Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burnaby Park Regeneration Project

Options
  • 20-05-2012 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Some of you may have seen the plans up for the Burnaby Park regeneration project in the window at Joker's.

The link for the planned works is attached here:

burnaby.jpg

Any comment or opinions on it?

Personally I think it looks good and in particular, lowering the wall of the park facing on to Church Road and making larger openings to access the area is of merit. Also the bike racks are a welcome addition although a shelter structure should perhaps also be considered.

I think an addition to the plan could be a few wind turbines to power the amount of lighting proposed. Anyone familiar with Clongriffin park (see image attached) will appreciate how this can be quite attractive addition to a public space.
    IMG_8250.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Dunphus

They seem to want to replace an awful lot of grass with tarmac

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Matt Le Tissue

I really like the plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭danjo

What a stupid idea while we are cutting back on schools and hospitals!
    Do these planners live in the real world ?

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭sinkadinka

Personally I think the park is beautiful as it is and would prefer to see money being spent making childrens playground beside south beach car park safer....the ground surface is a disgrace and hasnt been touched in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

sinkadinka wrote: »
    Personally I think the park is beautiful as it is and would prefer to see money being spent making childrens playground beside south beach car park safer....the ground surface is a disgrace and hasnt been touched in years.

I disagree. It's just a field at the moment with no character and nothing to want to make me use it for anything. The new plans are great and I hope it goes ahead, it would be nice for money to be spent for everyone to enjoy not just people with kids ;-)

Btw if the play park is not safe shouldn't the council be paying for it? From what I understand the plans for burnaby park suggest private fund raising will be used to pay for that redevelopment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭mirekb

danjo wrote: »
    What a stupid idea while we are cutting back on schools and hospitals!
    Do these planners live in the real world ?

:mad:

It comes from an EU fund rather than Irish tax payers. Not sure of the details but Grainne McL i(town councillor) is applying.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

looks OK, but my concern would be that seating, tables, chess tables, petanque courts, sensory gardens etc require maintenance - the council is very good at installing things and not great at maintaining them in the long term (see the existing water feature in the park)

Also the Park has traditionally been a hot-spot for kids drinking - whilst opening it up a bit and installing proper lighting might discourage this, it might also just provide them with more places to sit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

they'll just move to the laneway behind the theatre, or to superquinn carpark to drink.

I like it, it opens up the area nicely. Its a shame that you can't see into it from the road, if you're passing through all you see is the dingy water feature and a load of overgrown bushes. Opening it out will make it significantly better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭LifeBeginsAt40

it would be nice for money to be spent for everyone to enjoy not just people with kids ;-)

Totally agree. I have 2 small kids, but there are many times when I'd like to enjoy the outdoors in Greystones without the kids.

So to me it seems a great idea, there is life in Greystones beyond kids you know ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭IanL

loyatemu it will defintely discourage underage drinking, having been young and irresponsible myself the last place they'll do it is somewhere they'll be seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Wow.

How long has Park Lane been called Park Lane???

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

How long has Park Lane been called Park Lane???
    OpenStreetMap and OSi both have it as Park Lane on their online maps, Google has it as Portland Road. Garmin just call it "Alley" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

Doubt those turbines will be put up, waste of money at that size.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Rocket19

Alun wrote: »
    OpenStreetMap and OSi both have it as Park Lane on their online maps, Google has it as Portland Road. Garmin just call it "Alley" :)

Oh my gosh! Are we talking about the scabby little graffiti alley? That's not Portland Road! Silly google :P

The park plan looks lovely though!
    The current park is such a waste of potential at the moment. I think Greystones definitely has a lack of places to "just sit" in around the main street (excluding the coffee shops obviously), so this should be a welcome developement. People don't really sit around chatting with coffee on the park benches or anything like that..basically because it's just not very "nice" or inspiring! Hopefully they will actually put this facelift into action!

Advertisement