Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fans Running 100% all the time

Options
  • 20-05-2012 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭

Hi
    Recently built a new rig and changed the stock cooler on the i7 3770K to a Corsair H60 Hydro Cooler.
    Everthing seemed Ok before the change apart from some temps. The H60 sorted that out when installed.
    The problem is that, when I started the PC for the first time all the fans were very loud. I checked the speeds with asus Fan Expert and everyone of them is running 100%, the H60 fan (connected to the CPU header) is running at 2735rpm.
    I have tried changing the settings in the BIOS (Asus P8Z68-v/Gen3 Mobo) and still nothing, all running 100%.
    There are 3 monitored fans, CPU, CHA_fan1 and 2. I've tried manual settings and factory defaults. Could the fan controller on the MB be faulty?
    When the PC starts, the 2 CHA_ fans turn off and I have to manually turn them on through fan expert.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

Sup08 wrote: »
    Hi
    Recently built a new rig and changed the stock cooler on the i7 3770K to a Corsair H60 Hydro Cooler.
    Everthing seemed Ok before the change apart from some temps. The H60 sorted that out when installed.
    The problem is that, when I started the PC for the first time all the fans were very loud. I checked the speeds with asus Fan Expert and everyone of them is running 100%, the H60 fan (connected to the CPU header) is running at 2735rpm.
    I have tried changing the settings in the BIOS (Asus P8Z68-v/Gen3 Mobo) and still nothing, all running 100%.
    There are 3 monitored fans, CPU, CHA_fan1 and 2. I've tried manual settings and factory defaults. Could the fan controller on the MB be faulty?
    When the PC starts, the 2 CHA_ fans turn off and I have to manually turn them on through fan expert.

Any ideas?
    Get a fan controller?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Sup08

But that won't fix the issue of the fans stopping on windows loading.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

But that won't fix the issue of the fans stopping on windows loading.

It would fix that if you put the fans on a fan controller as the motherboard would then have no control over them

deceit wrote: »
    It would fix that if you put the fans on a fan controller as the motherboard would then have no control over them

OK, I see, but do you think the fan controller is faulty?

Also are fan controllers suitable for CPU fans adn temps or are they just for the case temps?
    Any recommendations for a fan controller?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Digy123

OK, I see, but do you think the fan controller is faulty?

Also are fan controllers suitable for CPU fans adn temps or are they just for the case temps?
    Any recommendations for a fan controller?

Thanks
    The NZXT Sentry 2 is a very nice and cheap fan controller for about 20 euro it can control 5 fans and you can connect them to any fan not just case ones :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Paul_OB

I presume you have installed all the drivers correctly and tried updating the bios ? Most fans will hit 100% when the pc is started.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I've found that the BIOS control for fans on Asus boards often don't seem to work well. :-/

Speedfan usually does, but the fans won't be labelled - you'll have to listen and figure out which is which.

Paul_OB wrote: »
    I presume you have installed all the drivers correctly and tried updating the bios ? Most fans will hit 100% when the pc is started.

All the drivers are installed although the CD/DVD that came with the MB was faulty and I had to copy it and install it from a virtual drive. The fans hit 100% all the time, no matter what I set in the BIOS or the Asus Fan Xpert program.
    Monotype wrote: »
    I've found that the BIOS control for fans on Asus boards often don't seem to work well. :-/

Speedfan usually does, but the fans won't be labelled - you'll have to listen and figure out which is which.

Download this and will give it a go, but I've requested an RMA for the MB as it's just too much at this stage for a new build. Haveing a problem starting the PC now with a RAM led showing on the Board. I have the BIOS updated to the latest version and still nothing better.

I will just get a board that is native to Ivy Bridge although I really liked this board and it came with everything I wanted. Its been removed for sale with Komplett, that's were I bought it.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Tij da feen

Update the BIOS. Go to the ASUS website and find the latest BIOS update for your mobo.

Tried Speedfan and still no joy, speed of the CPU fan will not go slower than 2700rpm, the noise is a pain. I can't bear to have the PC on for more than 10 minutes.

Update the BIOS. Go to the ASUS website and find the latest BIOS update for your mobo.

I updated the MB to the latest firmware last night and done nothing but casue the start-up issue, I downgraded this evening and I am able to start the PC with no issues but the Fans.

I'm uploading a video to you tube just to show you the noise I'm getting. I do have the case open to the side but it should never be this noisy.

http://youtu.be/blFNjY47O5s

• Advertisement

Hmonitor Version 4.5.3.2 Pro 456F686A
    (Trial)
    H/W diagnostics info:
    Windows 7 x64 Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1
    Manufacturer: ASUSTeK Computer INC.
    Board model: P8Z68-V GEN3
    Version: Rev 1.xx
    BIOS vendor: American Megatrends Inc.
    BIOS version: 3201, Release date: 02/15/2012
    Chipset: Intel Z68
    Vendor ID: 844D1043
    SouthBridge: 1C448086
    SMB port used: F000
    CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz
    CPUId:0-6-A-9
    Cores:4
    Internal Freq=3511.0 MHz
    External Freq=702.20 MHz
    Multiplier=5.0
    SystemBus Freq=702.2 MHz
    Thermo control configuration:
    Full Throttle:100.0%
    AMD Low Power mode:Disabled
    Device:CPU1 Throttle:25.0% Enable at:70.0°C Disable at:65.0°C
    Main Sensor: NCT6776F
    Poll intervals: Sensors=5 sec, HDDs=5 min, Warnings=5 sec
    EventLog: Disabled, C:\Program Files (x86)\Hmonitor\EventLog.txt
    DataLog: Disabled, C:\Program
    Loginterval=1 min, LogRotation=Never

Monitored data values:
    Mainboard=28.0°C (0,Thermistor,0.0°C)
    CPU1=30.0°C (1,PECI,0.0°C)
    CPU2=31.0°C (0,Thermistor,0.0°C)
    PSU=28.0°C (0,Thermistor,0.0°C)
    Chassis=816 rpm
    CPU1=2755 rpm
    CPU2=xxxx rpm
    Power=934 rpm
    Core=+0.97V
    Aux=+1.82V
    +3.3V=+3.33V
    +5V=+5.08V
    +12V=+11.94V
    -12V=-xx.xxV
    -5V=-x.xxV
    HDD1 temp=30.0°C OCZ-AGILITY3 2.15 ATA
    HDD2 temp=29.0°C SAMSUNGHD103SJ 1AJ1 ATA
    HDD3 temp=26.0°C SAMSUNGHD204UI 1AQ1 ATA
    VGA device: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti
    VGA Device ID: 124410DE,83C21043.A1
    VGA Acceleration Level: 0
    VGA sensor: ForceWare
    VGA GPU=38.0°C
    VGA Env=xx.x°C
    VGA Fan=1320 rpm (xx%)
    VGA Core=+x.xxV
    VGA Bus=+x.xxV

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Paul_OB

H60 install video
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HO9APx2yKrg
    • The H60's fan, a four pin PWM controlled model, must be connected to the four pin CPU Fan connector on the mother board.
    • the H60's pump, should be connected to a three pin fan header on your mother board could be named POWER/PWR Fan provides 100% constantly

updating bios/drivers

disable fan monitor/controller in bios

if nothing works or you cant get a solution use a hammer (return board get newer z77 model)

Paul_OB wrote: »
    H60 install video
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HO9APx2yKrg
    • The H60's fan, a four pin PWM controlled model, must be connected to the four pin CPU Fan connector on the mother board.
    • the H60's pump, should be connected to a three pin fan header on your mother board could be named POWER/PWR Fan provides 100% constantly
    updating bios/drivers

disable fan monitor/controller in bios

if nothing works or you cant get a solution use a hammer (return board get newer z77 model)

As far as I can remember both pump and fan on the H60 have only 3 pin connectors. I'll check later this evening. But they are definately connected correctly, Fan is connected to CPU_Fan and the pump to a Pwr_Fan header.

Seemingly a faulty fan is a common problem with the H60. Came a cross this in the last thread in their cooling forum.

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=102174

RMA's have been approved for the H60 and MB, so I will update the MB to a Z77 and maybe another brand of cooler.

Thanks for allthe suggestions.

Sorted, running CPU fan on CHA, running normal 120mm fan on CPU header to stop fan error and all other fans going good.

Will purchase a fan controller in the near future to ensure it's all sorted.

If I ever upgrade the cooling system, I must ensure the CPU_FAN has a 4 pin connection for speed control.

All RMA's are cancelled (for now..lol).

Thanks for all the help.

Advertisement