Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Insanity Workout: Anyone try it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Dixie Chick

Love pure cardio as well. In month 2 the "rest" dvd is really good as well. Its about 40 mins , really deep pushups, all slowly done, total killer!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭niceoneted

Breakfast is usually fruit grenola 30g and yogurt or some type of egg, scrambled piached or boiled with one slice whole grain toast with mushrooms and tomato if I have them.
    Lunches could be anything, salad sandwich and fruit, I could have some ray it's with salad, pasta/ salad.
    Dinners usually with fish, turkey or chicken, with lots veg and could be rice pasta or baby potatoes. I might do stir fry one day. Indian the next - using spices.
    Fruit during day. I work shift so some days the timing of everything can be bad.
    Other half tells me I'm doing great and they see an improvement in fitness, my ability to do the stuff esp the push-ups etc.
    I'll keep persisting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭allybhoy

niceoneted wrote: »
    Breakfast is usually fruit grenola 30g and yogurt or some type of egg, scrambled piached or boiled with one slice whole grain toast with mushrooms and tomato if I have them.
    Lunches could be anything, salad sandwich and fruit, I could have some ray it's with salad, pasta/ salad.
    Dinners usually with fish, turkey or chicken, with lots veg and could be rice pasta or baby potatoes. I might do stir fry one day. Indian the next - using spices.
    Fruit during day. I work shift so some days the timing of everything can be bad.
    Other half tells me I'm doing great and they see an improvement in fitness, my ability to do the stuff esp the push-ups etc.
    I'll keep persisting.

Well im not a nutritional expert but that sounds like a really good diet, its better than mine anyways and im seeing results. Are you keeping that up 7 days a week? Or are you grand mon-fri but then the weekend going on the beer and junk food? I went through a phase of that, i was very good mon-friday then going out for a heap of beer saturday and the odd takeaway, fooling myself that i was allowed to etc. Calories are calories, doesnt matter when you consume them, Keep at it anyay, both the exercise and the diet and you will definitely see results. Few tips from my side that ive heard use, you probably know them anyway.

Try eat something the second you wake up, be it a banana or an apple etc etc, ive been told it helps your metabolism, i would have been notorious for not eating anything before 12pm or lunchtime, then having a huge lunch, so ive started doing that now, smaller portions more often etc.

Drink a pint of water or more if you can 20-30 minutes before your dinner. Apparently it makes you want to eat less food when your eating.

Try get to bed as early as you can and get a good nights sleep as your muscles repair themselves when you are asleep or something.

Anyways, my own update. Had a match lastnight, didnt get home till half9 and was really tired so skipped last nights video. Its the first one ive missed and i felt a bit guilty but there was no way i would have been able to do it especially as i had to be up at half 6 to go the gym this morning.

I'm not drinking at all. We don't do take aways. I'm a believer that breakfast is most important meal in day but have to get workout done on empty stomach. It's a problem I have. I've done few marathons and it took me a long time and a lot mod experimenting to find something that would sit in my stomach for my long runs. I'm drinking at least 3 litres of water a day maybe more. I have heard that one about pint before dinner. Keep forgetting it. I'm working on smaller portions as I think that's my downfall.
    I work shift so have some very late nights and also do some weekends.
    I did cardio recovery today. Felt good doing it.

I'm not drinking at all. We don't do take aways. I'm a believer that breakfast is most important meal in day but have to get workout done on empty stomach. It's a problem I have. I've done few marathons and it took me a long time and a lot mod experimenting to find something that would sit in my stomach for my long runs. I'm drinking at least 3 litres of water a day maybe more. I have heard that one about pint before dinner. Keep forgetting it. I'm working on smaller portions as I think that's my downfall.
    I work shift so have some very late nights and also do some weekends.
    I did cardio recovery today. Felt good doing it.

Good stuff, well sounds like you are definitely on the right path so, good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 ConCoBar

I didn't see major results with my first run of Insanity. Yes I was much fitter and could complete the workouts no problem but I changed two things. I cut out bread and potatoes completely and on Monday, Wednesday and Friday did P90X instead and Tuesday, Thursday and Sat I did Insanity. Within 2-3 weeks my shape changed completely.

In saying that, your body isn't going to change much if at all within a few weeks so don't give up. When it does start to change it changes rapidly. Well, I find that anyway. And for this there are a number of reasons too such as seeing results changes your outlook and you end up putting more into your diet and workouts.

My breakfast is 4 scrambled egg (2 yokes), no toast, small porridge with some ground flaxseed.

Lunch is homemade lasagne with wholewheat sheets and side salad (a little honey and mustard dressing).

Dinner is usually chicken, fish, beef (not too often) with vegetables either roasted, steamed or boiled.

Snacks consist of bananas, smoothies, apples, protein shakes.

I'll eat like a pig once a week. I used to eat burritos but cut out the rice when I hadn't football, then cut out the wraps and had a burrito bowl. I never count calories but I did the math the wraps have 112 cals each, the rice was about 150 which meant I was consuming near 375 calories of foods I didn't really need. Some went for potatoes. I cut them out and replaced it with more vegetables. Now I'm in the shape I want I do eat potatoes and a little bread but not much. I was told by a doctor that bread is a waste of a food and the calories could be put to much better use. I used to have scrambled eggs on two slices of toast but not I have the eggs then have the porridge. The porridge is a better food, longer lasting energy and get more from it. The bread is crap. Get rid of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 ConCoBar

Trying to upload before and after photos but can't. Anyone know how or do I need them hosted?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

You can use Imgur.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,943 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

For goodness sake, don't mention bread again in this thread or them out there (in the rest of the sub-forum) will be all over our insanity thread :D

• Advertisement

Conorooney, thanks so much for that.. As the weeks go on my diet is getting better and the bread is getting less and less. I'm determined to finish out the 9 weeks. I might look at mixing it up with other cardio or the other 25 min workout you can get.

Don't want this thread to descend into a white bread, brown bread, no bread farce but I agree with the above comments. I only gave up bread, the spuds, pasta, rice and breakfast cereals for a few weeks but it made a huge difference. More of a difference then giving up chocolate or booze, that's for sure.

I eat rice a bit now and the odd potato and probably more bread than I should but the pasta is long gone and porridge is the only cereal on the menu these days

I eat potatoes a fair bit but don't touch bread or pasta. Only brekfeast cereal i'd have is porridge. Need to cut back on the potatoes and replace them with vegetables.

As for Insanity, still doing it 4-5 times a week but energy levels are pretty low at the moment, find myself having to take a few extra breathers, still complete everything but not at the same intensity as previously. Might need a break for a few days from it.

Went back to basics and started insanity again, back at weeks 1.

5 days in and I've lost 2.5kg of post holiday baggage. So back down to 90KG. Hoping to get down to 85kg this time by the end of it.

Gotta juggle rugby training twice a week but reckon I can still do 4 of 6 weekly workouts and the recovery workout is the one I will skip

My body is in it bits at the moment, between soccer, gym and insanity i'm pretty stiff and tired. Going away for the weekend so by Tuesday i'm hoping i'll feel refreshed.

Hi All, havent updated this thread in a while, unfortunately had a bereavement close to me which knocked me for six and Insanity was the last thing on my mind to be honest, now the dust has relatively settled im going to knuckle down and try get back in to it. Ive been eating and drinking terrible lately due to the above and feel very sluggish and chubby but thats all over with now and im ready to get back on track. Ive also convinced the missus to give it a go this time around as she has been the same the last few weeks so the two of us are going to give it a go now

• Advertisement

Sorry to hear of your loss Allybhoy. Nothing like insanity to get you back on track. I managed to make it to week 6 so had my recovery week last week. It went well. I found this morning tough and I am tired but sticking with it.

Sorry to hear that Allybhoy. T'was awfully quiet in here the last week or two.

Don't be surprised if you find first few nights back tougher than you remember. The main thing is to get a couple of workouts under your belt even if it takes longer than normal or with more rest periods.

Having a partner will help too. It shouldn't feel as repeatative as before hopefully. Let us know how u get on.

Cheers guys.

Done it last night, and 2ndrow was right, i found it much tougher than before, Herself done it with me after she done her bootcamp and she is sore this morning but she actually really enjoyed it and was well able for most of it. She does bootcamp Mon-Weds 6-7 so it might be a bit much for her on those days but she said she is going to try keep going. Was pretty funny actually our 3 year old came running in whilst we were in the middle of it screaming crying at 11pm because she didnt know what all the banging and jumping around was when she woke up, when she realised we were only exercising she wanted to join in but she was quickly tucked back up in bed..much to her annoyance!

Lots of push up stuff and side push ups in today's workout. I'm not very good at them at all. I never sweated as much in my lift even doing a marathon! Floor was soaking. I'm wrecked now and stretched out on the couch!

allybhoy wrote: »
    Cheers guys.

Was pretty funny actually our 3 year old came running in whilst we were in the middle of it screaming crying at 11pm because she didnt know what all the banging and jumping around was when she woke up, when she realised we were only exercising she wanted to join in but she was quickly tucked back up in bed..much to her annoyance!

Ha. I can totally relate to that. My 4 year old loves joining in too. I even got her her own yoga mat. She joins in on the jumping jacks and other jumps.... For about 3 mins, then she gets board and goes back to colouring.

• Advertisement

Lots of push up stuff and side push ups in today's workout. I'm not very good at them at all. I never sweated as much in my lift even doing a marathon! Floor was soaking. I'm wrecked now and stretched out on the couch!

Are you on the max interval workouts now... what week are you on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 flagnoflag

I think anything called 'insanity workout' should be avoided at all costs. The other folks on here are right about nutrition- it is key, it is about 80 percent with exercise and sleep and stress the others. Please look up pat divilly's 21 day jumpstart, it's amazing. book is 15 euro in easons, He is also online. on facebook i THINK. I am in no way connected just myself husband and 2 sisters have all done the programme and I mean wow results for the first time in our lives. Without any insanity. good luck

Yeah 2nd row on the max weeks. The first of those 4 weeks. Just two days in.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭A Greedy Algorithm

I started this yesterday. I train alot and enjoy mixing things up so i decided to give this a try.

Today was the first proper workout after the fit test. God damn its tough. I've never sweated so much in my life - although this might be the current heat that's in it and doing a workout in a small room.

I do a lot of HIIT training as it is and run, cycle and play a few sports so my general fitness isn't bad, but this is a real different type of workout. I'm trying to see if i can just do this every morning and still fit in soccer etc a few evening a week - i don't want to over train or burn myself out.

I'm really looking forward to the rest of the program - if i stick it!

flagnoflag wrote: »
    I think anything called 'insanity workout' should be avoided at all costs. The other folks on here are right about nutrition- it is key, it is about 80 percent with exercise and sleep and stress the others. Please look up pat divilly's 21 day jumpstart, it's amazing. book is 15 euro in easons, He is also online. on facebook i THINK. I am in no way connected just myself husband and 2 sisters have all done the programme and I mean wow results for the first time in our lives. Without any insanity. good luck

Insanity has made me really fit, i've also lost considerable body fat and have toned up a fair bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

21 day jumpstart is not going to have me any fitter on a football pitch unfortunately

I know 2 or 3 people who did the Pat Divilly stuff and they speak very highly of it and they got great results. The one thing that struck me though is that none of them are following it 6, 9 or 12 months later but maybe thats just the few people I happen to know.

Any, "weight loss is 80% diet/nutrition" is no major epiphany. Anyone with even basic knowledge of heath, fitness and exercise knows unless you have a calorie deficit diet then your not going to loose any weight no matter how much insanity or other exercise you do.

I can't speak for everyone but I think most of us are into insanity for the cardio effects and the overall improvements to our body shape, weight loss is secondary .. well for me it is.

I started this yesterday. I train alot and enjoy mixing things up so i decided to give this a try.

Today was the first proper workout after the fit test. God damn its tough. I've never sweated so much in my life - although this might be the current heat that's in it and doing a workout in a small room.

I do a lot of HIIT training as it is and run, cycle and play a few sports so my general fitness isn't bad, but this is a real different type of workout. I'm trying to see if i can just do this every morning and still fit in soccer etc a few evening a week - i don't want to over train or burn myself out.

I'm really looking forward to the rest of the program - if i stick it!

You should be fine if you have a big gap (8 hours plus) between morning workouts and football in the evenings. Depends on how much the football takes out of you too. Just make sure you do absolutely nothing on rest days.

I know 2 or 3 people who did the Pat Divilly stuff and they speak very highly of it and they got great results. The one thing that struck me though is that none of them are following it 6, 9 or 12 months later but maybe thats just the few people I happen to know.

Any, "weight loss is 80% diet/nutrition" is no major epiphany. Anyone with even basic knowledge of heath, fitness and exercise knows unless you have a calorie deficit diet then your not going to loose any weight no matter how much insanity or other exercise you do.

I can't speak for everyone but I think most of us are into insanity for the cardio effects and the overall improvements to our body shape, weight loss is secondary .. well for me it is.

Exactly, Diet first, exercise second, if you dont get the first one right then no point in doing the second, your wasting your time. Diet changes should be lifestyle changes as opposed to crash diets like paleo etc etc as you will put it straight back on once you come off your diet, I know, ive been that soldier.. Now im trying to slowly loose the fat and to this end Insanity is helping.

Anyhoo, done the dvd again last night, herself chickened out as she was wrecked after her bootcamp, my calves are like granite today and ive to play football later, I already know tonights video will be a serious struggle

Another update.

Been going through the videos every day, havent missed one now since i started back and have been going the gym every second day aswell, however im shattered today and have football after work so i know tonight will be a killer. Herself has been doing a good few aswell with me and its much easier when there is somebody doing them with you. Im also finding the 3 main videos a little bit repetitive if im honest, Pure Cardio, P&R and Plyometrics. Im beginning to regret going back two weeks so herself could start with me but ill stick with it. Im also noticing a slight change in bodyshape, definitely toning up around the midrift and legs which is spurring me on.

Also, funny update about my little one coming in. She goes to her Nanny's every day, the day after the incident above, her Nanna asked her why she was so tired and did she sleep well. She turns around and tells her "No, My mammy and daddy woke me up late last night, I heard a lot of banging and noise and was frightened"
    Nanna:- "Why, what was happenning?"
    - "they said they were doing their excercises and sent me back to bed"

Needless to say I got an earful when i collected her that night and had to do a lot of explaining!

• Advertisement

Do you really need to be doing Insanity the same day as you're doing football? Missing one day like that isn't going to halt your progress. In fact you'll probably benefit from the break. Doing 6 days straight of insanity is designed that it's the only type of exercise you are doing. There's no way you should be doing 6 days a week of insanity while playing football too

siblers wrote: »
    Do you really need to be doing Insanity the same day as you're doing football? Missing one day like that isn't going to halt your progress. In fact you'll probably benefit from the break. Doing 6 days straight of insanity is designed that it's the only type of exercise you are doing. There's no way you should be doing 6 days a week of insanity while playing football too

Yeh i couldnt physically do it last night when i got in, I was shattered. Going to do last nights video tonight isntead and take yesterday as my rest day.

After 44 days I'm taking a break from it. I'm so frustrated with it. Been tracking my calories and all ok there. Used my fitness pal. Really handy that scanning stuff too. I'm going to start back running for August and then start back at insanity in sept.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭A Greedy Algorithm

Started this 2 weeks ago. I play sports and also hit the gym and cycle so i am trying to fit in maybe 4 sessions a week if possible.

I love it. I sweat more than i ever have in my life (even in a sauna). I came back from a rest day and did pure cardio this evening - the rest day is a great help and i felt terrific after it.

I'm looking forward to month 2 if only to see how much tougher it is.

Started this 2 weeks ago. I play sports and also hit the gym and cycle so i am trying to fit in maybe 4 sessions a week if possible.

I love it. I sweat more than i ever have in my life (even in a sauna). I came back from a rest day and did pure cardio this evening - the rest day is a great help and i felt terrific after it.

I swapped weds and Thursday this week, done Plyometrics last night, I still struggle with the second half of that workout, Basketballs are grand, Level 1 drills are tough but doable, but when it comes to the ski-abs followed by in-and-out abs i just cant finish any sets of either of them without taking lots of little rests. I can do about 5 of each exercise in a row before i have to take 5 seconds break then i get back in to it and have to take a break again, they arent getting any easier. Find them really sore on the legs. Anyone else experience this? My missus struggles aswell, but she also struggles with the level 1 drills and although i find them tough i can finish them without any breaks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I find those two very tough as well, though on my shoulders more so that my legs. I can level 1 drills without any breaks but it doesn't leave me with much to give in my upper body.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

I'd be the same SuperSi - the shoulders feel it more than anything else. My only consolation is that even the lads on the dvd's find it tough doing the in out's and the ski ab's as most of them are out on their feet after the level 1 drills.

Back onto week2 of the first month again, took it easy for a few weeks as was working like a loon and didn't have much time for insanity on top of that. I think consistency is the key more than anything, as I can do it for 2-3 weeks easily enough but then if something come's up it can take a knock for a few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

After 44 days I'm taking a break from it. I'm so frustrated with it. Been tracking my calories and all ok there. Used my fitness pal. Really handy that scanning stuff too. I'm going to start back running for August and then start back at insanity in sept.

Why?

I haven't done it this summer unlike the previous two. I sprained my ankle at the start of the summer so couldn't do it. I just focused on body weight stuff. Body shape has improved like never before, cardio is terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Rega

Hi all. i've been following this thread for a while. About time I posted.

I'm on week 5 of Insanity, the recovery week.

Found the first week very tough as I was coming into it after having a lazy few months exercise wise. Week 2 was better and 3 and 4 were fine. I was watching my diet very well and using the myfitnesspal app to track calories. Lost a bit of weight (not loads) but really felt it in my clothes which are much looser. Also noticed I'm getting much stronger in my upper body as I barely could do a few pushups at the start but I'm doing much better now.

Week 5, the recovery week, is really nice. The workout will still make you sweat but it's not as extreme. I love seeing Akil in the front row stopping half way through a few exercises. Makes me feel great about my efforts! I made the mistake of going out for a run Monday night as I thought the workout wasn't as intense but I was very tired the day after. Now I'm taking Sean T's advice and letting my body rest for the week.

Unfortunately my diet's been poor this week. I think it's because I know the next 4 weeks are going to be tough so I'm treating this week like a holiday. I've put back on two pounds but I'm not too fussed as I'll get rid of it next week when I knuckle back down.

• Advertisement

For all of ye about to embark on month 2, it's hell :pac: :D

Had a terrible week myself. Should be ploughing through week 4 but instead I only managed 1 workouts and 2 rugby training sessions. Also went to KFC twice in 3days and I had a Chinese midweek. Went to gym today and feared the worse. Down 1 lb. Couldn't believe it.

Atilladehun, I just wasn't seeing any results at all. I had measured myself last watching what I was eating. Confirming it was good using my fitness plan. I just found it frustrating. I was outting my all into it.
    I took the rest of the week off and I'm going to go back running and swimming from Monday. I'll continue with my fitness plan. I plan to go back to insanity in sept.

Had a terrible week myself. Should be ploughing through week 4 but instead I only managed 1 workouts and 2 rugby training sessions. Also went to KFC twice in 3days and I had a Chinese midweek. Went to gym today and feared the worse. Down 1 lb. Couldn't believe it.

I guess it depends what you were eating alongside the KFC. Even just doing it twice a week along with rugby, you're still burning a lot of calories. Plus you're metabolism has probably gone through the roof recently. My appetite is completley out of control recently, I can't stop eating:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4 greengog25

Hi, I'm going into my last week of insanity, over the last few months I started it and never finished it so in May I went back to month one and started month two, however I started slacking and left it for a few weeks (I play gaelic football so that took up some of my time), so went back to the start of month two again in July and I'm almost there!
    It took a while to get used to the longer workouts in month two but I love them now, I can't say ive stuck to the program religiously as I'm still football training and playing games but I can definately seen results, I don't recall ever been able to see a hint of muscle tone on my stomach and now I can, the results really do speak for themselves, it does require a lot of effort though. It wasn't until month two that I started seeing results, I find the fit test much easier, I have also taken measurements, I havent lost inches but I've toned up everywhere.
    Only problem now is what to do when I'm finished, not sure if I want to start all over again, might try the T25 workout.
    Stick to it though it really is worth it!

I downloaded T25. It seems like a pretty big step down compared to Insanity, there's different grades of difficult but even the harder ones still seem easy. I'll give it a go but I might try the Asylum one or P90. Only problem is that some of them require additional equipment to do some of the exercises.

• Advertisement

Yeh i couldnt physically do it last night when i got in, I was shattered. Going to do last nights video tonight isntead and take yesterday as my rest day.

You'll do yourself a bad injury if you keep at it so hard, then there will be no insanity and no soccer. As Shaun T says himself - listen to your body.

Good luck. You certainly sound like your enjoying it. Keep us all posted on your progress

No updates lately, so heres mine, didnt have the greatest week ever after a decent one last week... bank holiday monday didnt manage to get a video done, Done one Tuesday, had football Weds so didnt do one, but then last night instead of doing the cardio recovery i done Tuesdays instead, ill get one done tonight but then im heading away for the weekend in the morning so wont be able to get one done...so only 3 videos this week. Back at it hard next week

No updates lately, so heres mine, didnt have the greatest week ever after a decent one last week... bank holiday monday didnt manage to get a video done, Done one Tuesday, had football Weds so didnt do one, but then last night instead of doing the cardio recovery i done Tuesdays instead, ill get one done tonight but then im heading away for the weekend in the morning so wont be able to get one done...so only 3 videos this week. Back at it hard next week

aye, its hard to keep to the 60 day plan so rigidly. it doesnt give much scope for bank holidays or weddings or a hard day at work anything like that.

Anyone following Shaun T on facebook? He posts alot of stuff including these daily 5 min workouts which you are suppose to after your normal workouts, be that T25, Insanity, P90 or whatever.

anyway, every 4 or 5 days he posts a pic of himself looking knackered, needing a rest, in bed or whatever. He always looks f**ked :D tbh.
    So if he needs to take an odd day off, thats good enough for me to do it too!

So I was doing bronco kicks during max interval sports training. When I went to kick, I kicked way too high, so I kinda ended up doing this handstand but I couldn't stop my legs from over rotating, ended up toppling over myself and landing on top of a chair that I have my laptop on. Made me laugh (even though it hurt like hell at the time)

• Advertisement
Advertisement