Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland vs Barbarians Gloucester, 29 May NO TV, NO STREAMS.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

JustinDee wrote: »
    That is not the case.

Jaysus, it's like getting blood from a stone.

If you know exactly why this isn't being broadcast can you tell us?

If you can't then stop being cryptic about it and just leave it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Teferi wrote: »

money-be-green1.jpg

In a nutshell, why it isn't being broadcast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,842 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I'm assuming these were the Babarians TV rights to sell, therefore it has nothing to do with the IRFU?

It's the same in football if Ireland are playing an away match in Portugal then RTE or Sky will buy the rights for the game of the Portuguese FA not the FAI.

The IRFU's biggest balls up was allowing the game to take place in Gloucester

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

The Barbarians are always the home side. They form the fixture and invite opposition to play. The final squad flies from London on to UnZid too.

That is not the case.
    The IRFU's biggest balls up was allowing the game to take place in Gloucester

Teferi, justin just said the IRFU don't organise it. What more do you want him to say? That's his answer, believe it or don't!

From what I can tell, they just agree to the fixture. It makes sense geographically for the Barbarians to play in Gloucester between playing in London and Cardiff, keeps cost down.

I'm surprised there is no leeway on making sure it's televised, as fishooks says below.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,143 ✭✭✭fitz

The Barbarians are always the home side. They form the fixture and invite opposition to play. The final squad flies from London on to UnZid too.

Eh, what?
    They're playing Wales in Cardiff ffs, how is travelling from England to Wales maintaining a "home" base.
    That's complete rubbish. You're telling me that the IRFU couldn't have spoken behind closed doors with the Baa Baas and requested that the game be located somewhere that would have accommodated more fans and been a more attractive broadcast option from a cost perspective?
    That is not the case.

So the IRFU weren't responsible for negotiating the terms of the match?
    They either accepted fully the terms presented by the Barbarians and had absolutely zero wiggle room?

I find it very hard to believe that any national union has so little leverage with an organisation like the Baa Baas, but if it is a case of either accepting the fixture or not, then it's really just a training match. Why not play Connacht?

The IRFU should have only agreed to the game being on in England with the condition that the BaBaas get the match televised

Otherwise it would have made more sense to get a bigger crowd by having it here

I don't know many Welsh or English people that will be making an effort to get to a game between a pretty boring BaBaas side and an experimental Irish 15

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

No broadcaster wants to spend money in setting up and covering it.
    No one wants to broadcast it, as I said already.
    I would have thought that was obvious enough. I wasn't being bloody well "cryptic".
    Fy faen!

fitz wrote: »
    Eh, what?
    They're playing Wales in Cardiff ffs, how is travelling from England to Wales maintaining a "home" base.
    That's complete rubbish.
    Its not. The Babas are the home side wherever they play. They come up with the fixtures. They offer them on their terms.

You're welcome.

Its not. The Babas are the home side wherever they play. They come up with the fixtures. They offer them on their terms.

So, they'd be a home side if they played in Ireland then.
    Why not respond to the invite (which doesn't happen in public I'm assuming) by declining based on the location, and stating that if it was held in Ireland, that the answer would be different? No-one is forcing the IRFU to accept the terms offered...
    You're welcome.

You really do yourself no favours being so obnoxiously smug.

• Advertisement

I would have thought that was obvious enough. I wasn't being bloody well "cryptic".
    Fy faen!

All that makes sense and is probably spot on, but I'm nearly sure I remember seeing Ireland v Barbarians advertised on Sky about a month ago when they were advertising their summer of rugby.

Why not respond to the invite (which doesn't happen in public I'm assuming) by declining based on the location, and stating that if it was held in Ireland, that the answer would be different? No-one is forcing the IRFU to accept the terms offered...
    It is on Barbarians' terms. No-one else's. Game was offered and was taken. It really is that simple. The moaning about no TV coverage now is similar to that of the pre-RWC game at Donnybrook last year. It will pass though and the game will still serve its purpose as intended.
    Not being smug. I'm pretty effing peeved at some of the smart-arsed replies so just returning with kind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Calm the ham mate. He answered the questions way up the thread, and people still kept asking them. Others also answered, so I'd feel a bit peed off if I was being called cryptic and unhelpful when the information was already posted.

Why accept the invitation? Maybe it's easier when the inviter has everything set up and you just have to turn up and play. Useful opportunity to try out some players without going to a lot of hassle trying to find oppositions and venues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

There are a large number of Irish fans who live in london and can't travel because its on so far out.

I mean the IRFU are well aware of the venue and date when they agree. They aren't aware of media coverage. That's fair enough. They might have taken the initiative to go to Ryle and sound it out but obviously they didn't and that's fine. I don't think it would have changed anything anyway.

What annoys me most is a game on a Tuesday night, two days after most of the Irish guys gave played for Leinster, out of commuting distance for the many Irish working in London. Just seems a bit mad to me, for both the Baa-Baas management and the IRFU. And pretending the IRFU can't negotiate on the terms of these fixtures is hilarious. I mean stick it on in Reading and you're guaranteed the not-not fans at least!

It is on Barbarians' terms. No-one else's. Game was offered and was taken. It really is that simple. The moaning about no TV coverage now is similar to that of the pre-RWC game at Donnybrook last year. It will pass though and the game will still serve its purpose as intended.

Fair enough, but on that basis, I think for the kind of game this is going to be, with the kind of Irish selection we're seeing, a game against Connacht would have been just as beneficial, and would have had the added benefit of allowing fans to attend. I've no issue with the lack of TV coverage for this kind of game, if Irish fans can attend. When its an away game that people would have to shell out considerable cash to attend, the lack of TV coverage becomes more of an issue for fans would are interested in seeing the game but can't justify the expense of going.
    Not being smug. I'm pretty effing peeved at some of the smart-arsed replies so just returning with kind.

Direct your snottiness at the people being smart-arses then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

I'm fairly sure this match was advertised by Sky so I'm surprised it's suddenly not being broadcast.
    Fy faen!

Stay classy, Justin.

Anyway, how do we see (no pun intended) the game going?

I reckon Ireland should take it, that Barbarians side is thrown together.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I'm fairly sure this match was advertised by Sky so I'm surprised it's suddenly not being broadcast.

Perhaps with most of the big names not playing they decided not to bother.

Ireland by 10.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Perhaps with most of the big names not playing they decided not to bother.

Funnily enough they flew to Cork for a B&I Cup Final, a game with virtually no big names and little to no hype.

• Advertisement

Stay classy, Justin.
    Don't worry. That's a pretty tame Norwegian term, especially in translation lol

We've a vey exciting backline and even with ROG at outhalf we'll find holes all day I reckon

Zebo and Gilroy both to score is my bet anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 5,935 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Unlike Ireland's............... Oh! hang on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    We've a vey exciting backline and even with ROG at outhalf we'll find holes all day I reckon

Zebo and Gilroy both to score is my bet anyway

Couldn't give a f**k how many holes we find and who scores, there is only one desirable outcome from this match and it is that all front-row players involved come through unscathed.

I don't know how Healy's injury is progressing but Ross is very unlikely to make the first test, Court is already out so we're facing the very real prospect of playing New Zealand with Wilkinson, Fitzpatrick and Loughney as our props. That's scary enough but if one of those guys gets injured?? Horan, Archer, Hagan next in line? F**k me.

The nicest thing we can say about this match is that it was badly conceived but with good intentions by IRFU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

More lazy shíte from the IRFU. Trying to wash their hands now saying Barbarians didnt televise it. Here's a thought IRFU, maybe next time come up some terms of your own and dont just accept matches anywhere willy nilly.

We are sending the lads to play a pointless match against an uninterested team, that nobody wants to televise and nobody will fcukin see. Whats the fcukin point ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Couldn't give a f**k how many holes we find and who scores, there is only one desirable outcome from this match and it is that all front-row players involved come through unscathed.

I don't know how Healy's injury is progressing but Ross is very unlikely to make the first test, Court is already out so we're facing the very real prospect of playing New Zealand with Wilkinson, Fitzpatrick and Loughney as our props. That's scary enough but if one of those guys gets injured?? Horan, Archer, Hagan next in line? F**k me.

The nicest thing we can say about this match is that it was badly conceived but with good intentions by IRFU.

Imagine we didn't have the match. When was the last time Wilkinson, Fitzpatrick or Loughney played a full game? And as you say, we may be expecting them to line out against the ABs? They need every minute of game time they can get their hands on.

Otacon wrote: »
    Imagine we didn't have the match. When was the last time Wilkinson, Fitzpatrick or Loughney played a full game? And as you say, we may be expecting them to line out against the ABs? They need every minute of game time they can get their hands on.

+1

As much as we can't afford anymore injuries, we badly need to look at our back ups for TH and LH

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

The Barbarians are always the home side. They form the fixture and invite opposition to play. The final squad flies from London on to UnZid too...

Interesting point that the Barbarians are the home side. So does that mean they could "host" Ireland in Ravenhill or Thomond without violating the agreement with Aviva that all Ireland home matches must be played in the Aviva Stadium?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

ambid wrote: »
    Interesting point that the Barbarians are the home side. So does that mean they could "host" Ireland in Ravenhill or Thomond without violating the agreement with Aviva that all Ireland home matches must be played in the Aviva Stadium?

Did they play Ireland in Thomond a couple of years ago? Big Mal played?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Winters wrote: »

I think the Aviva wasn't finished then

An Ireland XV played the Barbarians at Thomond Park two years ago (where the Barbarians were the home side).
    Was a cracking night out too as a big bunch of us travelled instead of having to work and went out on town for my 40th birthday! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Was at that game. Can't remember much of it but for some reason I do remember some weird stilt-wearing performers in Ireland and Barbarians jersey 'fighting' on the pitch.

I remember Quinny wearing his Clan socks and us getting bet, that's about it

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭RoundBox11

I guarantee you that won't happen.

Firstly Healy will almost definitely be able to start the first AB game. He had a dead leg which is nothing really. I'd say Kidney didn't want him playing at the weekend in case he did further damage because he's so accident prone.
    Ross looked ok coming off when he was injured. It just looked precautionary to me. I'd say we would've heard by now if it was something serious.

But even in the incredibly unlikely situation that they were both ruled out and one of Wilkinson/Fitzpatrick get injured today, theres no way Kidney would call up Horan, Archer or Hagan. Horan hasnt had any gametime at all for munster recently and is behind Kilcoyne there. I'd say after his decent cameo on sunday, Jack McGrath would be next in line at loosehead. Standing up well to Adam Jones in a scrum 5 metres infront of your own line with a light winger acting applying the pressure instead of KMcL, that'd have to stand to him. He already has a reputation for being a good scrummager and was in the 6nations training squad. Paddy McAllister was also in the 6N training squad so i'd say he'd be next after McGrath.

McAllister would be called up ahead of McGrath imo.

• Advertisement

RoundBox11 wrote: »
    I guarantee you that won't happen.

Firstly Healy will almost definitely be able to start the first AB game. He had a dead leg which is nothing really. I'd say Kidney didn't want him playing at the weekend in case he did further damage because he's so accident prone.
    Ross looked ok coming off when he was injured. It just looked precautionary to me. I'd say we would've heard by now if it was something serious.
    Ah yeah, it was a worst case scenario thing and I'm a bit of a drama queen at the best of times... Healy will be grand but the paper this morning was saying that Ross needs two weeks rehab, which would bring him to the day after the first test...

Oh and by the way, this may be of interest:
    The Barbarians have no home ground or clubhouse. They are a touring club that plays at the invitation of clubs or unions and have visited all parts of the home unions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭colman1212

An Ireland XV played the Barbarians at Thomond Park two years ago (where the Barbarians were the home side).
    Was a cracking night out too as a big bunch of us travelled instead of having to work and went out on town for my 40th birthday! :)

Was a cracking night, had corporate tickets and was sitting beside trevor brennan, claw and keith wood. ended up having a pint with a few of the players after, byron kelleher and xavier rush. One of my best rugby memories...

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭RoundBox11

Ah yeah, it was a worst case scenario thing and I'm a bit of a drama queen at the best of times... Healy will be grand but the paper this morning was saying that Ross needs two weeks rehab, which would bring him to the day after the first test...

Oh sorry my bad i hadn't heard this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

Myself and another few are heading up to this game this evening. Only working about an hour from Gloucester so thought we'd head along. Can't imagine there being too many at this. Looking forward to seeing how Touhy and Ryan get on in the second row and with Gilroy and Zebo on the wings, hopefully a few tries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Rosebud1977

I actually joined Boards.ie just to find out if the Ireland vs Babas match was going to be shown on TV. I see from the posts here that it's not! That seriously sucks!

• Advertisement

. . . etc
    On any match day, they are the designated home team.
    They also arrange their own fixtures such as tonight's game.

Just saying . . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Anyone have a satellite van and a few camera's to broadcast the match? I'm willing to pay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Myself and another few are heading up to this game this evening. Only working about an hour from Gloucester so thought we'd head along. Can't imagine there being too many at this. Looking forward to seeing how Touhy and Ryan get on in the second row and with Gilroy and Zebo on the wings, hopefully a few tries.

Expecting a detailed match report :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Just saying . . .

But why agree to play a game that wont be televised and will be played in Gloucester ? They can spout their "its a good opportunity to get game time" crap until the cows come home but in reality they can say that about any game played anywhere against any opposition.

So whats the actual point of playing this game other than being too lazy to arrange their own fixture that would be of more benefit ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Lads, can we now get back to discussing the match itself rather than the lack of coverage.

Obviously if someone is on-site and would care to update the thread it would be appreciated or you can use the IRFU sources on Twitter and presumably on their website.

In the meantime, quit flogging a dead horse, no amount of smart-arsery, arguement or counter-arguement is going to conjour up SKY/BBC/RTE or Setanta cameras at the grounds.

Discussion of how/why an Ireland match comes to be played in Gloucester may continue.

Just saying . . .

I didn't say anything about home or away (in fact, I didn't say anything, just quoted their website), but it seems odd that the Barbarians would arrange a match totally off their own steam just two days after their previous game, yet time it perfectly as a tour warm-up for Ireland. Very odd indeed.

Odd as well that you claim to know more about the Barbarians than they do themselves; perhaps you can ask them to correct their website.

I didn't say anything about home or away (in fact, I didn't say anything, just quoted their website), but it seems odd that the Barbarians would arrange a match totally off their own steam just two days after their previous game, yet time it perfectly as a tour warm-up for Ireland. Very odd indeed
    Not odd at all. Someone mentions there is a tour to kick off at a certain date and the two parties have a chat about a fixture. Its just a straightforward process. Don't forget who comprises the various committees involved with the Barbarians: mainly past players from a host of different rugby union nations.
    Odd as well that you claim to know more about the Barbarians than they do themselves; perhaps you can ask them to correct their website.
    The website isn't incorrect. I just added that they arrange their own fixtures themselves too, such as this.

Not odd at all. Someone mentions there is a tour to kick off at a certain date and the two parties have a chat about a fixture. Its just a straightforward process. Don't forget who comprises the various committees involved with the Barbarians: mainly past players from a host of different rugby union nations.

And my point earlier was that surely as part of this kind of conversation, the union could request or push for an Irish venue.

The website isn't incorrect. I just added that they arrange their own fixtures themselves too, such as this.

No. You stated that the Barbarians arranged the match, and implied that it was a take it or leave it situation. You seem to be backtracking now.

so we're still not actually discussing the actual match, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Hard really to discuss the match when we won't be able to see it, I would love to see how the likes of Fitzpatrick, Tuohy, Cave, Gilroy, Zebo get on, but we won't really be able to assess how they play, hopefully someone going will be able to provide some detail.

• Advertisement
Advertisement