Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Door to door begging

• 20-05-2012 5:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭

I hope this thread doesn't exist yet, at least I couldn't find any existing one on this topic.
    Does anyone else live in an area where people frequently ring your door bell begging for money? I moved within Dublin last year and I am getting quite annoyed with the number of people who turn up at our house pretending to be from some sort of charity organisation or being illiterate and thus incapable of working. In the case of the "charity worker" the person at the door was a toothless guy in a tracksuit who reeked of alcohol and turned quite aggressive when we refused any donations. The illiterate counterpart was not aggressive but has been to our house twice within a couple of months, and it is actually getting quite annoying.
    I have heard about the anti-begging laws regarding public begging around ATMs and shops, but never heard of any restrictions about door to door begging? Does anyone know if I can ring the police when bogus collectors turn up or are they within their rights to annoy me?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

jebus .... just invite the guy in ...cuppa tea.... sandwich and open your wallet ...ya miser :D

(hate them and soooo glad I dont live in Dublin....I nearly caught poor off one of them once !!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Pedant

I don't know if begging should be illegal. However, if you don't want to give them money I think you have every right just to tell them to get the fuck off your property before you call the Gardaí because they're trespassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

i live in dublin and i haven't seen this in years. i lived in kildare for a good few years and saw it more there but that was maybe 5 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Photocopy a load of tenners on coloured paper to hand out to them.

Or answer the door knaked and holding a carving knife but act politely while fixing them with deranged stares.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

what would Jesus do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭criticalcritic

I live in Dublin and grew up in Cabra and never heard of people knocking at doors asking for money.
    I think your mistaking people collecting for charity who sometimes look worse for wear but doesnt make them bad people, theur certainly not looking for free money

Sounds like anti-Dub bias to me

Dont worry love we're not all thieves and beggers like some of the stories you probably heard in the cow shed growing up

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

forfuxsake wrote: »
    what would Jesus do?

Whatever that two faced prick does, I'll do the complete opposite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

forfuxsake wrote: »
    what would Jesus do?

do they have beggars in mexico...????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Why would you answer the door anyway? :confused:

I answer my door for nobody unless I'm expecting someone and they can ring ahead

If it's an emergency well they can shout for help but otherwise they will be ignored

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 45 Smithey88

I do get the same. People knocking on doors claiming to be from some random charity, or better yet the ones from the 'war on drugs campaign' - always some skanger dude with a tracksuit on. Often not even willing to buy a clipboard to complete the con.

Lazy conmen these days I tell ya :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭darragh16

A deaf fella knocked at the door one time with a little card written out begging for money. I mouthed no and shook me head. He persisted and I kept shaking me head and started to close the door.

Me older brother then came to the door while your man down the drive way and roared "Here, how much are ye looking for?" Then deaf beggar then turned back around and start walking back up but then stopped knowing he f*cked up and walked off!

Then when he was at a house a few doors down, he roared down "He's not really deaf" and the chap looked around at us again. He was obviously new at the whole thing. We had a great laugh with it though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

I hope this thread doesn't exist yet, at least I couldn't find any existing one on this topic.
    Does anyone else live in an area where people frequently ring your door bell begging for money? I moved within Dublin last year and I am getting quite annoyed with the number of people who turn up at our house pretending to be from some sort of charity organisation or being illiterate and thus incapable of working. In the case of the "charity worker" the person at the door was a toothless guy in a tracksuit who reeked of alcohol and turned quite aggressive when we refused any donations. The illiterate counterpart was not aggressive but has been to our house twice within a couple of months, and it is actually getting quite annoying.
    I have heard about the anti-begging laws regarding public begging around ATMs and shops, but never heard of any restrictions about door to door begging? Does anyone know if I can ring the police when bogus collectors turn up or are they within their rights to annoy me?

Ring the police, though they might want a bit of spare change too..

I dunno , maybe have a dump on your doorstep or leave a dead cat on your drive way.

Does anyone know if I can ring the police when bogus collectors turn up or are they within their rights to annoy me?

Yes you can

They need a permit

They won't do anything just on your call but if all your neighbours are calling the station too then they'll step in

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I get someone calling to my door at least twice a week asking for money.
    I politely tell them (the first time) "No thanks" - after that, if they call back - and some actually do weeks later, I get stronger in expression.
    The wife when she answers the door and finds there there begging again, just calls for me to deal with them.
    I do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

"tinkers", as they were known, used to call round to my parents gaf and ask in hushed tones for "a little help, ma'am" from my mother. They used to accept food and bits & bobs by way of help as well as cash. Then the next traveller generation shunned anything but hard cash donations and eventually stopped coming. Then Roma started begging at the home of an elderly relative, very aggressive, shouting through the letter box and banging on the door if he didnt answer. They did that when I was visiting once, the young girls cursing at my relative through the letterbox, I rushed out and told them to leave. Their male minder squared up to me, I'm not big or tough or in any way intimidating but I flipped out, making some outrageous threats and they ****ed off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭little swift

tell them nothing give the nothing and move them on.and if they knock again ring the garda because my hunch is they are casing the area to see if there is anybody home and if there no one home. well then ya know the rest of the story.

"tinkers", as they were known, used to call round to my parents gaf and ask in hushed tones for "a little help, ma'am" from my mother. They used to accept food and bits & bobs by way of help as well as cash.

Yep, decent folk
    And if you had a farm and wanted something metal fixed they were very skilled and could fix it up good as new.
    They were poor and needed good relations with the locals

The current boyos seems to have plently.
    Give them welfare and it becomes an entitlement and won't give a fook about people in their area, give them a lobby group and they'll call discrimination on anyone.
    Shut down the rural garda stations and robberies will shoot up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 478 ✭✭revz

I live in Dublin and grew up in Cabra and never heard of people knocking at doors asking for money.
    I think your mistaking people collecting for charity who sometimes look worse for wear but doesnt make them bad people, theur certainly not looking for free money

Dont worry love we're not all thieves and beggers like some of the stories you probably heard in the cow shed growing up

Funny you should mention Cabra, I was there in my friends just last week and two roma gypsy women knocked on the door....he shouted for his mam to go to the door and I was saying he should just say she's not in and close the door and he said "no we give them money every week"; I was asking him why and he said "I dno, we just always have." So I saw it happening anywho.

I haven't had any beggars call in to our house, just charity folk/people selling me sky or airtricity or something, which has increased so much in the last while that I've stopped answering the door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I've never had anyone just begging, but I do get the odd one looking to sell me carpets. They like to send people with Down's Syndrome to the door, looking for the sympathy sell, which I think is scummy in the extreme. A simple "no" and a door shut in the face seems to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

Sorry to hijack the thread but I have had a recent similar experience;
    A man and a woman knocked on my door with clipboards. The man explained he was collecting for drug rehabilitation clinics in the inner city and outreach programs and the like. I said fair enough and asked him for ID and registered charity number. He showed me an ID card of sorts but said he doesn't have a registered charity number, that he works for a private company. I asked if private company's were permitted to raise funds in this manner and of course he said yes. Does anyone know if this is true? Shouldn't they require a registered charity number or something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

I remember in a place I worked in in Dublin about 12 years ago, this woman came to the door, (it was a place you had to ring a bell to get access to). She was I'd say mid fifties or so, well dressed and Irish, she was by no means a skanger. She wanted money because her bag had been robbed she said. My boss gave her £20 and she went on her way, I never saw her again.

But what struck me was, we were quite close to Store Street Garda station; why didn't she go there? And why did she choose my place of work, there were lots of other easily accessible places such as pubs and shops.

Folk are strange :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Battered Mars Bar

Live in a rural area where the GAA cronies are constantly harassing people for money door to door. The local town fools that have somehow elevated themselves above the other village idiots that come looking for money for this that and the other...nothing small now mind, we're taking 20 quid a pop. Of course everyone gets guilted into paying, small rural area where the village idiots have nothing better to do than gossip about an upstart who won't oblige in lining the pockets of some middleaged overweight GAA knobend driving around in a merc with his cronies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭MisterEpicurus

All these tramps should be hired by some council body, and work as a unit to clean a particularly filthy area of town, preferably the area they made filthy. Then they are paid 1 euro a day, so they can buy a cheese burger in McDonalds. By eating all these burgers everyday, they'll hopefully develop obesity and diabetes. Then they die, without reproducing, and all tramps have been removed from society.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭Archeron

Invite them in, lock them in the basement and when you have a big enough group, film your own version of a scabby wretched come dine with me. Sell the tape to tv3 and everyone is happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭LisaLee

I don't like answering the door if I'm alone in the house, so I either check and see who it is out the upstairs window, or bring our lovely Rottie to the door to see who the visitor is :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

If they are genuinely from a charity they should have ID. You can ring the gardai and report them, I know of someone who was arrested for begging door to door pretending to be from a charity.

Someone said above about a man who pretended to be deaf, this used to happen in my area too. He would beg on the street though, not door to door, but it turned out he was going to the betting shop with the money & wasn't really deaf.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭hellyeah

mikemac1 wrote: »

I answer my door for nobody unless I'm expecting someone and they can ring ahead

If it's an emergency well they can shout for help but otherwise they will be ignored

as above i never answer the door. its only ever for money or bord gais, electric ireland etc. If its someone i know they will have my number and
    ring me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Br4tPr1nc3

Muir wrote: »
    If they are genuinely from a charity they should have ID. You can ring the gardai and report them, I know of someone who was arrested for begging door to door pretending to be from a charity.

this is almost right, if they are genuine, they will have a genuine id which will have their name, address, supervisors name and number, aswell as the charity's info such as charity number.

they also HAVE to have the charity's permit, which states what the charity is allowed to do in order to collect, such as street collecting, door to door and what not.

if they "weren't given a permit or lost it, dont need one" then you can bet they're fake.
    ask for the permit rather than the id.
    the id can be easily faked.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Personally I'm very happy with this new door to door service. For too long I've had to go into town for my begging needs to be fulfilled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭RaRaRasputin

Sorry to destroy your little Dub world, but Dublin is the only place I have lived at in Ireland so far. And I have lived in places bigger than the population of Ireland, so I'm not sure of your argument counts ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

If you were any good you would turn the situation around and end up convincing them to give you some cash instead. Give it a go.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

People treat answering the door like some kind of legal obligation. If I don't like the look of someone through the glass, I may well let them fuck off or stand there as long as they like. I remember thinking years ago "Oh shit, they've seen me, now I *have* to answer!" I don't know where that comes from, but I got over that too.
    Cheeky shower of bolloxes expecting us to put up with their shite... junk mail too... what gives them the right to put what is essentially litter through my front door?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Derekmcauley7

An unopened door is a happy door. :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

My house has been empty for the past 2 months on & off ; I've been having works done.
    I'm here sometimes; but mostly not. The blinds & curtains are all shut.
    Yesterday there was a knock at the door ( I was in the back with a tradesguy & my big dog on a leash) I went to the door & this woman just opened it & rushed in as I came out. I was so shocked. I went to the door shouting get out of my house; dog going nits & she rushed at me & kept coming . We ended up chest to chest. I repeated same about 5 times ; the tradesguy followed out & he then shouted get out of my way I want to leave ; she backed out & I shut the door on her as she left. She then stuck her foot in the door & I had to push her out & slam & lock the door.
    The tradesguy drove off down the road.
    Here's the big bit. I rang the gaurds ; Dublin: SHAKINg & totally shocked & left alone innthe house & they refused to come out or send a car.

Un-****ing believable.
    Dublin.
    Don't open the door; just wave them off. If they break in the useless gaurds will want you to drive down to the station to make a statement while she returns to finish off the burglary. Or gets the knife out off her head on drugs to have a second go.

Don't start me.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭funnilenough

ah ,but remember that homeless dude that jumped into the Liffey and saved that bus from drowning?sure they're a grand bunch of lads,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

This womnwas far From Homeless.
    Particularly as she was Trying To take roost in my house.

Point is; don't be bothering about licenses & permissions.
    Or the useless gaurds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

darragh16 wrote: »
    A deaf fella knocked at the door one time with a little card written out begging for money. I mouthed no and shook me head. He persisted and I kept shaking me head and started to close the door.

Me older brother then came to the door while your man down the drive way and roared "Here, how much are ye looking for?" Then deaf beggar then turned back around and start walking back up but then stopped knowing he f*cked up and walked off!

Then when he was at a house a few doors down, he roared down "He's not really deaf" and the chap looked around at us again. He was obviously new at the whole thing. We had a great laugh with it though!

Just because you roar at someone who claims to be deaf and they turn does not mean the person is not deaf.

Not sure of the percentage, but a lot of deaf people can hear noises, so somebody shouting closeby would have an impact on their hearing and they would turn.

I'm not saying this person was or wasn't genuinely deaf, but just to let people know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

In Limerick and I had a guy standing at my door earlier looking for money for those two fellas that died in steam boat quay recently....ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

An old traveller lady used to call to our door, really nice woman she was too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭dillo2k10

I never give people anything anymore if they knock at the door. If they are selling something I will always buy it though, even if it is a ****ty candle for €10.

Lately I've also been getting calls from charity's asking to sign up to a direct debit! They are very persesant . . . Especially that Belongto charity standup.ie they just won't fuc off, I had to block them on my phone . . .

I remember those people when I was a kid just looking for anything, old clothes, canned food etc we always gave them something . . . They should just come back . . . It was so much easier then

I still do that when they see me, it's like oh damn, they seen me now I'm compelled to open the door and see what they want . . . I usually open the door anyway my friends don't call ahead we just show up :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

To be fair, he can't read the address :pac:

When a traveller lady calls to your front door her son is likely out the back scoping out your property

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

A lad about 16 called to my door about a month ago and asked would I sponsor him for his football tournament. For many reasons I deicided to turn down that opportunity. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I get people coming to ask me to sponsor them to go swimming, or I had someone last week ask me for a donation so he could go 'charity parachuting' I just said **** off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

We get an aul one round the door every saturday morning. She gets a box of tea, pack of bikkies and whatever else is lying about.

Or at least thats wat she would get if i was bothered getting the door. Twisting the blinds is easier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

We get a lot of secondary school children around looking for sponsorship for some thing or other. I never give them anything because i used to do that and drink the money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

there was this one fella, used to say "any chocoleh biccies"

kid drives an ambulance now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

mikemac1 wrote: »

^^This.

There's no reason to answer the door. It's always someone collecting for something, religious freaks or sales reps. If you're expecting someone over then you'll know it's them or if someone is dropping in on you tell them to ring ahead.

• Advertisement
Advertisement