Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Curragh WW1 Training trenches

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭R.Dub.Fusilier

That google picture is brilliant.

I did a quick lookup of the name on the headstone in the last photo and he was

William Peregrine O'Clery born in Glenties, Co. Donegal and was the son of Reverand C.A. and Sarah O'Clery from Co. Down . He was in the 15 battalion of the Irish Rifles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Florenceknight

My great uncle, George Frederick Allan Knight (reg number L9821) enlisted with the Royal Sussex regiment in January 2012 when he was fourteen years old. He was a bandsman, trained at the North Surrey District School, Annerley. This was an orphanage and he was there from the age of 9 or 10. The school records show him at Curragh that January and I am wondering if he enlisted there or whether he was sent there for initial training. I can't find any more records until he was mobilised in 1915. Any help would be gratefully received. Many thanks

• Site Banned Posts: 167 ✭✭Yakkyda

Great pics, but that one you say could be used, surely it's now where deep enough to be effective unless in a prone position? Unless it's a trick of the camera. I would think the min. depth would need to be at least 8ft if not more, it looks around two foot deep.
    Cool all the same, never knew they trained lad's for the trenches here(though of course it makes perfect sense, duh me!)

Sad to think the amount of lads that trained there either never came home or if they did, maimed or shell-shocked and most likely ostracised later because of the political situation that unfolded while they were away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Yakkyda wrote: »
    Great pics, but that one you say could be used, surely it's now where deep enough to be effective unless in a prone position? Unless it's a trick of the camera. I would think the min. depth would need to be at least 8ft if not more, it looks around two foot deep.
    Cool all the same, never knew they trained lad's for the trenches here(though of course it makes perfect sense, duh me!)

Sad to think the amount of lads that trained there either never came home or if they did, maimed or shell-shocked and most likely ostracised later because of the political situation that unfolded while they were away.

This might also interest you http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057368345

• Site Banned Posts: 167 ✭✭Yakkyda

"Quite a perspective of the Irish troops I have never had the grace to peruse, truly they were gallant and brave lad's indeed."

I'd imagine that would how it would be phrased back yonder.

Cheers, that was a good read.

• Advertisement
Advertisement