Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big house out Clonmel - Cahir Road (N24)

Options
  • 20-05-2012 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭

im new in town and just had a quick question

whats that big house out the cahir road about 1/2mile from the roudabout?

its back from the road about 1/2mile on the right as you go out

anyone know its history

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

aidanki wrote: »
    im new in town and just had a quick question

whats that big house out the cahir road about 1/2mile from the roudabout?

What "Cahir road"? What is the route number?
    its back from the road about 1/2mile on the right as you go out

anyone know its history

Go out in which direction? What roundabout? Help us out here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

DT100 wrote: »
    That's the house allright I'd say,the county council bought it a few years back for 4 million.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭aidanki

Amtmann wrote: »
    What "Cahir road"? What is the route number?

Go out in which direction? What roundabout? Help us out here.

clonmel to cahir road

the roundabout I am referring to is the first roundabout as your coming into clonmel from cahir, the one where you get on the bypass

tippspur wrote: »
    That's the house allright I'd say,the county council bought it a few years back for 4 million.

what do you the council do with it, is there a big land estate with it as well

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

What are the council using it for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭archtech

The council bought the estate with the view to developing a technology park on it. A local area plan/masterplan was prepared for the estate a number of years ago. LIT Tipperary have a research unit on the grounds of the estate at present and apart from a development company gaining planning permission for a hotel on the site, which didn't go ahead there has been no further plans interest in developing the site, until recently when the county council sought tenders for a design and build project for a research/training/enterprise building. Of course the council did alter the roundabout and construct 200-300 metres of access from from it to service the development back the celtic tiger days.

its a big estate so

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Hey OP,

I'm not sure you and the other contributors are talking about the same place. THe area that the council bought is much closer to the cahir road roundabout than half a mile.

Further out that road, just before Barne Pub, is Mooretown House, (think that's the name) which is in private ownership. Think some Germans own it but they've been living there for years. It's also on the right, well off the road and has a lake/pond at the front.

Meathlass wrote: »
    Hey OP,

I'm not sure you and the other contributors are talking about the same place. THe area that the council bought is much closer to the cahir road roundabout than half a mile.

Further out that road, just before Barne Pub, is Mooretown House, (think that's the name) which is in private ownership. Think some Germans own it but they've been living there for years. It's also on the right, well off the road and has a lake/pond at the front.

thats the one Im talking about, any ideas as to its origins

• Advertisement

tippspur wrote: »

where is this one the one im talking about has the lake in frount of it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Vizzy

The house you refer to is known as "Barne" or " Barne Estate" and is owned by Mr & Mrs Thompson Moore.There is info in the internet but it is a bit scatterd so I will leave it to yourself to google etc.

The other house is closer to the roundabout( about 2 hundred metres from it) with typical "country house" gates, you cant miss it !. The house is not visible from the road though.It used be owned by a Mister John Watson who actually represented Ireland at the Olympics in 1976 and 1988 in 3 day eventing

Vizzy wrote: »
    The house you refer to is known as "Barne" or " Barne Estate" and is owned by Mr & Mrs Thompson Moore.There is info in the internet but it is a bit scatterd so I will leave it to yourself to google etc.

The other house is closer to the roundabout( about 2 hundred metres from it) with typical "country house" gates, you cant miss it !. The house is not visible from the road though.It used be owned by a Mister John Watson who actually represented Ireland at the Olympics in 1976 and 1988 in 3 day eventing

http://landedestates.nuigalway.ie:8080/LandedEstates/jsp/property-show.jsp?id=3913

This link has some info on the estate. I know the owner drinks in the local pub, he's a mate of my dad's so will try and find out a bit more.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Think some Germans own it but they've been living there for years. It's also on the right, well off the road and has a lake/pond at the front.

I would have guessed that since Moores had the place built about 300 years ago and that line was still living in it 75 years ago that the existing Moores were part of the same family?

I used to have notes on this but I can't find them right now.

I think the house was built for Stephen Moore who was born in 1770 and was the 1st Earl Mountcashell (Cashell). His ancestor was Richard Moore who was the High Sheriff Waterford in 1666, the year of the great fire of London. The entire line is supposed to come from Thomas de Moore who stepped off a boat on the coast of England in 1066 with his buddy William :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

I know the owner drinks in the local pub, he's a mate of my dad's so will try and find out a bit more.

At Barne Lodge ?

The Internet says that his name might be Major Colin N. R. Thomson-Moore of Barne, Clonmel. A Major (retired) in the Irish Guards.

Ponster wrote: »
    I would have guessed that since Moores had the place built about 300 years ago and that line was still living in it 75 years ago that the existing Moores were part of the same family?

Apologies, I was misinformed about there being Germans living there. Yes the people who live there are Thompson Moore and are descendants of the original line who built the house.

Ponster wrote: »
    At Barne Lodge ?

The Internet says that his name might be Major Colin N. R. Thomson-Moore of Barne, Clonmel. A Major (retired) in the Irish Guards.

Yes, in Barne Lodge. Don't know what his name is but think it's the adult son who runs the estate now.

Advertisement