Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

any tips and tricks for calves

• 20-05-2012 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

thought we should all share tips and tricks for rearing calves on the milk replacer and on cows or w/e. The end of the day they are all calves. :D

any traditions/tips or any advice for us farmers :rolleyes:

always willing ta learn :p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭thetiredfarmer

Best Tip I could give anyone is to use loads of straw.It keeps them clean dry and warm and alot cheaper than the Vet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Read the instructions on the milk replacer. Simple things like the difference in "addIng 2litres of water" or "making it up to 2 litres with water" can make a difference of about 10% in the concentration thus leading to scour which is the devil in sucks.

+1 on the straw. I read somewhere that if you can't kneel down for 10 seconds without getting wet then the bedding needs topping up.

Plenty of clean water. Wash out and replenish water daily, it needs to be FRESH water for calves to want to drink it.

Isolate any calf that is sick.

No sudden changes in diet, everything needs to be gradual. We even being in some grass to them for about a week before letting them out.

Be clean, we wash out buckets and teat drinkers at every feed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44 axel7

Great thread. Any advice for speeding up and making the feeding process more efficient. What are the margins like. Would ye say it's just as easy to feed let's say 30 as it is to feed 10. Get the feeling access to the outsides results in a big decrease in health problems, any thoughts ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ootbitb

you don't want to be mixing milk all summer so buy them all within a week or two... this helps also when feeding as they eat meal at the same rate.

be vigilant when you put them out as they are inclined to run straight for the nearest open drain:D

always graze them on the best grass you have and dose for worms monthly.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 farmerpaddy

yeah , straw is very important! :D

I always have a bottle of tetroxy LA lying around and a few needles if you see one of the calfs with a draw/breathing heavily or watery eyes. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

I think the teat feeders that have separate compartments are the best. It means that each calf gets its own full feed. I've noticed that some calves suck like mad and dont actually get anywhere while others gulp their full feed in seconds. While they are young I normally stand over them and make sure the greedy ones are pushed away from the slower drinkers. You can only be sure when they have their own compartments in the mild feeder.

Advertisement