Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Project Requirements Help!

Options
  • 20-05-2012 7:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I just started work work placement with an IT company. I study computer science in college. My job over the coming months with be to develope a number of scripts which will automatically handle many of their admin tasks. As part of this I've been asked to put together the Project Requirements. However Im unsure what to do! I've tried googling sample requirements but havent found anything helpful.

So my question is; what is the process for putting together requirements? What is generally expected to be included and how into detail should I go?

Any advise/tips will be very much appreciated! If you need more info please let me know.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Mr Bump

Katie
    It depends on what you are doing really, but follow the below

Scope
    Project justification
    Project product
    Project deliverables
    Project objectives

Hope that helps a small bit, :D

katie883 wrote: »
    I just started work work placement with an IT company. I study computer science in college. My job over the coming months with be to develope a number of scripts which will automatically handle many of their admin tasks. As part of this I've been asked to put together the Project Requirements. However Im unsure what to do! I've tried googling sample requirements but havent found anything helpful.

So my question is; what is the process for putting together requirements? What is generally expected to be included and how into detail should I go?

Any advise/tips will be very much appreciated! If you need more info please let me know.

Also provide costings and benefits ie savings, timelines etc, once you get into it you will be fine
    Mr Bump wrote: »
    Katie
    It depends on what you are doing really, but follow the below

Scope
    Project justification
    Project product
    Project deliverables
    Project objectives

Hope that helps a small bit, :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 katie883

Thanks for the reply. A lot of the things you mentioned I will be covering in the overall Project Plan (sorry probably should have stated that!). But specific to Project Requirements, what should that contain? Should I just give a brief description of each tool I want to develop? Or is there more required?

Keep the document simple, but make sure to include all necessary ... the technical functionalities required for a software development project
    Specific, but not prescriptive
    Do say exactly what needs to be included.
    Don’t say exactly how it needs to be achieved
    Measurable
    Do say how you will know that a requirement has been met
    Ownership of requirements
    Someone has to have the final say. If you are expecting an entire committee to sign off anything longer than a page, you are likely to end up in endless iterations. Agree with the that Person X is the ultimate authority and if they are happy then the requirements are signed off
    Walk it through
    Once you have a draft of what you think your script will make or are, walk through some typical uses, or changes / benefits this will bring. Some people use scenarios or use cases for this - where you map out all the players involved / steps involved and draw them out on a whiteboard. As you move through the process, ask yourself:
    • What am I assuming?
    • Can this task be achieved with these requirements?
    • Will it be obvious to someone reading these requirements that this task needs to be supported? / completed etc
    Getting requirements gathered and agreed is not an easy process, but if you can listen to what people are asking for and work with a strong requirements owner, then you’re halfway there. The rest is down to your ability to describe the needs in precise, unambiguous and specific language
    There is no real set format for this; you need to just develop it for what you are doing also for who you are doing it for, some people are into a lot of detail, some are not, they just want a mapped out process bullet pointed showing them a start / middles & end,
    Hope this helps a little
    Regards
    Mr Bump
    :D
    katie883 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. A lot of the things you mentioned I will be covering in the overall Project Plan (sorry probably should have stated that!). But specific to Project Requirements, what should that contain? Should I just give a brief description of each tool I want to develop? Or is there more required?

Advertisement