Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Injured young swallow

• 20-05-2012 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi

We found an injured young swallow (we think it's a swallow, small round body, black, round head, tiny beak, elegant narrow fast looking wings, didn't try to upset it to see the tail) last night in front of our doors. It couldn't fly and barely walk, it seems one of it wings is broken or injured. We took it in, put it in a wide plastic bucket so it won't hurt itself. It calmed down immediately and it appears to be sleeping since last night. Put some water in it on a saucer.

Now, what do we do with it? It seems it can't walk, nor fly. Is there any place we can take it to look after it? Other option is to put it back on the car park, or a nearby field but then I can pass it on to my neighbour's cat straight away anyway :)

It doesn't look like a fledgling as it has proper feathers. Were thinking of putting it back where we found it (in front of the house) but it's only a small carpark so it'll be either run over or stepped on.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

You should be able to get some information and a contact here http://www.irishwildlifematters.ie/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 20 pigor

Toulouse wrote: »
    You should be able to get some information and a contact here http://www.irishwildlifematters.ie/index.html

Thank you for the link. According to this it probably is a bit dehydrated (closed eyes most of the time). I placed a shallow yoghurt lid with a bit of water and placed it under its beak. The beak is not immersed in the water, just touching it, and there's only a 2-3 mm of water so it can't immerse it fully by accident (don't want it to drown itself). It moves its head around, stretched its wing once or twice. Anyway, placed it in a wide box with plenty of paper towel and in a quiet place until I manage to talk to someone who knows more. Not sure I have insects around, might catch few resident house spiders for it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Browning2010

Just put it back were you got it and let nature take its course.

Just put it back were you got it and let nature take its course.

It won't be nature, it'll be a car (or a cat) right in front of my doorstep and I'll have to clean it up after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Traonach

It's a swift. An adult that has just returned from Africa. Swifts have only very weak feet legs. If they end up on the ground they can often not get airborne again. Go out to the garden or better a nearby field and put the swift on your hand and raise you hand above your hand. If it doesn't fly gently throw it into air. Do this over grass not something like concrete so if the bird does not fly it will not be harmed if landing on ground. The wings don't look broken to me, the wings are been held in a normal position. For better advise pm poster Swifts need our help!. He is the most knowlegable person on swifts on Boards. Here is his swift thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056249075

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 CLECK

Hi, I think that bird is a swift. AFAIK they cannot take off from the ground. You could try to place the bird in your hand with its head facing away from you and then gently moving your arm up and down so that the bird can feel the air under it's wings. If there are no injuries, it should take off, fingers crossed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 944 ✭✭✭swifts need our help!

It's a swift alright and looks sick or possibly egg bound. Dont try to feed it because they have delicate beaks and guts.

Does it feel warm or cold?

Very gently feel the lower abdomen where the breast ends. Is it soft or does it feel hard?

It may have simply knocked itself out. Do you have holes in or under your eaves?

Keep it warm overnight and see how it is in the morning. Please post as soon as you get up and had a look.

Mark

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭MaeveD

Are you in Dublin? There's a wild bird rescue in Glasnevin

Hi,

I tried what you suggested but the bird was not alert at all let alone able to fly, I don't know how long it was on the ground when I found it. A friend identified it as a swift and I found loads of information here http://www.londons-swifts.org.uk/ Since it was Sunday I couldn't find anywhere to take it but it appears it was sick. I gave it water as per instructions but it would barely take it, it kept its head down, eyes closed and wouldn't move. It died later in the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Sorry to hear that OP.

Still, you should be proud of helping it as much as you could. It had a more peaceful death due to you and your care.

• Advertisement
Advertisement