Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it me or is iPad 1 struggling with recent apps and recent updates to older apps?

• 20-05-2012 1:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭

Lately I'm finding some apps on iPad 1 are not working well. Simple enough apps like draw something and scramble with friends seem to crash shortly after loading and need to be reloaded several times before they'll play ball.

Is anyone else noticing this?
    I'd be happy to hear I'm alone and that this is just a problem that needs a restore and not an ageing iPad problem.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Lmsilvam

Unfortunately I'm experiencing the same issue. My iPad 1 crashes at least once a day, normally when browsing some websites. It clearly struggles with some apps. What I do is I close apps that I'm not using by clicking the home button twice and removing them from memory, which helps a bit. Some people have suggested restoring the iPad entirely, but it didn't really help me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Thank for the reply. Looks like we are in the same boat so. I have to say if it's a case that after 2 years something like the ipad isn't going to be able to run apps I'm really disappointed. I hope the next version of ios might add something.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Try restarting or hard resetting the iPad. If that doesn't work, try contacting the developers of the apps. But it may just be due to the limitations of the iPad 1. The lack of RAM is a problem. It's unlikely the next version of iOS will improve matters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Sorry lads, its typical Apple and tech moving along. Same goes for the 3GS, it just can't keep up any more. Even my 4 seems slow. A new iOS won't fix the issue as they are designed first and foremost for the most current device, and maybe the last device previous. Certainly not for a Gen 1 when Gen 3 is on the shelves.

Best option to save yourself the hassle and heartbreak is to sell the 1, and but a newer model.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

... I hope the next version of ios might add something.

It might drop you from support altogether. Bit early for that yet though.

At some point Apple drops old devices with their OS, which means any apps which need that version won't work for that older device either. Even if you jailbreak the device it simply won't have the hardware to keep up.

Personally I think its a bit much when most modern phone, tablets even laptops are very capable, its just the inevitable software bloat that kills them off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Thanks for the replies.
    I've tried a whole load of things to see if I can give it a boost,disabling notifications, restarts etc, nothing has made a difference. Id threaten to not get any more apple products if I wasn't so damned in love with my ipad:)
    Really though 2 years is very disappointing shelf life.

If anyone has any suggestions of tips please let me know too . :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

It seems like the apps are taking advantage of new iOS features in iOS 5.0 which are using more memory on the iPad 1. Which runs on only 256M ( amazingly).

An update costs less than you think, it is the difference between the selling price of the 1, and the cost of the 2. I have a 3, but I don't see it worth the price differential with the iPad 2, so just go for the now reduced second model.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭vinniemac

I've had major problems since the ios5 update (and 5.1 and 5.11). Was on the phone to apple today and they suggested setting up a new user ID on the computer (not iTunes) and using iTunes under the new user ID to run a restore as a new iPad. they're suggesting that the upgrade may have been corrupted and using the new ID will download a completely new version of ios. Haven't tried it yet but will report back if I find any improvement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

vinniemac wrote: »
    I've had major problems since the ios5 update (and 5.1 and 5.11). Was on the phone to apple today and they suggested setting up a new user ID on the computer (not iTunes) and using iTunes under the new user ID to run a restore as a new iPad. they're suggesting that the upgrade may have been corrupted and using the new ID will download a completely new version of ios. Haven't tried it yet but will report back if I find any improvement

You can delete the pre-downloaded iOS updates in the iTunes folder, much easier.

Advertisement