Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

price to remove a tree

Options
  • 20-05-2012 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭

hi everyone

i have to get a tree felled at the front of my house. it's the height of a telegraph pole. it would be nice if the wood could be chopped to size so i can burn it in the fire, but if it's cheaper it can be put into a woodchipper and removed.

does anyone know what would be about the right price for a job like that? it's in the south dublin area. also if anyone has a recommendation as to a good tree surgeon.

thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 156 ✭✭ymurtagh

try McGinty trees services, very good value and service 087-2630621

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭07734

Cool, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

What kind of tree is it?

just to follow up, i got two quotes, both for 300. job took about two hours. i have the details somewhere of the guy who did it, very professional, pm if you want them and i;ll dig them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Black Dog

Seems a reasonable quotation. I had three very large pine trees, 50 - 60 feet, removed at a cost of 1,200; completely removed, every last bit.

You might find someone who would remove the tree for free so as to get free timber. Might be worth putting a notice somewhere on Boards or making a few enquiries locally.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

We will need to get this done at some stage. Just wondering did they take the roots out too? Some years back we had a guy take a few trees out but all they did was kill the root and we were left with stumps at ground level. One of the stumps wasn't even properly killed off and continued to grow greenery.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Black Dog wrote: »
    Seems a reasonable quotation. I had three very large pine trees, 50 - 60 feet, removed at a cost of 1,200; completely removed, every last bit.

You might find someone who would remove the tree for free so as to get free timber. Might be worth putting a notice somewhere on Boards or making a few enquiries locally.

One thing to be very carefull of here is this......

Insurance and public liability insurance.

Is the person qualified at felling trees?
    Do they have insurance and public liability insurance too?

Remember,if the person is felling trees on your property and they aint insured,then you are liable for their injury.injury to anyone else and also any damage to property that they may cause.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Try woodpeckerenv.ie their rates are very reasonable

paddy147 wrote: »
    One thing to be very carefull of here is this......

Insurance and public liability insurance.

Is the person qualified at felling trees?
    Do they have insurance and public liability insurance too?

Remember,if the person is felling trees on your property and they aint insured,then you are liable for their injury.injury to anyone else and also any damage to property that they may cause.;)

+1 on the insurance. I gave the job to the guy who came to quote with proof of insurance on him. I've had workmen before tell me that they are insured, and "forget" the cert. they don't even get passed my door. It's also worth phoning the broker to confirm that the cert is genuine, would be an easy thing to fake.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yep; pay a local handyman (without insurance) to take your tree down, and watch man break the sound barrier for the first time if a big branch falls on your car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Black Dog

Yes, the people who did the job, three large pines, for me were insured, qualified etc. Showed certification without being asked.

Roots and stumps were left in the ground - it was a position where that didn't matter.

Advertisement