each week.

• Advertisement

SuprSi wrote: »
    Are you seeing improvements in definition or size of your arms/chest, or both? I'm repeating week 2 as (thanks to the bank holiday) I didn't finish it properly, so have quite a way to go, but I'm really enjoying the challenge of it. I find the switch kicks, ski abs and those hold movements during cardio recovery absolutely impossible but can see improvements each week.
    I do weight training too so I'm not sure how much the improvements I see are down to Insanity. The main benefits I see from Isanity is around my stomach area, I would imagine there would be significant improvement with your chest too, not sure on arms though, I guess the more bodyfat you lose, the more definition you see but I don't think Insanity will make you build much muscle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

Started it this evening at home. First fit test. Christ I thought I was fit! Cant wait for the rest of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,943 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

How's everyone getting on ... its gone v quiet recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭dave13

Started it two weeks ago, took about 12 days to get through the first week due to work etc., but now getting into the daily routine.
    Legs are pretty tired most days though, any suggestions?playing tag during the week and it's hard when your legs feel wrecked

• Registered Users Posts: 46 ConCoBar

Try taking a supplement. I use myprotein.ie who are the best. The Macro Meal and their protein. I take the Macro Meal at 11am and protein after a tough workout.

I'm in my recovery week. Did two of the Max Sports sessions, which are tough but not as bad as some of the earlier stuff. Getting into the 4 weeks of Max next week, which I'm a little scared about!

One question - I still can't finish some of the exercises from the first 4 weeks, like at the end of the Pure Cardio. Should I repeat these until I can or just move on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Is the Insanity workout worth doing if you want to get definition after a bulking period? I have been bulking since the beginning of the year and have another 5 weeks to go. Have built up a fair amount of muscle but definately have some fat as well (I am now 88KG at 5ft10 inches)

Want to start doing a workout from next month which will reduce body fat and give definition to the muscles I have built up.

Not being doing it as much as I've been playing a fair bit of soccer recently. Still doing it 3 or 4 times a week but my legs are knackered a lot of the time so not really following a routine.

gazzer wrote: »
    Is the Insanity workout worth doing if you want to get definition after a bulking period? I have been bulking since the beginning of the year and have another 5 weeks to go. Have built up a fair amount of muscle but definately have some fat as well (I am now 88KG at 5ft10 inches)

Want to start doing a workout from next month which will reduce body fat and give definition to the muscles I have built up.

Yeah, losing body fat will give definition and Insanity is a brilliant way to lose body fat and gain definition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭shannonman81

dave13 wrote: »
    Started it two weeks ago, took about 12 days to get through the first week due to work etc., but now getting into the daily routine.
    Legs are pretty tired most days though, any suggestions?playing tag during the week and it's hard when your legs feel wrecked

This is why i knocked it ion the head. I t was interfering with the soccer and i was playing two maybe three games a week.
    Started lifting heavier now and eating much healthier and have been seeing the benefits more this way than through insanity...

I was fooling myself into thinking Well i'm doing insanity and burning off loads of calories so i can eat what i like whereas I'm much better now that i have started keeping my calories down and my protein up

I will go back to it before preseason but I'll do it with my weight training

I'm in my recovery week. Did two of the Max Sports sessions, which are tough but not as bad as some of the earlier stuff. Getting into the 4 weeks of Max next week, which I'm a little scared about!

One question - I still can't finish some of the exercises from the first 4 weeks, like at the end of the Pure Cardio. Should I repeat these until I can or just move on?

Move on i'd say. Those guys in the vid's cant complete all the exercises either and they are fitness professionals.

If I were to wait until i could complete every exercise rep for rep on par with Shaun T then I'd still be on Circuit Plyo :D

Not being doing it as much as I've been playing a fair bit of soccer recently. Still doing it 3 or 4 times a week but my legs are knackered a lot of the time so not really following a routine.

all this talk about sore and tired legs (from other people doing it too) as me wondering if I'm not trying as hard as I should be. Im knackered after each workout but I dont have sore legs later in the day or the next day ?!?!?

I find the switch kicks, ski abs and those hold movements during cardio recovery absolutely impossible but can see improvements each week.

I'd say I've done cardio Plyo 12 times now and I've only started to get the hang of ski Abs now. I can get about 15 in a row now which is an improvement of about 13 since my first attempt :D

Switch kicks ares till a b**tard. Earlier today I did 20, stopped for 5 seconds, did 15, stopped for 5 seconds and then did 10. Absolutely killer but then again I've avoided all core/ab exercises all my life until now.

That's good to hear! I moved on anyway, did the first of week 5's rounds today and it was tough! I think the extra length was the killer really. Let's see how tomorrow goes!

My legs are never particularly sore after the workouts either - I'm knackered overall but not in one particular area.

all this talk about sore and tired legs (from other people doing it too) as me wondering if I'm not trying as hard as I should be. Im knackered after each workout but I dont have sore legs later in the day or the next day ?!?!?

My legs being tired is more from soccer than Insanity. I wouldn't really be stiff after Insanity, like I could do Insanity in the morning and play soccer in the night time without too much hassle but not the other way round

• Advertisement

Thanks. Good to know I'm not slacking off so.

The biggest difference I've noticed in my legs is Shawn T's favourite muscle - the hip flexer! ! I never even knew I has them until a few months ago!

I have to admit that I'm feeling it after 3 days of Max, much more so than in the first 4 weeks. My legs are actually tired, my glutes and quads in particular. Did the Max Cardio this morning and it was bloody tough!

The difference in day 36 onwards compared to the first 30 is pretty stark alright. Especially after doing the core cardio recovery week.

Even the the warm up session before the stretches is an eye-opener unless you've watched ahead and know whats coming up!

I only ever got as far as day 40 before I had to stop for 5-6 weeks but I'm really looking forward to getting to it again as that when the most gains and body changes are suppose to be visible.

Ah the second month stuff is a killer, big difference between a 40 minute workout and a 60 minute workout but it's doing those workouts that you're body will start to change.

frabz-60-seconds-of-Power-Jumps--Ill-only-make-three-887498.jpg

• Advertisement

db54b616115a529dddcfdf7bb2c2099c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭koppy

any one suffer with their feet doing this..hurt my plantar facititis last year when i started this. took 4 months to heal.

thinking of starting again. what type of runners would people advise. old cheap ones last time which i think were to blame..

koppy wrote: »
    any one suffer with their feet doing this..hurt my plantar facititis last year when i started this. took 4 months to heal.

thinking of starting again. what type of runners would people advise. old cheap ones last time which i think were to blame..

Actually I was thinking about this yesterday, my feet were killing during the first few workouts but then no problems for a few weeks but yesterday and today I found my toes kind of seizing up. I think it happens if you are not hydrated enough.

... I just were normal asics trainers... The type you'd wear jogging and the like.

Edit - actually I think during the first few workouts I was very conscious of the noise I was making as jumped around the kitchen after I had put the little one to bed etc ... and as a result I wasn't landing as naturally as I should have been... hence the sore feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭weekaizer

I've just finished the first week of insanity max interval and my god the 2nd month makes the first month seem like a walk in the park in comparison!.
    Have to say my core has never felt so strong, still no six pack yet but my abs feel hard as nails !!
    I have been doing my best to keep to the regime but between work and football training I've missed a few days but still very impressed with the results!.

weekaizer wrote: »
    Have to say my core has never felt so strong, still no six pack yet but my abs feel hard as !.

Haha. Sounds awful. Damn these rock hard abs !

• Registered Users Posts: 1 seanmcsean

So after giving myself every excuse I can possibly think of... not enough time to do it, loads of time so I'll plan it later, have to go out this weekend, knees are bad, moving house in a couple weeks, going on holidays too soon... I can't put it off any longer... I start... tomorrow :)
    That's not an excuse, I actually do start tomorrow.
    I will keep this updated with the results, intend to log them and do an honest review of progress and commitment, even if it shames me... altho I am hoping that having to put it on here will motivate me more than anything else.

My current fitness levels... hmmmm... well they don't exist really!
    I played sport... all kinds and many different levels up to when I was 38, that was nearly 5 years ago now. I'm 6'2", just came in at a whopping 19 stone, not since my rugby days have I been up there! Usually I hover from 17 1/2 to 18 stone, but I have done nothing in the last 6 months but eat & drink! I'm starting from a pretty stationary start, I pop occasionally to the gym, running only now... can do 3-4k handy enough in 23/30 minutes but then I get bored :) I don't think I could go much further anyway to be fair. I guess any semblance of a physique is left over from my sporting days, been living on that for a bit but well both age and a lack of activity is really starting to show. My job is sedentary too so no activity there.

I'm not 100% yet on the diet side of this regime... my intention is to go more high protein and avoid too many carbs without making it too complicated. I do a bit of travel for work too, but I'm always near a gym so will do that on my days that I can't do the routine.

The goal will be to eventually lose that 2 stone, back down to 17 which would be my lowest in the last 5 years, was always a big guy even when training hard.

Ok... well fingers crossed for me.. will post again in 1 week on progress and how many times I vomited/passed out/curled up in a ball :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Dixie Chick

God luck with insanity. Ive done two round of it (its been a few years now) but the results are there to be had. Don't do yourself the disservice of not fuelling up well for it, or eating crappy foods. Its a 6 day a week programme, your body will be flaked the first 4/5 days, calves like rocks but its well worth it.

Good luck Sean.

I will be following you with interest.. I play a bit of rugby myself and I'm coming towards the end of my playing days.. maybe 2 seasons left in me.

Anyway. Ease you self into it and make sure you get comfortable with the warm up routines and stretches. There's a lot of jumping and leaping about that is heavy on some joints and muscles and a man your size will need to be careful but your rugby background will be useful in relation to some of the drills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

I'm hoping to try this soon so I tried out the first video. Now I did go for a run that morning so that's sort of my excuse but bloody hell...I mean, I would've thought I'm reasonably fit but this was tough, even the warm up was hard to finish. Then the stretching after the warm up was tough!

I can't imagine someone going from little or no exercise to doing this program. Anyway I look forward to giving it a go soon...

.. wait until you do day #36 for the first time.:D

• Advertisement

ha i cant imagine. I think part of the problem was I tried to keep up with him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Tried insanity twice in the last 3 years. Both times got quite bored with it very quickly after about 7 weeks.

Most recently bought a MOSS suspension trainer installed it in spare room, installed TV on the wall. That was 5 weeks ago and if im honest. I prefer the MOSS, I find im getting far better results, Im far less bored, Its not as harsh on the joints as insanity. And coupled with diet change i have succeeded in bettering any previous results. Both in weightloss and strength and stamina.

Insanity doesnt work for all i suppose. But certainly has merits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Dixie Chick

Insanity is very hard on the joints actually.

.. one thing I'm not liking about the 2nd month/max session is the combat/punching element of the exercises... feels very boxercisey (?) ... maybe i'm just conscious because Im doing the workouts in the gym and people are probably looking "at that weirdo over there throwing right hooks while he's power squatting" :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Hygro

Just do T25 and if can finish that, then jump over to insanity.

.. one thing I'm not liking about the 2nd month/max session is the combat/punching element of the exercises... feels very boxercisey (?) ... maybe i'm just conscious because Im doing the workouts in the gym and people are probably looking "at that weirdo over there throwing right hooks while he's power squatting" :D:D

Haha yeah I know what you mean. I'm doing it at home but did a few weeks in the gym and tried to find as secluded a spot as possible. I'm ok with most of the boxing moves except that one where you have to punch downwards - I don't like it as an exercise and that's nothing to do with the fact that I can't seem to get my coordination right at all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 240 ✭✭kaiserrussel

What are you using it on in the gym? laptop?

Yeah. That downward punch thing... The way they move their leg in - out as they punch, what the hell is that about, I can't do the leg bit so I gave up and just do the punching. Have to say it's kind of a odd drill ... can see the benefit of it compared to other exercises.

What are you using it on in the gym? laptop?

Was using my Nexus tablet until it took a fall, now I have most of the workouts on my phone (galaxy s4).

• Advertisement

do you just listen to it or have you it propped up somewhere in the gym for you to watch? id much prefer to do it in the gym then at home, could fall into the swimming pool after

Advertisement