Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Door to door begging

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Roma the ones to watch, My elderly aunt "befriended" this mother and child that would call around, she would regularly invite them in. One day she got cleaned out of cash that she had around the house, luckily not too much. Gardai recommended Her family install a CCTV system. As soon as they did the problem stopped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭GTDolanator

there used to be a gang of teens that my sister went to school with,they would go around door to door on a friday after school with a fake sponsorship form to get money for gargle,they got caught tho.

I can remember the older generation of traveller calling at the door we used to give the tinned food and old clothes they were genuinley nice people.

Ive had those poxy gypsy scummers knock at the door,male or female i chase them away.I despise them ****ing dirty drain on society knack-bags

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭RaRaRasputin

I have to admit that in no other country I have come across this begging at the door or this traveller culture (I don't know for sure if the "deaf" guy was a traveller, so I won't count him as one now). I haven't encountered any Roma gypsies at the door yet, but when I was small they were around a lot and the police "confiscated" their children for begging, so they disappeared from the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

I hope this thread doesn't exist yet, at least I couldn't find any existing one on this topic.
    Does anyone else live in an area where people frequently ring your door bell begging for money? I moved within Dublin last year and I am getting quite annoyed with the number of people who turn up at our house pretending to be from some sort of charity organisation or being illiterate and thus incapable of working. In the case of the "charity worker" the person at the door was a toothless guy in a tracksuit who reeked of alcohol and turned quite aggressive when we refused any donations. The illiterate counterpart was not aggressive but has been to our house twice within a couple of months, and it is actually getting quite annoying.
    I have heard about the anti-begging laws regarding public begging around ATMs and shops, but never heard of any restrictions about door to door begging? Does anyone know if I can ring the police when bogus collectors turn up or are they within their rights to annoy me?

invest in and train a rottwieller or pitbull... you'll never see a beggar knocking on your door again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

invest in and train a rottwieller or pitbull... you'll never see a beggar knocking on your door again
    Any dog is a deterrant, if they'll bark. My two bark whenever they hear my gate opening, so no-one gets to my front door without me knowing about it, it can be annoying but it's worth it for the piece of mind. Theives hate noisy dogs.

Advertisement