Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Current Female Singer

Options
  • 20-05-2012 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

What do ya think?

Best Current Female Singer 28 votes

Taylor Swift
    0% 0 votes
    Beyonce
    14% 4 votes
    Hayley Williams
    28% 8 votes
    Christina Aguilera
    10% 3 votes
    Rihanna
    0% 0 votes
    Katy Perry
    14% 4 votes
    Avril Lavigne
    7% 2 votes
    Ke$ha
    3% 1 vote
    Kelly Clarkson
    3% 1 vote
    Leona Lewis
    3% 1 vote
    Alica Keys
    3% 1 vote
    Mariah Carey
    7% 2 votes
    Jordin Sparks
    3% 1 vote
    P!nk
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

That's a sh*t list and you should feel bad about yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

I think that you shouldn't make a list of a very small portion of a particularly boring part of popular music and then ask what the 'best current female singer' is. Because it's not any of those.

For what it's worth, I'd vote Björk if Björk was on your list.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

This is now a who would you prefer to have sex with thread.

I went with Taylor. I want to corrupt her aryan bloodline.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,614 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Define "best"?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

You should of put Michelle Lally and Mindy Smith on your list, great, great female vocalists and I would vote for either if they were there.

Seen as how I had to go with one from that poll, I chose Kelly because she is IMO the best of the artists you mentioned.

Having said that I assume by "best" you mean the most talented vocally, and not hottest. If you did mean the latter I would go for Katy Perry in a flash;).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Gaga

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Meehanmeehan

I am. Also I'm a guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

...and Adele is missing off the list why-now?

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

Alicia Keys by some distance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Feist

• Advertisement

...and Adele is missing off the list why-now?

Because it's a **** list. However, if it were a good list, Adele would still be absent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 inda_kenny

rcaz wrote: »
    I think that you shouldn't make a list of a very small portion of a particularly boring part of popular music and then ask what the 'best current female singer' is. Because it's not any of those.

For what it's worth, I'd vote Björk if Björk was on your list.

she might be an interesting and unique artist but how anyone could say she is a good singer is beyond me

how come adele isnt on the list

Because it's a **** list. However, if it were a good list, Adele would still be absent.

says the one who views the icelandic screecher at the top :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Silvics

I doubt that any of those on your list could sing in tune outside of a recording studio. What about Debbie Harry? Saw her last year and man can she sing live!

inda_kenny wrote: »
    says the one who views the icelandic screecher at the top :rolleyes:

Because she makes good music, writes fantastic arrangements, pushes her sound forward with every album, and writes some of the most touching, affecting songs I've ever heard. Adele whines about her boyfriend like a million other upset girls with acoustic guitars.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Am I seeing things or is Ke$ha also on that list:eek:.

How anyone could think she can sing without a switch is beyond me.

Because she makes good music, writes fantastic arrangements, pushes her sound forward with every album, and writes some of the most touching, affecting songs I've ever heard. Adele whines about her boyfriend like a million other upset girls with acoustic guitars.

each to thier own

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

Kerry Ellis should be added to the list me thinks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

First of all the poll is a joke :D

Secondly it takes more than a good voice to be a good female solo artist. While it's impossible to determine "who's best" I would like to nominate Natasha Khan, aka Bat For Lashes. Not only does she have a great voice (and is quite good-looking) but she's also a very creative songwriter. But what's even more impressive is that she's a very talented multi-instrumentalist who plays piano, guitar, bass, xylophone, harpsichord and autoharp and basically plays most of the instruments on her albums.

You also have the likes of Kate Bush, PJ Harvey and Bjork who are still going strong and of course more recent artists like Sharon Van Etten, Feist and St. Vincent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

^^ +1 on Natasha Khan & St.Vincent.

Also really liking Victoria Legrand from Beach House

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Needs more Emeli Sande tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

^^ +1 on Natasha Khan & St.Vincent.

Also really liking Victoria Legrand from Beach House
    Victoria Legrand definitely, she has an otherworldly quality to her voice that's impossible to resist. She really makes Beach House for me.

Also Anna Calvi deserves a mention. While her debut last year could have been better it did show a lot of promise. She has an amazing voice and is a pretty good guitar player to boot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Zero1986 wrote: »
    First of all the poll is a joke :D

Secondly it takes more than a good voice to be a good female solo artist. While it's impossible to determine "who's best" I would like to nominate Natasha Khan, aka Bat For Lashes. Not only does she have a great voice (and is quite good-looking) but she's also a very creative songwriter. But what's even more impressive is that she's a very talented multi-instrumentalist who plays piano, guitar, bass, xylophone, harpsichord and autoharp and basically plays most of the instruments on her albums.

You also have the likes of Kate Bush, PJ Harvey and Bjork who are still going strong and of course more recent artists like Sharon Van Etten, Feist and St. Vincent.

And furthermore, if you do want to talk about simply who is the best female vocalist , there is still more to that than being technically able. Christina Aguilera is technically a good singer, but she is still one of the most horrible female singers I've ever heard. In my opinion, being a great singer is about having a unique voice, doing interesting things with it that don't have to involve melodramatic over-singing, using the voice to tell the story of the song, using it as a way of conveying real emotion. The likes of Aguilera don't believe a word of what they sing and they make up for it in over-dramatic, fake emotional singing. This is what made Billie Holiday quite possibly the greatest vocalist to walk the earth - sure she wasn't a match for the Aguileras or Careys of the world technically, but she was 100 times more believable and interesting than the both of those combined as a vocalist.

It's the same thing that I admire about the likes of PJ, Bjork, Erykah Badu, Fiona Apple, etc. These are women who use their voices in ways to enhance the meaning of the music and not just as tools to show off or convey fake emotion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Janelle Monae

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

For a modern pop artist I have to say I love Rihanna! She has some brilliant and catchy tunes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Zero1986 wrote: »
    Victoria Legrand definitely, she has an otherworldly quality to her voice that's impossible to resist. She really makes Beach House for me.

Yeah, good shout.

Also, like Hayley Mary from The Jezabels. Another girl with a slightly unique voice, and a good variety of songs behind her.

Surprised Florence Welch hasn't been mentioned. She's not my favourite singer or anything, but I was always convinced she'd a strong following.

One thing is for sure, the poll options are fiercely limited

• Registered Users Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭mosstin

Has to be Mary Black. Failing that, her daughter from The Coronas. Danni.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭Jason Fly

kippy wrote: »
    Define "best"?

should also define "singer"...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ItAintMeBabe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FY6ziVcfRvM

This blows most people on that list out of the water IMO. I knwo it's never a patch on George's original, but she does a fine job.

Advertisement