Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Megadeth - remasters or originals

• 20-05-2012 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭

Hey, which do you prefer, the original Megadeth releases or the remastered versions. I'm going to pick up some of their albums and hear different things about the sound quality. Any thoughts? Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭PattheMetaller

Personally I prefer the original if available. It's usually cheaper, but more importantly some of the extra tracks on remastered albums are demos or general filler that, if it had been any good, would have made the original album anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

I agree, the original versions would be best, especially if they're cheaper. However, given online prices, you might find the remasters in brand new and sealed condition for as cheap as a good copy of the original edition on EBay.

I do think a lot of the remastered bonus rubbish is generally filler or Mustaine adding liner notes and thoughts that nobody needs to know....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Any remasters by any band should pretty much always be avoided, but the Megadeth ones are especially bad due to the changes.

Though So far so good so what does sound kinda awesome on the remaster..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

was trying to pick up originals of rust in peace and countdown as I had them on cassette years ago, but all I could get were the remasters. They are not too bad. I don't notice anything major in them, but the remaster of SFSGSW has some really odd synth brass at the start of the first track.

I have an original copy of youthanasia. I bought 2 of them at the time...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Remasters are terrible, avoid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

the remaster of Rust In Peace is dire. It's a muddy mess, reminiscent of the ****ty production on more recent releases. Or maybe my ears are screwed up from 22 years of listening to Megadeth...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I didn't hear anything that really grated on RIP? Must listen to it again.
    I think SFSGSW was the one that shocked me...He feckin remixed them as well as remastered them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

I have come to accept the remastered versions; its really down to the listener new fans to the band it wouldn't make a difference and the remastered versions are more readily available, I have to agree with SirLemonHead I thought SFSGSW is the most worthwhile of the remasters i thought on the original CD the songs didnt reach their full potential so upon hearing the newer release I was quite pleased its like a totally different album but thats effectively what the remasters are, I initially approached them with caution as when I heard that Dave entered the studio to record different guitar parts and alter vocals which seems well...weird, I thought sound quality fair enough but why make changes to great material surely more bad than good can come from it?. I would also say Rust In Peace suffers the most its well known that when he went to mix some of the tracks most noticeably "Five Magics" and "Take No Prisoners" the old tapes were missing so he recorded them again. The most major change of the catalog comes in MD45 release a side project the vocals/harmonica on the original release were by a guy called Lee Ving but Dave said see ya later Lee and removed Vings contribution altogether this is very interesting as it gives it a Megadeth feel that it never had before this was obviously what he intended,Other changes on other releases mainly include some changed intros kinda liked that needles and pins intro to Use The Man (Cryptic Writings) but he removed it. On the bonus tracks nothing of too much interest at all mainly demo tracks/remixes you might you might listen to once out of curiosity, Youthanasia is the pick of the bunch for the extra content due to New World Order being the best but hey he's re recorded that and Millenium Of The Blind on their latest release.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭PattheMetaller

This idea some bands or musicians take on to re-record guitar parts or drums etc can also be used to ake sure the original guitarist or drummer doesn't get any royalties from sales of the re-issue / re-master or whatever they decide to call it....

Advertisement