Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PRTB

Options
  • 20-05-2012 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi guys

I'm a landlord that have paid the PRTB fee for two years running as i have had two different set of tenants. This month I got new tenants again and am questioning the benefit of paying the fee. I know its the law but will I get caught if i don't pay it? Seems like such a waste of money!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

By not paying it you won't be able to offset your mortgage interest element on your tax return.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭not even wrong

Also you will be unable to refer a dispute to the PRTB. This could leave you in a situation where the tenant refuses to pay rent and ignores your eviction notice and there's nothing you can do about it.
    http://public.prtb.ie/DownloadDocs/Termination%20of%20Tenancy%20for%20non-payment%20of%20rent-%2023rd%20March%202011.pdf
    Registered landlords should apply to the PRTB for dispute resolution in cases where a tenant fails to vacate the rental dwelling after the expiry of valid notices of rent arrears and termination. The PRTB will prioritise such cases for an adjudication hearing and will make an enforceable Determination Order requiring the tenant to vacate the property, if validly served notices have expired. ... Landlords or their agents must never remove a tenant or their property from a rental dwelling themselves or interfere with their utilities e.g. electricity or water supply as this will be treated as an unlawful termination of tenancy, with potential awards of damages in favour of the tenant of up to €20,000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Hi guys

I'm a landlord that have paid the PRTB fee for two years running as i have had two different set of tenants. This month I got new tenants again and am questioning the benefit of paying the fee. I know its the law but will I get caught if i don't pay it? Seems like such a waste of money!
    You could always not register the tenancy nor pay the fee - provided your are happy to pay the late registration fee when you have been found out as the PRTB now have a record of the address of your property.

Your question also makes me wonder if you are paying the NPPR, household charge, income tax, landlord's insurance etc - after all, they are not of any benefit to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Also you will be unable to refer a dispute to the PRTB. This could leave you in a situation where the tenant refuses to pay rent and ignores your eviction notice and there's nothing you can do about it.

The PRTB are fcuking useless in this and all other regards.

They are only good at generating revenue to fund their own existence.

In the case of non-payment of rent, they actually make the situation worse, as the LL is forced to go through them and their 12 month plus waiting periods, rather than move immediately to eviction after appropriate notice is served.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

odds_on wrote: »

Your question also makes me wonder if you are paying the NPPR, household charge, income tax, landlord's insurance etc - after all, they are not of any benefit to you.

This is a meaningless and therefore useless comment.

Who cares what you wonder?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭bop1977

Here is a complete dodgy but legitimate answer. The PRTB will see that there is a tenancy registered to the house. If you have not told them that this tenancy has ended, then they are happy to accept that the house is registered. Say nothing and don’t pay until the end of the 4 years. Then register whatever tenancy you have in the house and the cycle continues. As I said this is slightly dodgy thing to do.

Here is what happened me with them during last years tax return. In 2011 I was registered up until May. I got the full year’s allowance for mortgage interest relief after I got a letter from the PRTB saying i was registered until may 2011. I am now fully paid up for the next 4 years before all the HHB get on board.

Again as i said this advise is dodgy but to hell with this PRTB scam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

The PRTB will only get worse. On a programme on the TV recently they said they had now less staff and their budget has been cut. I think they are self funded now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭djmcr

Hi guys

Your tenants could use it against you if you dont register. My landlord didn't register and I'm not ashamed to say that I used it to my favor when he tried to force me to sign a new fixed term lease when we were in a Part 4 tenancy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

You can legally get the tenants to pay the registration fee as part of their contract but it is the landlords responsibility to ensure it is registered. If a tenant makes a claim against you for whatever reason I doubt the prtb will look to kindly on you and are supposed to fine you. Looking at the prime time show though it doesn't look like they use their teeth much.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭thetl

UDP wrote: »
    You can legally get the tenants to pay the registration fee as part of their contract but it is the landlords responsibility to ensure it is registered. If a tenant makes a claim against you for whatever reason I doubt the prtb will look to kindly on you and are supposed to fine you. Looking at the prime time show though it doesn't look like they use their teeth much.
    Use their teeth much I have seen more teeth on a hen prtb are a total waste of time they do not live in the real world and are strangling honest landlords

• Advertisement
Advertisement