Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Current Female Singer

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Blisterman wrote: »
    Janelle Monae

Her performance at Glastonbury last year was one of the best live performances I've seen. It just looked like so much fun, and she's got some voice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Captain Graphite

In my opinion, being a great singer is about having a unique voice, doing interesting things with it that don't have to involve melodramatic over-singing, using the voice to tell the story of the song, using it as a way of conveying real emotion. The likes of Aguilera don't believe a word of what they sing and they make up for it in over-dramatic, fake emotional singing. This is what made Billie Holiday quite possibly the greatest vocalist to walk the earth - sure she wasn't a match for the Aguileras or Careys of the world technically, but she was 100 times more believable and interesting than the both of those combined as a vocalist.

+1, very well said.
    And with the above in mind, I'm gonna go with Cat Power. Surprised no-one else has mentioned her yet. I know a few people who don't like her voice and she can be pretty hit and miss live (not that I've actually seen her live yet...but hopefully someday!) but she has written some really powerful, touching and haunting music. And personally I think her voice is gorgeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Dubhthamlacht

I'd have to go for either Anna Calvi or Beth Gibbons. Both have incredible singing voices that are distinct and can move you.

Mimi Parker from Low also has a remarkable voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Dunno if she's the best, but I really love Annie Clark, aka St. Vincent's music at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

Ive gotta second Natasha Kahn, beautiful haunting voice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

bobjimmy wrote: »
    Best Current Female Singer,
    What do ya think?

Can't believe you left out the singer of the new Bond Theme :eek:

Adele
    373049_9770929278_422928250_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 33,691 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

This is another one of those music threads that has no definitive answer.

I'm going to say Stevie Nicks even though her name isn't on the list, as she will always be my favourite female voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Cosmicfox

Florence Welch, but seeing as she is not on the list I'll go with Beyonce. Not keen on any of them up there tbh.

Advertisement