Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How many ewes

• 20-05-2012 11:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭

How many ewes would you need toget a decent living from doing all the work ur self no workman

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 328 ✭✭DMAXMAN

AS A MIXED FARMER CARRYING SHEEP AS WELL AS THE REST AND HAVING TILLAGE GROUND AND CATCH CROPSTO WINTER THE EWES AND FATTEN LAST OF THE LAMBS WE RECKON THAT WE RECKON THAT OUR NET MARGIN PER EWE RUNS ABOUT 50 EURO PER EWE ON A BAD YEAR UP TO APPROX 80 PER HEAD ON A GOOD YEAR. WE BUY IN REPLACEMENTS AND SELL APPROX 1.5 LAMBS PER EWE CONSISTENTLY.IF EWES HAD TO DO A 100 DAY WINTER(NECESSARY ON A WELL STOCKED LOWLAND SHEEP FARM)YOU WOULD NEED TO DRFOP ABOUT 20 EURO TO COVER FODDER AND HOUSING COSTS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭razor8

I reckon you would need from 800 to 1000 and own all your land and have it paid for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭hedgecutting eddie

razor8 wrote: »
    I reckon you would need from 800 to 1000 and own all your land and have it paid for

Seems alot for one man outfit after mart today i feel like sellin them all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Seems alot for one man outfit after mart today i feel like sellin them all

Hello Eddie,

How did you get on in the mart? Are prices gone down even more? :( :mad: :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭kboc

my neighbour lambs down 160 ewes, not sure lambing percentages. He grooses £16,000 and nets £12,000 after costs. all sterling

thats not bad. SFP and other subs are additional on top of this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭hedgecutting eddie

Hello Eddie,

How did you get on in the mart? Are prices gone down even more? :( :mad: :mad:

had 50kg charolais spring lambs lovely shape got 106 euro in kk mart,should have brought them out 2 weeks ago but had them dosed ! factory agent in the mart quoted me 510 rang him back this mornin said could only pay 500/kg .heard there was 600 hoggets killed in kepak hacketstown yesterday some killing out 37kg dead so factory getting 15kg meat for nothin , heard of one man having 800 hoggets left

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

had 50kg charolais spring lambs lovely shape got 106 euro in kk mart,should have brought them out 2 weeks ago but had them dosed ! factory agent in the mart quoted me 510 rang him back this mornin said could only pay 500/kg .heard there was 600 hoggets killed in kepak hacketstown yesterday some killing out 37kg dead so factory getting 15kg meat for nothin , heard of one man having 800 hoggets left

Farmers are their own worst enemy when it comes to selling lamb. your lambs would have been ideal factory lambs 3 weeks ago .. 20 Kg/dw @ €5.60 =€112

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Yeah I sent a few away there today at 500/kg :(
    But what can you do... have to sell em... :(
    snowman707 wrote: »
    Farmers are their own worst enemy when it comes to selling lamb. your lambs would have been ideal factory lambs 3 weeks ago .. 20 Kg/dw @ €5.60 =€112

How are yours killing out snowman?
    This is my first year sending to the factory. Some aren't as fleshy as I thought, and so aren't killing out as high a % as I expected. But I am learning ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

Yeah I sent a few away there today at 500/kg :(
    But what can you do... have to sell em... :(

How are yours killing out snowman?
    This is my first year sending to the factory. Some aren't as fleshy as I thought, and so aren't killing out as high a % as I expected. But I am learning ;)

we draft at 40 to 43 kg L/W usually 18.5 to 21 kgs D/W

k.o. % was higher earlier as we were feeding a high % maize creep due to grass shortage (we thought this was expensive but on hindsight we got a lot of lambs moved before the massive price drop )

Eddie , to answer your original post, my cousin used to keep 1100 ewes, he now reckons he has a better income and quality of life with 850

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 328 ✭✭DMAXMAN

Eddie , to answer your original post, my cousin used to keep 1100 ewes, he now reckons he has a better income and quality of life with 850[/QUOTE]
    the old saying around here is a sheep is another sheeps worst enemy. i used to run 230 ewes split 80 early 150 midseason.cutback to only midseason and am selling only about 70 lambs less per year

• Advertisement
Advertisement