Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rose water Vs witch hazel

• 20-05-2012 3:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 573 ✭✭✭

Ok I bought some witch hazel to put on after I shave...how much do i apply??

I also have rose water .....has anyone ever tried rose water??

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Very easily, just splash some witch hazel onto your hands and apply to your face after shaving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭MuffinsDa

I use rose water for cooking all the time, and my wife uses it as a face and body splash.

It may be a bit too feminine of a smell as an aftershave, and also AFAIK it doesn't have a huge amount of astringent or restorative properties.

By the way, If you have an Asian or Muslim shop near you, do NOT buy rose water from pharmacies. The best rosewater is sold in those shop, particularly a brand from iran called 1&1 which comes in large glass bottles (250ml) and is only a couple of euros. It's champagne of rosewaters!

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭MetalBren

I've taken to using Speick aftershave. Its smells great and is really soothing, maybe you might want to try it out :)
    http://www.shaving.ie/products/Speick-After-Shave-Lotion-with-Witch-Hazel.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

MuffinsDa wrote: »
    By the way, If you have an Asian or Muslim shop near you, do NOT buy rose water from pharmacies. The best rosewater is sold in those shop, particularly a brand from iran called 1&1 which comes in large glass bottles (250ml) and is only a couple of euros. It's champagne of rosewaters!

Investment (if reports are accurate) has more than one Muslim shop nearby. We are waiting anxiously for the latest updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 maria adama

I use rose water for cooking all the time, and my wife uses it as a face and body splash.

It may be a bit too feminine of a smell as an aftershave, and also AFAIK it doesn't have a huge amount of astringent or restorative properties.

Also you can ask for gulab water or gulab jal this is also a good brand in rose water or you can ask for dabur gulabri.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Thayers seems to have gone down a dark path of late, it isn't 'just' witch hazel any more.. they're formulated towards shaving with extras etc, which I don't want.. are there any other brands that are 'no messing' witch hazel, with some simplicity and purity, not angled towards any particular use?

Feel free to point out if I'm being unfair to Thayers, point me in the direction of their simplest\purest formulation.

MuffinsDa, I'm intrigued by the 1&1, I'll keep an eye out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Looks like they still have the plain witch hazel still on their site, with or without alcohol
    http://www.thayers.com/store/?main_page=index&cPath=3

I tend to use the witch hazel with aloe vera one.

Edit, I herb still have the original in stock http://www.iherb.com/m/Thayers

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭R33F

investment wrote: »
    Ok I bought some witch hazel to put on after I shave...how much do i apply??

I also have rose water .....has anyone ever tried rose water??

I have not tried Rose Water, although can answer your question on Witch Hazel.

With most witch hazel products you can apply with a cotton wool ball, as you only need a small amount.

Several brands have an after shave balm / toner that will sooth your face, leaving it fresh, with the smell only lasting a limited time as to not affect your EdT.

This is the link to the Witch Hazel I am currently using. I apply a small amount with a cotton wool ball as I do use alot of it.

I find witch hazel products great (summer-ish), and suit my summer (warmer weather) shave creams, and not affect my EdT / Colognes.

Try a sampler pack of a product / brand & if you can, that way you can find the ones you like, you also then have several small bottles for your Dopp Bag when travelling.

[Note to Mod: I inserted the witch hazel product into a link as to not 'advertise' the products name. If this is not allowed please notify / remove link as it was only intended to give reference and help]

Cheers,

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Calraigh B

Hi, I'm desperate to try out this rosewater- it's an absolute saviour for my skin but I'm finding it really difficult to get good quality rosewater in Dublin. Do you have any advice for buying 1&1 anywhere? It's on Amazon but they don't seem to ship to Ireland. Any help would be great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

The larger Boots stores stock the "Pharmacy Brand"' rosewater, haven't used it myself but see it beside the witch hazel.

Thayer's do a witch hazel and rosewater
    http://www.iherb.com/m/Thayers-Rose-Petal-Witch-Hazel-with-Aloe-Vera-Formula-Alcohol-Free-Toner-12-fl-oz-355-ml/6792?at=0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Calraigh B

The larger Boots stores stock the "Pharmacy Brand"' rosewater, haven't used it myself but see it beside the witch hazel.

Thanks for getting back to me! It's actually specifically the 1&1 brand I'm looking for, or an equivalent- the Pharmacy Brand line is pretty useless, imo.

Advertisement