Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applying for masters 9 years after primary.

Options
  • 20-05-2012 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Apologies that I couldn't find any similar topics (there have to be at least some).

I graduated with a 2H2 BsocSc in 2003 and haven't been back to study or work in the area since.

Now I've found my interest in aspects of sociology, particularly power structures and network modelling has been growing in the background while I work in an unrelated field (financial services).

Consequently I've started looking for a MSocSc program to go back and do what I was too young to appreciate wanting to do when I finished my primary degree.

Has anyone else here experience of applying for a Masters program after such a long and complete hiatus and how should I prepare an application to demonstrate that I might be capable enough for consideration despite my not great final result in my bachelors (I'm that guy that didn't read the instructions on the paper properly).

Finally, in terms of references, since I'm looking at a program in the same faculty in the same university, are academic reference letters still a neccessity?
    Or are they even more important due to the length of time that has elapsed and the 2H2.

Any and all help appreciated.

Thanks
    RS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

I would say if you have 9 years of relevant experience working in the area you should be fine. Why don't you get on to the PAC and see what they advise? I am back doing an MEng 13 years after I got my BSc, took a while for the brain cells to start firing again but the flip side is I do have all that work (and life) experience to help me. Give it a shot!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

If you're interested in doing sociology (or any of the social sciences) you can't really go wrong with 9 years experience. You'll probably have to work a little harder then someone just out of a BA to get up to speed with the literature, but you'll have a massive advantage when it comes to researching and writing.

In terms of the application, just tell them you've nine years experience in this sector, during time in that sector you've become interested in specific areas, and that you want to research those areas in an academic context.

If you do go for it, there's a whole mini-market of intro books that'll bring you up to the current theories/approaches in 200 or 300 pages and it might also help to pick up a How to write essays book too, the palgrave macmillan one is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Update.

I succeeded in getting one reference but I've had no reply from two other lecturers I tried contacting.

I've a feeling they may be on leave...

Advertisement