Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Geriatrics who can cure thrush and warts

• 20-05-2012 4:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭

Have you ever come across these irritating stories whereby people actually believe that old men and women can cure the thrush, warts, bleeding and so forth. Then, there's the famous 'Seventh son of the seventh son' rubbish as well;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seventh_son_of_a_seventh_son#Ireland

How can people believe such BS???????????????????????? These wizards always seem to cure conditions that would otherwise go away itself or with a few common medicines. When these geriatrics start curing cancer, autoimmune diseases or death, then I'll listen.

ARRRHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Because some people become completely retarded when desperate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

There are several alleged cases of an Irish healer in Scranton, Pennsylvania.

Dwight Schrute?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Have you ever come across these irritating stories whereby people actually believe that old men and women can cure the thrush, warts, bleeding and so forth. Then, there's the famous 'Seventh son of the seventh son' rubbish as well;

How can people believe such BS???????????????????????? These wizards always seem to cure conditions that would otherwise go away itself or with a few common medicines. When these geriatrics start curing cancer, autoimmune diseases or death, then I'll listen.

You should find out where they live and go round to harass them and the people trying to have their warts cured.. science demands it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

My uncle is the seventh son of a seventh son. While I fully believe he may have the power to cause a few maladies, including those mentioned, I can't imagine a universe where he would be a source of healing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

While I don't believe it I don't see any harm in others believing it and certainly wouldn't be upset or agitated by others believing it. Why does it bother you?

• Advertisement

While I don't believe it I don't see any harm in others believing it and certainly wouldn't be upset or agitated by others believing it. Why does it bother you?

Because it's like religion, giving old people something to put all their hope and belief in that doesn't exist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

I was goin to ask were you an athiest but I thought it wouldn't be relevant, you clearly are. Again I can't see how someone else's beliefs can cause such aggrivation in your life. Something must be missing...... Perhaps god :)

Seriously though why does it gaul you so much

I was goin to ask were you an athiest but I thought it wouldn't be relevant, you clearly are. Again I can't see how someone else's beliefs can cause such aggrivation in your life. Something must be missing...... Perhaps god :)

Good guess, but wrong. (Also, thanks for the offer :pac:).

I'm just liking someone who wants to believe in a BS cure to someone who wants to believe that they'll get in to heaven. So I wanted to come at it from that angle. I really didn't want to derail the thread! (Apologies). It's like those psychics (one woman in particular) that feed on the gullibility of the desperate and emotionally distraught. I find it vile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Is it just the geriatric ones that annoy you?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

They have it all wrong. It's the 8th son of an 8th son that is a wizard.

The 8th son of an 8th son of an 8th son is then a sorcerer.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭MisterEpicurus

It only becomes annoying once you tell these ignorant people the alternative and more likely explanations - [the ACTUAL explanations] - and they ignore it because the old woman/man happened to be nice and friendly and because the condition just happened to go away coincidentally.

And some of this isn't as innocent as this. There have been many many cases where parents ignored conventional therapy to see lunatics instead where the child died. So while I'm pointing out the slightly innocent examples, it can and has become sinister.

I think that's 2 good reasons for getting agitated by this crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

chin_grin wrote: »
    Because it's like religion, giving old people something to put all their hope and belief in that doesn't exist.

And what is the harm in that? If it gives old people comfort and peace in their old age why would you be against it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,676 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

KeithM89 wrote: »
    Dwight Schrute?

Mad Dog from the A team?:confused:

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

galwayrush wrote: »
    Is it just the geriatric ones that annoy you?

In a much slower way.

And what is the harm in that? If it gives old people comfort and peace in their old age why would you be against it?

I'd be shocked if there was actually an atheist who believed this medical crap, I'd place my bets that all these idiots are actually religious believers as well. Doesn't set a good intellectual precedent does it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I wouldn't trust Rincewind to cure a wart.

Stupid notions. There is a harm in believing this stuff when it comes to anything medical and it's harmful when people try to fob ignorance onto others. Silly stupid notions. They do annoy me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

My mom went to one of those guys when she had cancer.
    She also went to knock.
    She still died.
    I don't believe in anything religious or mystical, but if I was dying of some disease, I don't know - I just might try anything.

I don't believe in anything religious or mystical, but if I was dying of some disease, I don't know - I just might try anything.

You've summed up quite tersely how religion has persisted for so long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,725 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

I am very sceptical of all these mystical/magical powers. However as a kid a guy my dad knew rubbed a 50 pence piece on a wart I had for years and couldn't get rid of. He said he would buy it from me and gave me the 50p. Within a week it had withered and died and fell off completely.

I know of another guy who claims to have the cure of burns, but the "cure" involves the burn being licked by this guy.

So who knows, I for one may not believe but belief in itself can be a powerful force.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    So who knows, I for one may not believe but belief in itself can be a powerful force.
    In most tests two placebos work better than one, and a salt water injection is even better.

And that's when the people in the test know that it's all placebos.

TLC and empathy work well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

In most tests two placebos work better than one, and a salt water injection is even better.

I had a wart on my finger when I was a kid and an aunt gave me 50p for it. It was gone in a couple of days and it was no placebo because I'm pretty sure she was a witch.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The healer doesn't cure their disease, but the person thinks they have, and thus don't goto their doctor, or stops taking their medication, etc, and dies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,663 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

50p! Showing my age here but my Mum sold my wart for a penny. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

50p! Showing my age here but my Mum sold my wart for a penny. :(

That's not showing your age, that's just showing your Mam up for being a cheapskate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Heard about this you get in a 'healing pool' with em, basically about 15ft diameter 3ft deep and they usher in some therepuetic dolphins and apparently.. could be wrong ere n I'll have to check my facts but apparently a combination if unique enzymes in their piss work together to deal with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

I’m sure people have been cured in this way but anyone who is cured by this can put it down to the placebo effect. A placebo can often provide better results than medication and the medical profession is still unsure as to how they work, most think that the importance of perception and the brain's role in physical health are the reasons treatments like this might actually work. The effect is unreliable and unpredictable and cannot form the sole basis of any treatment but can help. If a person believes strongly enough that they will be cured as a result of something often they will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

My sister had a patch of psoriasis on her elbow for over 25 years. It ranged from inflamed to nasty to seriously inflamed. A woman she worked worked with at one stage asked her to give her a photo of herself and she'd take it to a faith healing circle she was in. My sister handed it over and promptly forgot about it thinking what a load of bull. About a month later the woman asked her how her elbow was, she replied crap as usual, rolling up her sleeve only to realise that there wasn't a trace of it left. That was 20 years ago and she has been so completely free of it that it took nearly two years for the consultant to diagnosis the particular type of arthritis she has because the psoriasis evidence wasn't there. True story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

british geriatrics have to be the most annoying.... they all seem to drivel on and on about "the war". it was nearly 70 years ago... for christ sake we are bored of hearing about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

british geriatrics have to be the most annoying.... they all seem to drivel on and on about "the war". it was nearly 70 years ago... for christ sake we are bored of hearing about it.

What war?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

rgmmg wrote: »
    What war?

wwii

your dementia ruining your memory? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭wilson10

Don't mention the war.

Advertisement