Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Killer blows up a school! (Italy)

• 20-05-2012 12:39pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭

A sad day for Italy.

It appears that they have decided to bomb a school in Italy.
    One named after a person that fought against them for years.
    In the middle getting the flak, was the school kids that were attending there.
    A bomb exploded outside a school in southern Italy on Saturday, killing a teenage girl and wounding 10 others, in an attack that raised fears Italy could again fall victim to violence by Mafia and other armed groups that have shaken the country in the past.

Police said the blast erupted from explosives placed inside a trash Dumpster adjacent to the school—a vocational institution in the southern port city of Brindisi that is named after a fallen anti-Mafia prosecutor and his wife.

The explosion occurred at the start of the school day, jolting a group of girls entering the school, police said. Sixteen-year-old Melissa Basso died from wounds sustained in the blast. Italian TV was flooded with images of pavement scorched by the explosion and strewn with textbooks and backpacks. Many schools in Italy are open on Saturdays.

Financial Times report: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303448404577413644027072370.html?mod=WSJEurope_hpp_LEFTTopStories

Simply unreal.
    No matter what a persons gripe is, to pick on innocents, adults or kids, is just the actions of the lowest of the low.

EDIT:
    Nodin rightly points out in post four that it might not be the mafia.
    Thread title change to reflect this. Cheers Nodin.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Unfortunately you don't have to go as far as Italy to witness the mass murders of innocent people; it's been happening in our own country for years.

RIP to the girl who died. An absolutely senseless loss

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Such a horrible tragedy. I genuinely can't comprehend how someone could do such a thing, to target children.

Hopefully this might at least lead to outrage against the Mafia and see some concrete action against them. They're still much more powerful in the south of Italy especially than many people realise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Conclusions - best not to jump to them.
    The bomb attack that killed a teenage girl and injured 10 others in the southern Italian town of Brindisi was probably the work of an individual with no links to the mafia, a senior official has said.
    "It seems to be the work of a single person," Marco Dinapoli, Brindisi's chief prosecutor, who is leading the investigation, told reporters on Sunday, saying that a suspect had already been identified.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/may/20/italy-bombing-not-linked-mafia

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

If not linked to the Maifa, I stand rightly corrected.
    I wish I was wrong about the sad killing of a child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I know the mafia are y'know d*cks and all but was bombing schools ever in their modus operandi?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    I know the mafia are y'know d*cks and all but was bombing schools ever in their modus operandi?
    There was an anti mafia march planned in the town the same day, it was done to disrupt that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

I'm disgusted. Pointless in the extreme

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

AnonoBoy wrote: »

Not really. Nothing much to do with the morality, its just if you want to "send a message" theres a number of far better ways of doing it. Its thus unlikely to be them, or any of the other similar organisations. I'd be very, very suprised if it was, at any rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,282 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

The mafia are only interested in making money. I doubt blowing up a school is good for business.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

MadYaker wrote: »
    The mafia are only interested in making money. I doubt blowing up a school is good for business.

As Nodin rightly indicated, it might not have been now, the Mafia.

On the point that it might not be good for business though, I suspect that any downfall of the government or wrecking of parts of the economy in that country, that might give them advantage and/or opportunity to regain their bad insidious status that they once had at their height of corruption and power.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Mafia or not, it is a pointless and sad killing. :(

Advertisement