Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English HL Time Management

• 20-05-2012 6:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

Hey guys! I was wondering if you have any time guidelines to follow for english, paper 1 and paper 2. Time management is by far my weakest point so it'd be a great help :) I already tried making one for paper 2, it looks like this:

Hamlet - 60 mins
    Comparative - 60 mins
    Unseen - 20 mins
    Poetry - 60 mins

idk if that would be manageable though! And paper 1 can be tricky enough for time too.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

Hey guys! I was wondering if you have any time guidelines to follow for english, paper 1 and paper 2. Time management is by far my weakest point so it'd be a great help :) I already tried making one for paper 2, it looks like this:

Hamlet - 60 mins
    Comparative - 60 mins
    Unseen - 20 mins
    Poetry - 60 mins

idk if that would be manageable though! And paper 1 can be tricky enough for time too.

This paper is divided into 200 minutes for 200 marks. therefore, try and give each topic the recommended time
    Hamlet 60
    Comparative 70
    Poetry50
    Unseen20

But you know yourself that you might be able to save time on certain topics. also

LEAVE UNSEEN UNTIL LAST!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

ChemHickey wrote: »
    This paper is divided into 200 minutes for 200 marks. therefore, try and give each topic the recommended time
    Hamlet 60
    Comparative 70
    Poetry50
    Unseen20

But you know yourself that you might be able to save time on certain topics. also

LEAVE UNSEEN UNTIL LAST!

Wouldn't recommend leaving unseen until last. Easy 20 marks you could get in 10 mins approximately. It's practically a poetry comprehension.

Students in my class left unseen last and deeply regretted it when their prepared answers for studied poetry backfired and gave them only half the marks. They didn't have time left to finish in the end for some reason.

Absolutely do the unseen and bag your marks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Agreed, even if you have to rush it - 20 marks = one whole grade. If you were 9 marks off the next grade, it's pretty much guaranteed you'd get them there. Its worth having time spent on it, but of course it's still the least valuable part of the exam so dont overdo it. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Hamlet - 60 mins
    Comparative - 60 mins
    Unseen - 20 mins
    Poetry - 60 mins

I'd actually spend 50 minutes on the Poetry and use the additional 10 minutes for your comparative!

I practically rushed my unseen answer in the mock, didn't even read the poem properly, misread the title and analysed the poem incorrectly and managed to get 12 marks out of 20.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Cosmic.Postman

reznov wrote: »
    I practically rushed my unseen answer in the mock, didn't even read the poem properly, misread the title and analysed the poem incorrectly and managed to get 12 marks out of 20.

Cool story bro......needs more dragons 'n shít.

Cool story bro......needs more dragons 'n shít.

Ah dang. Let me rephrase it:

The unseen poetry is a bargain bin in terms of marks as long as a dragon doesn't decapitate your naive head. In the mock, I played the role of a dragon slayer and managed to conquer the hideous monstrosity with wings. Safe to say scored half the marks possible as I misread the whole poem.

Advertisement